Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is this thing dead or what?

cryptochromecryptochrome Posts: 969Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I've been a long time "defender" of the decision to abandon PHT and move on to PMP. But recently I started to wonder where Plex's priorities have gone to. PMP's first release was in October 2015, where a huge outcry happened from the community. Plex promised to deliver updates and make PMP as good - if not better - than PHT.

I am not seeing that anymore. There used to be weekly status updates and all that, but we're not getting even that anymore. Instead, we see a whole lot of effort being put in other projects, like Plex for Kodi. And instead of delivering the long promised UI overhaul of PMP we get a web interface in PMP that essentially displays Plex/Web inside PMP. Really?

I am starting to lose faith here.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
http://flickr.com/cryptochrome
Twitter: @cryptochrome

Comments

• reddwarfcrewreddwarfcrew Posts: 625Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I lost faith a long time ago and now use the Kodi Plex Add-on. This new app is everything PMP should have been. I strongly recommend giving it a go. I don't see any reason now for me to try PMP when the new UI surfaces.

• tobiashietatobiashieta Plex Dev Team Posts: 5,524Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Not dead. We have been on holiday leave and we are slowly getting back up to speed.

Follow me on twitter @tobiashieta or G+

• TurboJailerTurboJailer Posts: 298Members ✭✭✭

Take your time and don't let a few naysayers sway or discourage you.

I'm one of what seems like about 3 people on this board that like the new PMP so keep up the good work!

• lootolootolootolooto Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@TurboJailer said:
    Take your time and don't let a few naysayers sway or discourage you.

I'm one of what seems like about 3 people on this board that like the new PMP so keep up the good work!

same here, while I have not used Kodi addo-on I have to say my PMP experience has been great.
    PMP is the only tool I use on my dedicated Media Server. it also works perfect with my Harmony universal remote control.
    it could benefit with some upgrades such as internal re-mappable (is that a word?) shortcuts but all in all I love it!

• dannywsudannywsu Posts: 176Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I love PMP but I've begun to be a little frustrated and impatient that some features from PHT are still missing over a year later and I see iterations and updates for Roku, AppleTV, etc. on a FREQUENT basis but see large gaps (months) in between any real progress in PMP.

The new design language and layout hasn't even fully made its way to PMP (compare it to the other platforms and see) and the new Kodi plug-in has already changed the language again. If PMP is supposed to be flagship (is it?) then why isn't it getting the most attention and the first updates for new design, technology, features. That's what a flagship is supposed to be.

PMS | Custom HTPC w/ AMD FX-8320, 256 GB SSD, & 8gb Ram  |  Storage | 16 TB Drobo  |  Clients | Nvidia Shield (2017), Vizio M43-C1, Apple TV 4, Roku 3, Roku 2 XD, Xbox 360, Amazon fireTV stick  |  Mobile Clients | 2 x iPhone 6s, iPad Mini 4, iPad Mini 2

TV | Sharp 60LE847 |  Receiver | Onkyo TX-NR616, 7.1 DTS-MA and True-HD  |  Remote | Logitech Harmony 700  |  Automation | SabNZBD+, deluge, Sonarr, & Radarr  |  Server Monitoring | PlexPy & HTPC Manager

• stefanvanruitenstefanvanruiten Posts: 251Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 15

I think currently the kodi addon layout is definitely better then PMP but still not nearly as good as the native Kodi estuary v2 interface. Hope they will get full library integration going at some point in the future.

As for PMP I've pretty much given up on it by now, every release feels like a step backward or at least since 1.2.0. The web interface is useless for me personally and after a year and a half no missing features from the deceased PHT have been brought back to PMP. At least it makes it easier to get rid of my Windows setup this way and reinstall on Ubuntu when 16.04.02 lands this month.

After the initial outcry the Plex team was quick to respond and I loved the frequent semi weekly updates and patient and understanding feedback we've seen here from vlang and Tobias and promises of improvements after the initial "preview".

However it still didn't seem to have brought us an improved flagship product just yet (or is it?).

Heck the official Kodi add-on has reached more in a few weeks then PMP has in over a year unfortunately, good job by Keith there but of course it was build on the mature Kodi base and wasn't a total fresh start. If the new skin would allow since manual tweaking it would be more then serviceable for sure.

edited January 15

@stefanvanruiten said:
    Heck the official Kodi add-on has reached more in a few weeks then PMP has in over a year unfortunately, good job by Keith there but of course it was build on the mature Kodi base and wasn't a total fresh start. If the new skin would allow since manual tweaking it would be more then serviceable for sure.

That's the irony. We were told the reason PHT was dropped and PMP brought in was mainly due to PHT being built around a kodi code base and that by moving to the new PMP code would allow quicker builds. Over a year since launch and the kodi team walk up and deliver a far more polished product. If plex has now decided that kodi code base does have a future then lets ditch PMP and put all the effort into the kodi addon.

• stefanvanruitenstefanvanruiten Posts: 251Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 15

@reddwarfcrew said:
    If plex has now decided that kodi code base does have a future then lets ditch PMP and put all the effort into the kodi addon.

I hadn't even thought about it that way, that's interesting for sure.

Plex could just go all in on the Kodi add on and perhaps even facilitate official library integration with the resources coming available when lowering PMP priority. Stuff to ponder about.

Probably not going to happen I think though, I am sure the Plex team will want their own flagship app and not "merely" an addon, even though it's available on a lot other platforms as well and instantly solves the dilemma I keep reading about on supporting windows 32bit, ubuntu, etc.

• Stephen3001Stephen3001 Posts: 173Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really want to use PMP, but it was just too unstable to get any consistent use from it. Using Open PHT at the moment, it stable, doesn't do anything strange to the files when they are played (drop frames etc), and works consistently.

As soon as PMP gets to that place I will move back and use it.

****My Equipment****

PMS Media Server/Storage - QNAP TVS-1282T (I7, 32Gb RAM) 48TB Storage, QNAP TVS-463 12TB

1Gb Wired Networking.

Media Players
    OpenPHT on Intel NUC6I5SYH Core i5 NUC, XBOXOne, iPad, iPhone, Android Phone, Chromecast

• wayned42wayned42 Posts: 263Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 16

@stefanvanruiten said:
    I think currently the kodi addon layout is definitely better then PMP [...]

Am I the only one that disagrees with this? I consider the kodi-addon layout a step backwards. There was a huge outcry over the 2-poster left/right scrolling in PMP, and tKA instead gives us one-poster left/right scrolling. Ouch. I would like it quite a bit if there was just a button to switch from the summary page to a full-page version of each line's list (as both PMP & PHT provide). I tried to find some kind of "drill down" keystroke, but failed. So, I see no way to easily get to a full-page list of On Deck items (or Recently Added) that I can scroll through quickly (i.e. vertically). I do quite like the info pages for shows, seasons, and episodes, though. I do miss the ability to press play on a poster (without visiting the episode's info screen), though.

As for PMP, I continue to check to see if there is any sign of the new layout, but I've gotten pretty discouraged of late, so I don't check very often anymore.

@wayned42 said:

@stefanvanruiten said:
    I think currently the kodi addon layout is definitely better then PMP [...]

Am I the only one that disagrees with this? I consider the kodi-addon layout a step backwards. There was a huge outcry over the 2-poster left/right scrolling in PMP, and tKA instead gives us one-poster left/right scrolling.

I fed that back immediately and the bug was fixed. It's now 2 pages vertical scrolling. Would still prefer 3 rows x 8 posters, but either way the kodi add on beats PMP hands down.

• wayned42wayned42 Posts: 263Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You're talking about something very different. The main page is a series of one-poster lists with horizontal scrolling, and no way to get to a full page of vertical-scrolling posters.

Ah, see what you mean. Yeah that doesn't bother me as I just go direct into the appropriately library. Also this isn't really any different to how PHT worked where on the home screen you would highlight a library and be presented with 2 sections which both had one row of posters and horizontal scrolling (On deck and recently added).

For me, it's a lot closer to PHT than PMP is. The PMP opening screen is a mismash of all sorts in a mosaic crazed style.

• daculadacula Posts: 62Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any ETA on this?

• DwainnDwainn Posts: 354Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can tell you that the Kodi addon is much better than PMP which is very strange. It has features like Netflix style nextup and a much nicer UI. Only downside is you launch Kodi first.

@Dwain M said:
    I can tell you that the Kodi addon is much better than PMP which is very strange. It has features like Netflix style nextup and a much nicer UI. Only downside is you launch Kodi first.

Go into the plex add on settings and you can set plex to auto launch when you start kodi.

• DwainnDwainn Posts: 354Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@reddwarfcrew said:

@Dwain M said:

Go into the plex add on settings and you can set plex to auto launch when you start kodi.

I know this. It doesn't change the fact that you have to launch kodi to launch plex.

• cryptochromecryptochrome Posts: 969Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't know, Plex Devs. There is this thing that I can see everywhere throughout your product range. You try to be everywhere, start something new and then let it rot. Look at Plex/Web. The new dashboard homepage was introduced many moons ago, along with a note that this new design would make it to all other areas of Plex/Web. That never happened. We're still looking at a "preview" dashboard today, while the rest of Plex/Web hasn't been touched. Why do you always lose focus? Seems to become a common trend. Start something, don't finish it, start something else (DVR, Plex Kodi, PMP...). It gets REALLY frustrating, you know? Focus!

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    http://flickr.com/cryptochrome
    Twitter: @cryptochrome

Fast approaching the end of Jan and no news for what feels like months.

Plex for Kodi is pretty much where it needs to be, so I will accept that. Shame the journey with PMP has come to an end. I still rank @orcas excellent samsung app as the best client around from a UI perspective with Plex for Kodi the best from being able to play anything you throw at it.

I feel sorry for @tobiashieta who has had to face off on this forum when he must deep down know that this is a dead duck.

The last round of roundtables gave me hope of a change in plex approach, but the roundtables are just flannel to pacify people. In reality there is no change.

Plex for Alexa sounded promising but has been silent for ages. So many new projects that get ditched as soon as the launch.

My only concern is that this approach will eventually lead to plex going under and with the Plex Home approach needing to contact the plex servers, we could all be left with nothing. Fortunately I keep a copy of all previous PMS's so I can roll back if the end does finally come.

• SteveMcNallySteveMcNally Posts: 316Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex is such a weird company... I almost admire their ability to completely disregard the users these days and just do whatever they feel like whenever they feel like it lol. You'd think at some stage they might lose faith in this approach, but their commitment never wavers. That's impressive.

The whole 'launch a new feature nobody really wanted then abandon it half finished' thing is infuriating though.

As is the fact that they adandoned PHT for this thing. I kind of wish they'd just forget making any clients now and just focus on the server (which also seems neglected now).