If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

going off plex.. coding is a bitch.

tonyb554tonyb554 Posts: 8Members Plex Pass

im a complete noob in coding and have tried tearing down some channels and cannot get things to work properly.
I just wanted a simple channel that i can add videos and the images to an xml file and it would play, i have some 4k content in mp4, mkv files and got some things working but not properly. Tried tagesschau but i cant get it to pull the thumbnails at all it just says channel not responding. some guys have tried to help but its not working out properly. does anyone know what i can do? i just want something like tagesschau but where i can edit it all in an xml and it works

Answers

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,255Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I do feel your pain here, and all I can say is sadly, that it took me 1 year to release my first lines of code :-(

Still learning here, and finally got over the hill, and down the hill, dev. is faster, so do hang in there

/T

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• tonyb554tonyb554 Posts: 8Members Plex Pass

i would love to but the channel im after is so simple but i cant edit it or it fails? i only want the thumb nails to work and im there, got a new 4k tv so its for that and other devices but im not hosting files thats why i need it but its racking my brain. tried tearing down twit and that leads to a webpage and the webpage doesnt read mkv so it fails, im having a nightmare! :(

• tonyb554tonyb554 Posts: 8Members Plex Pass

does any one have any help or tips? dont want the code writing for me i would like to see how its done but theres nothing out there for plex, no tutorials nothing.. its just like shooting in the dark

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,255Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I'm sorry, but as said, I don't code regular channels, so not into the stuff here...

What I do, is create tools, that only involves the framework itself, and not involving other websites...

When said, in Plex2CSV, I do change the icon of the directory objects based on the type of the library

/T

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• TwoureTwoure Posts: 583Members ✭✭✭

@dane22 said:
    I do feel your pain here, and all I can say is sadly, that it took me 1 year to release my first lines of code :-(

Yup, started out with little coding background as well. Only knew LabVIEW and the basic concepts of C++, no Python, JavaScript, HTML, XML knowledge at the time. Released first code 4 months after fumbling around learning Python and Plex Framework... was rough and very buggy. I too feel much more comfortable now after a year of Plex channel coding.

Still learning here, and finally got over the hill, and down the hill, dev. is faster, so do hang in there

Can confirm, once getting over initial learning curve, its not so bad. And yes, always learning too...

@tonyb554 said:
    does any one have any help or tips? dont want the code writing for me i would like to see how its done but theres nothing out there for plex, no tutorials nothing.. its just like shooting in the dark

Another user asked me a similar question, so I compiled a small list of reading material for them. Refer to Comment_1324842 for more info.

• czukowskiczukowski Posts: 131Members ✭✭✭
    edited January 20

@tonyb554 said:
    ... theres nothing out there for plex, no tutorials nothing.. its just like shooting in the dark

There's a tutorial right there, pinned on top of this sub-forum: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/28084/plex-plugin-development-walkthrough/p1

@tonyb554 said:
    ... it just says channel not responding

It looks like you're just trying to see the changes you've made in a Plex client. That can get very frustrating. I'd suggest browsing channel XML in a web browser. Its output is pretty obvious. What's more important, you'll see the errors including the stack trace that tells you exactly where the error is occurring■. Only after you're happy with what you see in the channel XML, go take a look at it in an actual Plex client.

■ while technically true, at times, there are errors with messages and traces that are not at all helpful (but that's what the forum here is for)

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,691Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@tonyb554 said:
    does any one have any help or tips? dont want the code writing for me i would like to see how its done

The problem is that if we don't have some existing code to look at, we can't push you in the right direction. Your channel not working can be something big, but also something simple as a missing semicolon or an indentation problem.

• jaywjay03jaywjay03 Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's python mate.

I learnt by replicating already existing channels.