Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can you run a Plex Server and client from a single Raspberry Pi 3?

ericrookericrook Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass

I was wondering if anyone has setup a single Raspberry Pi 3 to run both Plex server and client software. I currently have that setup on a Windows 7 machine but would like to switch to using a Raspberry Pi 3 with external UBS drive enclosures.

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

Answers

• HeciruamHeciruam Members, Plex Pass Posts: 145 Plex Pass

My Question is why? If you want to play this only on one device why not use KODI?

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 978 Plex Pass

@ericrook said:
    I was wondering if anyone has setup a single Raspberry Pi 3 to run both Plex server and client software. I currently have that setup on a Windows 7 machine but would like to switch to using a Raspberry Pi 3 with external UBS drive enclosures.

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

This question gets asked a lot so you can find longer answers with a quick search of the Rasplex subforum. The short answer is: No, you cannot. The rPi OpenPHT version is 'embedded' meaning it comes packaged inside (or embedded) in it's own operating system that is mostly readonly. The hardware limitations doesn't make it a good candidate for running both either.

If you want an all in one solution with a single rPi, you may want to check out LibreElec (kodi/XBMC).

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

• sremicksremick Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,149 Plex Pass

Considering Plex is a client/server solution aimed at situations where that sort of architecture is desired or needed, I failed to see the point or any benefit of the ridiculous over-complication of a solution where both are on the same box. There are countless simpler ways to play media stored locally.

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.7.1.3856 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")

• ColbaldColbald Members Posts: 1

what they appear to be really saying is no-one - not one - has developed a plex media player for a linux OS like raspbian. maybe it's a open-source issue.

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 242 Plex Pass

@Colbald said:
    what they appear to be really saying is no-one - not one - has developed a plex media player for a linux OS like raspbian. maybe it's a open-source issue.

Its not an open source issue, its just that its not on the scope of the Rasplex project. Rasplex is a nice UI fork of Kodi, and on Kodi you can do both things. If someone wants a "ready to use" server and client solution, they need to use Kodi

• dlanordlanor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,215 Plex Pass

To be precise, Kodi is not a 'server and client' solution.

Kodi is a media player with access to network and the ability to build a media library based on a combination of networked and local file systems. But it's not a server, as it can not share its media library with any other playback clients.
    Thus Kodi is suitable for cases where you ONLY want to play media on the same device that holds the media library, as no server is needed for this usage.

A Plex server is motivated when you need to access media from another device than the one holding the media library.
    And for these cases it's sometimes possible to also have some Plex client program(s) on the same device, though that depends on the OS used for both server and client. And as stated above, RasPlex uses an embedded OS that currently does not allow for a PMS server.

For those running PMS under some Linux distro for the RPi, it may be possible to use Kodi as a Plex client through one of the available addons for that purpose. Three such addons exist that I'm aware of, those being "PlexBMC", "PlexKodiConnect", and the official "Plex for Kodi" addon from Plex Inc, though I believe that one is still in a preview 'PlexPass-only' release state.

Best regards: dlanor