Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Samsung un50ku6300 Plex changing mkv to mpg and files wont play.

thebudman420thebudman420 Posts: 12Members ✭✭

I am trying to play .mkv h265 hevc on my samsung un50ku6300. This is a 2016 tv i got black friday and plays all the latest filetypes. I am trying to do it without using the plex app on the tv by going through sources and plex server. The problem is they are listed as .mpg and it is like my pc tries to encode them and i get an error in the tv that states something went wrong. The files will play perfectly fine if i put them on a usb drive attached to my tv. Need help fixing this and preventing plex from transcoding causing the file to show up as mpg on the tv.

Answers

• thebudman420thebudman420 Posts: 12Members ✭✭
    edited January 16

This seems to be the supported file types. samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049184/

This is my user manual. downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201612/20161209095658187/ENG_US-JZATSCK-1.2.2.pdf

Forgot to add i am using Linux Mint 17.3 and Linux Mint 18.1. I tried mediatomb and it is very fast and played my h265 but without ability to pause and seek for some reason a bug in a build i had i guess. It is very fast compared to plex like a night and day difference. I didn't use it that long and i am trying to get plex to know h265 is playable on my tv and transcoding is not needed. They wont even play when it tries to transcode and plex grinds pc with a quad core phenom II 945 @ 3ghz to a halt. I also have 8gb of system memory. and a xfx ati radeon hd 4850 1gb graphics card. It is a pc i built as i build pc's It is just not the latest tech any longer. While i like plex it has a lot of quirks and coding mistakes / bugs. And a lot of very bad design decisions. I play files from my uncles pc DLNA from windows media player to the tv and it all just works. No needing to transcode or anything.

So i been reading the forums. Is this a profile issue in plex? i have no idea how to make a working profile for my tv, I just know plex is transcoding files that don't need to be transcoded as they play fine if on usb or if using another media server.

• kinslayer666kinslayer666 Posts: 2Members

I have the same problem.
    Have you tried playing them via the web interface? Web interface works for me, the only thing that's not working is directly via dlna...

• ksylianksylian Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Same problem here with Samsung smart TV. Almost all my videos are .mkv but they're listed as .mpg when viewed from the DLNA server and my tv can't play them.
    It's a shame there is no a single response here from the Plex team.

I never found a solution other than using the plex app on my tv instead of the native player. The problem is it wants to transcode things the tv supports.