Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Synchronisation failed due to Error "This Media was unable to be analyzed"

SHsnakeSHsnake Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am encountering the same problem for the iOS sync option on both my iPhone and iPad. Every time I intend to sync unmatched movies to my devices some (random) movies fail with the error message "this media was unable to be analyzed". The strange part is that it seems completely random. While one movie is successful synced to the iPhone the same movie fails on the iPhone. I make sure that the sync settings are exactly the same and both devices are on the same network with my Plex Server. I am running the plex server on my Synology DS214play NAS.
I do not have any problem with sync on my Android Tab (Galaxy Tab S) or Android phone (Galaxy S5). I even optimized the movies on the server with same settings (optimized for mobile) but if I set up an sync for the same movies where an optimized plex version is already available it still starts a new conversion and the same error occurs.
I am running out of option what to try in order to make the sync work. Strangely I never encounter this problem with any TV Show I sync (I tried several file formats, resolutions, coding, file sizes, etc). Only movies are showing this behavior.
Worst part is that I have to delete the complete sync (including already successfully synced movies) in order to retry. As I mentioned next time other movies fail, therefore to retry the failed ones only would be a big help.
I am a plex lifetime subscriber and bought the plex pass exactly for the great sync options.

Best Answer

«134

Answers

  • KeifrKeifr Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    There are a few reports of this, I fixed but reverting to an earlier version.

  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 14,232Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    Hello @SHsnake, welcome to the forums.

    As just mentioned, there have been a few reports of this issue. We are looking into it but don't have anything to share at the moment.

  • kcheniskchenis Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Just to add to this, I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm using a Galaxy Tab S, so it is not ios specific. Started with the latest updates when all my synced content also disappeared on the Galaxy Tab S. In trying to address that, I ended up uninstalling, and deleting/resetting everything and starting over (advise from another thread). Then I had to re-sync all the content and have been getting this error consistently. Out of 20 movies, I've only been able to get 3 synced to the tablet "successfully", but even those "successful" items don't show up in the tablet. These latest updates appear to have broken pretty much all the sync functionality I've been using. How do I recover from this? Really miss my movies when I travel.

  • pattontpattont Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 18

    I'm having this issue as well on my iPad with the latest OS, Plex iOS, and Plex Media Server (Windows Public). Is there a short term workaround at the moment? I can't get anything to sync to my device.

  • mdebloismdeblois Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Hi,

    Just to add more information to this bug. I am having the same issue with the latest version of Plex server. The client doesn't seem to have an impact as a tried several Android (Xiaomi Mi5, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S5, Nexus 4, Galaxy Tab E) and IOS devices (Iphone 4). I was able to sync music and smaller TV shows (30 min) but anything over 1 hour failed (mostly movies).

    I reverted to version 1.2.7.2987 and it is working now (same movie, same client device)

  • pattontpattont Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Yea, definitely broken in 1.3.3.3148. Not sure the best method to go backwards without setting everything back up. I'm travelling soon so I hope this is resolved in the next few days.

  • mdebloismdeblois Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Hi pattont,

    I had the same fear. Just uninstall the current version and reinstall a previous build (I used 1.2.7.2987 from November 2016). As long as you keep all the default options when you install it (same user as well), you will get everything back as it was.

  • pattontpattont Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @mdeblois said:
    Hi pattont,

    I had the same fear. Just uninstall the current version and reinstall a previous build (I used 1.2.7.2987 from November 2016). As long as you keep all the default options when you install it (same user as well), you will get everything back as it was.

    Yea, I re-read through the patch notes. I'm worried I will break something else specifically with AppleTV. I will just hope that a patch is out this week or first of next. I have travel coming up that I really want to sync stuff from Plex.

  • deepsethdeepseth Posts: 264Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    It's working fine for me on 0.9.16.6.1993, I upgraded from that to 1.1.3.2700 and found it was broken (so reverted to 0.9.16.6).

    I setup a second server recently on 1.3.3.3148 and only added a known problem file to that library and synced it, and it worked fine for me, but another on the thread (@keksznet on https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/227228/something-went-wrong-playing-your-media-please-try-again) reported that it's not working for him.

    I haven't tried 1.2.7.2987 myself yet, nor upgraded my main server from 0.9.16.6 yet to verify anything further on that.

  • pattontpattont Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I don't want this issue to fall by the wayside. Sync is totally broken in 1.3.3.3148 to iOS devices.

  • Steeve24Steeve24 Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @pattont said:
    I don't want this issue to fall by the wayside. Sync is totally broken in 1.3.3.3148 to iOS devices.

    Agreed, it does work sometimes for me, but mostly just fails again and again with no clear reason why.

    (Can supply logs, just unsure which log is needed for this issue)

  • pattontpattont Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Here is my "sanitized log". I'm not sure what good this is going to do, but I tried to do a sync, got the error, and then went to the log and searched for the media I tried to sync (Movie). This is the only references to the movie I tried to sync in the logs created around the time I did the sync to my iPad.

  • pattontpattont Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    any update here? I am travelling this Sunday and really want to sync some shows/movies.

  • vinchi007vinchi007 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I never had these problems until last week (latest server and ios app, no recent updates) when I changed Sync quality on my iOS plex app to "Original, 1080p (Highest)". I changed the quality in order to get faster files syncs (thinking no video conversion, only audio to AAC). Once I changed the quality setting, some media files were failing to sync with error "This Media was unable to be analyzed".
    Noticed that conversation goes through okay, when PMS prepares media for Sync. The problem error shows after conversion and when its ready to Sync (download). Also, did not see any common codecs that might be causing the failures. Here are two files which failed:

    # mkvmerge -i file1.avi
    File 'file1.avi': container: AVI
    Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p2)
    Track ID 1: audio (AC-3/E-AC-3)
    Track ID 2: audio (AC-3/E-AC-3)
    
    # mkvmerge -i file2.mkv
    File 'file2.mkv': container: Matroska
    Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p10/AVC/h.264)
    Track ID 1: audio (AC-3/E-AC-3)
    Track ID 2: audio (DTS)
    Track ID 3: subtitles (SubRip/SRT)
    

    **Solution **which worked for me at least, I changed Sync quality setting to Medium, removed and added back the media to Sync.

  • pattontpattont Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @vinchi007 said:
    I never had these problems until last week (latest server and ios app, no recent updates) when I changed Sync quality on my iOS plex app to "Original, 1080p (Highest)". I changed the quality in order to get faster files syncs (thinking no video conversion, only audio to AAC). Once I changed the quality setting, some media files were failing to sync with error "This Media was unable to be analyzed".
    Noticed that conversation goes through okay, when PMS prepares media for Sync. The problem error shows after conversion and when its ready to Sync (download). Also, did not see any common codecs that might be causing the failures. Here are two files which failed:

    # mkvmerge -i file1.avi
    File 'file1.avi': container: AVI
    Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p2)
    Track ID 1: audio (AC-3/E-AC-3)
    Track ID 2: audio (AC-3/E-AC-3)
    
    # mkvmerge -i file2.mkv
    File 'file2.mkv': container: Matroska
    Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p10/AVC/h.264)
    Track ID 1: audio (AC-3/E-AC-3)
    Track ID 2: audio (DTS)
    Track ID 3: subtitles (SubRip/SRT)
    

    **Solution **which worked for me at least, I changed Sync quality setting to Medium, removed and added back the media to Sync.

    Medium doesn't work for me, that's my normal setting on my iPad Mini 4 due to the fact that you can't tell the quality difference in the higher sync qualities. Mine are still failing. Are you syncing media < 1hr in run time?

  • brown705brown705 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @mdeblois said:
    Hi pattont,

    I had the same fear. Just uninstall the current version and reinstall a previous build (I used 1.2.7.2987 from November 2016). As long as you keep all the default options when you install it (same user as well), you will get everything back as it was.

    I was having the same sync issue. I followed these steps (uninstall and install of 1.2.7.2987) and my sync is working again. I hope this issue is resolved in the next Plex Server update.

  • pattontpattont Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @brown705 said:

    @mdeblois said:
    Hi pattont,

    I had the same fear. Just uninstall the current version and reinstall a previous build (I used 1.2.7.2987 from November 2016). As long as you keep all the default options when you install it (same user as well), you will get everything back as it was.

    I was having the same sync issue. I followed these steps (uninstall and install of 1.2.7.2987) and my sync is working again. I hope this issue is resolved in the next Plex Server update.

    Has anyone tried version 1.3.4.3285? There was nothing about a fix for sync in the patch notes, but curious. I'm remote from my server currently and my hotel wifi is horrible so I won't be able to try until this weekend.

  • mcbridermcbrider Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @pattont said:

    @brown705 said:

    @mdeblois said:
    Hi pattont,

    I had the same fear. Just uninstall the current version and reinstall a previous build (I used 1.2.7.2987 from November 2016). As long as you keep all the default options when you install it (same user as well), you will get everything back as it was.

    I was having the same sync issue. I followed these steps (uninstall and install of 1.2.7.2987) and my sync is working again. I hope this issue is resolved in the next Plex Server update.

    Has anyone tried version 1.3.4.3285? There was nothing about a fix for sync in the patch notes, but curious. I'm remote from my server currently and my hotel wifi is horrible so I won't be able to try until this weekend.

    Just upgraded to the new release overnight and did a test on a previous movie that had been failing. Sorry to say its still failing :(

  • pattontpattont Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    Thanks for posting back your experience. Hopefully if this gets enough hits
    we will get some support on it. I'm having to handbrake/vlc transfer my
    files to my iPad right now. Really miss plex sync!
  • statecbstatecb Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 3

    I was hoping the latest update (1.3.4.3285) would fix this problem. It did not. Some people report intermittent success, I have had zero success since 1.3.3.3148.

    Platforms:
    Server: Windows
    Devices: Google Pixel XL, Surface Pro 4, Other Android tablet (freebie, don't recall Mfr)

    One thing I have noticed, not sure if this is an issue, but the directory setup for transcoding temp files has directories created during the conversion process - but I never see any files in any of the directories during conversion. Is this normal? Reaching for straws here....where are the converted media files stored once complete?

    Found the converted movie - plays fine.

«134
Sign In or Register to comment.