Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

On deck issues with following episode

zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Members Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

After watching an episode of a TV series, the next episode used to appear in the on deck session of both Plex Media Player and Opera TV Plex app for Smart TV. Recently it doesn't work like that anymore and after finishing an episode nothing is added to the home section of PMP or other client. Is this related to the episodes being all marked as watched? Or is this an issue and where I can check in the logs to see if something wrong is happening?

Comments

• trumpy81trumpy81 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 8,869 Plex Ninja

If all of the episodes are marked as watched, then Plex will not add the next episode to On Deck. If the rest of the episodes are marked as unwatched, then Plex will add the next episode to On Deck, or at least it should.

Perhaps PMP is simply not updating On Deck as it should and you may need to refresh the page before it shows up.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,863 Plex Pass

Also Plex screws up "next" if some of the remaining episodes are marked as watched and some not.
    If I have a series with 10 episodes and episode 1, 2,3 and 7 are marked watched and I then watch episode 4 Plex will incorrectly present episode 8 on deck as "next" instead of the correct episode, 5.

I have mentioned this before and one of the Plex Gods said it was correct behavior but it is NOT. The "next" episode should always be the first unwatched after the one that was just watched regardless of watched status of subsequent episodes.

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Members Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

@trumpy81 said:
    If all of the episodes are marked as watched, then Plex will not add the next episode to On Deck.

Oh, that's a pity because I have one TV series that I keep watching over and over so all episodes are already watched :( In the past it used to work even if episodes were already watched. I'll unwatch everything before watching the show again.

Perhaps PMP is simply not updating On Deck as it should and you may need to refresh the page before it shows up.

I will check again regarding the watched/unwatched status, thank you.

@Elijah_Baley said:
    Also Plex screws up "next" if some of the remaining episodes are marked as watched and some not.
    If I have a series with 10 episodes and episode 1, 2,3 and 7 are marked watched and I then watch episode 4 Plex will incorrectly present episode 8 on deck as "next" instead of the correct episode, 5.

Good to know thank you

I have mentioned this before and one of the Plex Gods said it was correct behavior but it is NOT. The "next" episode should always be the first unwatched after the one that was just watched regardless of watched status of subsequent episodes.

But this means that each time you want to re-watch a series you have to un-watch everything... To me "next" episode is... next episode, regardless if I watched it or not.

@zpaolo11x said:

@trumpy81 said:
    If all of the episodes are marked as watched, then Plex will not add the next episode to On Deck.

Oh, that's a pity because I have one TV series that I keep watching over and over so all episodes are already watched :( In the past it used to work even if episodes were already watched. I'll unwatch everything before watching the show again.

I will check again regarding the watched/unwatched status, thank you.

When you have watched a series, there is no reason you cannot set it's status to unwatched and then continue to watch it again. That is what I do at least.

@Elijah_Baley said:

Technically, that is correct, 8 comes after 7, but I do see your point in that Plex should continue with episode 4, 4 being the lowest numbered unwatched episode, but then episode 7 would need to be skipped and if Plex were to follow the simple method of counting, you would end up watching episode 7 again and some people would disagree with that also.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,863 Plex Pass

@trumpy81 said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

Technically, that is correct, 8 comes after 7, but I do see your point in that Plex should continue with episode 4, 4 being the lowest numbered unwatched episode, but then episode 7 would need to be skipped and if Plex were to follow the simple method of counting, you would end up watching episode 7 again and some people would disagree with that also.

NO!!! 8 does come after 7 BUT I watched 4 and the next UNWATCHED episode is 5 NOT 7. Plex should go to the next UNWATCHED episode. In the above situation with 1, 2, 3 and 7 already watched and if I start at 4 I should next watch 5 then 6 then 8 then 9 and so on. That is if an episode is watched then it should be skipped and if it is not watched it should not be skipped. This is a case where the current behavior is simply wrong. The only other logical argument would be to never skip any episodes and that would produce the situation where you watch a previously watched episode.

In any way of looking at it the current behavior only makes sense if you watch and episode and then Plex starts at the end and progresses backward through the episodes until it finds a watched one and then moves one episode forward from that.

The logic should go very simply after an episode is completed look at the next episode and if it is unwatched the place it on deck else move to the next and so on. Jumping ahead to the last watched episode and then to the one after that is just counter to what is even remotely logical. I can see no justification for the current behavior and cannot understand why anyone would want to skip several unwatched episodes.

@trumpy81 said:
    When you have watched a series, there is no reason you cannot set it's status to unwatched and then continue to watch it again. That is what I do at least.

That's what I did yesterday and today I'll see if it works or if there's some other issue in my setup. Still it would be nice to have an option like "allow unwatched episodes on deck" for when you want to jump right into a watched series to see a bunch of episodes without having to mark the series unwatched. I'm in a minority I know :D

@Elijah_Baley said:

That is if an episode is watched then it should be skipped and if it is not watched it should not be skipped. This is a case where the current behavior is simply wrong. The only other logical argument would be to never skip any episodes and that would produce the situation where you watch a previously watched episode.

And in that case Plex could issue a warning dialog like "You already watched this episode, do you want to skip?"