If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

When is compatible media transcoded anyway?

ZeaferZeafer Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having issues with streams being needlessly transcoded for XBox 360.

My media file uses the following encoding:
Format: Matroska (.mkv)
Overall bitrate: 1297 kb/s
Video: AVC (x264), High@L4, 1280x720, 23.976 constant frame rate.
Audio: AAC, 64.0 kb/s, 2 channels

Why are both video and audio streams being transcoded for the XBox 360 player? Video: Transcode (h264) Audio: Transcode (aac)

I know directplay isn't possible on Xbox 360, so I expected the container format to be transcoded. But my CPU is melting whenever I try to play this movie with my XBox 360. It works fine on other players and direct streams as expected.

Is there some easy way to test the compatibility with different Plex Clients?

Thanks,
Shane.

Answers

• jesseeverhartjesseeverhart Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 15

I would try muxing it to an mp4.
    I think the 360 is saying F NO to the mkv regardless and you're getting a full on transcode.
    https://ffmpeg.org/download.html
    Download ffmpeg and run this from a cmd in the same directory...
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -map 0 -c:v copy -c:a copy -movflags +faststart output.mp4
    You also may have subtitles in that mkv that are getting transcoded.

• ZeaferZeafer Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you @jesseeverhart for your assistance. The issue appears to have been resolved with the latest server update, so I can safely assume that either the XBox360 profile was updated, or the bug which was causing this has been squashed. ffmpeg is a great tool, and although I do prefer GUI tools where possible, I appreciate the flexibility of the command line. HandbrakeCLI has been getting quite a work out lately for my transcoding ;)