If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Very slow sync on IOS

djwoodydjwoody Posts: 1Validating Unconfirmed Email

I have just signed up for the Plex Pass and was looking forward to syncing content to my iPhone or iPad.
The sync speed is soooo slow.
I have 150Mb/s fibre optic broadband and it is taking me around an hour to sync one music album (200Mb).
This should be downloading in a matter of seconds.
Has anyone else had problems with the sync? Very disappointed.

Chris

Answers

• lcrivelllcrivell Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 10

Same here, in local-2-local network. Plenty of people complain about the same for many years already.

My assumption is that the sync goes via Plex servers outside instead of remaining really local-2-local.
    Plex Team: Could you please confirm ?

• mutemulemutemule Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Device: iPhone 6 128GB
    Usage pattern: almost exclusively music, syncing things at "High" quality
    Yes, I submit analytics data.

I've been struggling with sync speeds on iOS for a while, and it's really quite frustrating (iPhone 6, iOS 10). I'm sure part of my problem is due to having an older phone (~2.5 years at time of writing), but I also happened to grab syssecinfo when it was available, so I have some insight into what's happening.

Whenever I'm performing a sync operation, CPU usage on my iPhone is at 100%. Maybe it will dip down to 96% or so, but it's close enough to 100% that it's not worth distinguishing. I don't know why the CPU usage is so high, but I've run sync operations for long enough that my phone has become uncomfortably warm.

Outside of syncing, Plex is generally just incredibly slow to use: it feels very much like it's running a full Plex Server instance on the phone and talking to it via a wireless network, rather than just accessing local content (my mobile bill disagrees with this statement, but that's what it feels like).

I was under the impression that all the transcoding was happening server-side and my local device was just pulling down the transcoded content. So perhaps its a writing-to-storage thing? Perhaps its doing something weird in the local network? I don't know, but whatever is going on makes my whole phone unusable whenever I'm syncing content -- and using Plex is an increasingly frustrating experience.

• RobJPageRobJPage Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Just trying out Sync for the first time and it's still working on a 6-movie playlist for over 24 hours now. Painfully slow. My Plex server is a Mac Mini w/quad core and I'm trying to Sync that playlist to my iPhone which is on the same 802.11ac WiFi network. I looked through the forums and can see people have complained about this issue for years. I'm really surprised this hasn't been resolved. The server and the device are on the same high-speed Wifi; why in the world should it take so long to sync?

• jernaugjernaug Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 29

I've been using Plex since v3 and the synch feature to my iPad worked perfectly when I was abroad and downloading remotely over wifi to my home when in hotels etc..
    Since the upgrade to v4 synch locally has been really slow and remote synch is unusable. I generally live with this, but with a 3 week holiday coming up this long standing fault is going to be a massive pain.

The problem arrived with v4 and was never resolved along with all the other early v4 issues and seems to be a common ongoing problem :smile:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/182690/sync-slow-transcodes-ok-transfer-takes-an-age-to-start
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/4s3py4/slow_sync_with_ios/

I've tried the one option someone offered up of disabling WAN NAT redirection, but my fairly expensive Draytek Router doesn't appear to have this feature.
    Is there any hope this will be fixed, I'm happy to support the dev team with logs, but people have tried this already?

• abiduabidu Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Got the same issue here. Running Wireless 802.11AC in the house, have the plex server on a quad xeon with 200gb of ram, tried multiple os's and it seems that only ios is affected as for android it sync's very fast. I've seen many posts about fancy routers and adjust settings on the network which all these make no sense.

• pier25pier25 Posts: 1Members

Same here.

No problems with either macOS or Android, but iOS is super slow. I also have wifi AC.

• biotecsbiotecs Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Count me in to this problem. And it seems to be much older, as you can see here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/118656/sync-is-way-too-slow-on-ios-works-fine-on-android

It is really annoying that I am nearly not able to sync one movie over night.

• gmonroygmonroy Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

why not just add the ability to sync via USB cable? Syncing takes too damn long on wifi.