Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

There's a new raspi alternative, the ASUS Tinker Board

SirThanksALotSirThanksALot Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

Answers

• SirThanksALotSirThanksALot Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

Quad core 1.8GHz ARM Cortex-A17 CPU
    2GB Dual channel LPDDR3 memory
    Gigabit LAN and Bluetooth 4.0 + EDR connectivity
    802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
    4x USB 2.0 ports
    40-pin Internal header with 28 GPIO pins
    Contact points for PWM and S/PDIF signals
    1x 3.5mm Audio jack connection
    CSI port for camera connection
    DSI port supporting HD resolution
    1x HDMI 2.0 port to support 4K resolution
    Micro SD port supports UHS-I
    Supports Debian OS with KODI
    Power supply: 5V/ 2A Micro USB (not included)

• Akira_84Akira_84 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I've just seen it and would be amazing if could be Plex server installed.
    Waiting for mine

• taylor_greentaylor_green Members Posts: 2

I'm hoping Plex Server could be installed on this. The processor isn't too shabby and could handle some light transcoding without an issue. I'm hoping PMS can be installed, and if so, I'll definitely buy one of these to run my server 24/7.

• mhinterlongmhinterlong Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

hopefully it will be faster than VIA apps

• tbrassertbrasser Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

There's no sata or usb3 as far as I can tell, and also because of the gigabit lan and hdmi 2.0 I think it's an ideal Plex Client.

• taylor_greentaylor_green Members Posts: 2

@tbrasser said:
    There's no sata or usb3 as far as I can tell, and also because of the gigabit lan and hdmi 2.0 I think it's an ideal Plex Client.

It's definitely more than powerful enough for a client, but the processor is pretty powerful for the price, and USB2.0 isn't a deal breaker for server applications. Gigabit ethernet is definitely a plus for use as either a client or a server.

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 978 Plex Pass
    edited January 23

Once LibreElec is running on it, it might be possible for an OpenPHT client. The team is super small though, so there isn't much time for pursuing new devices that require additional time and effort to support. Sometimes there are resource choices between working on the bugs we have or pursuing new shiny hardware pieces.

From a server application perspective, I bet it runs PMS pretty swell. USB 2.0 will limit the number of direct streams you can support though. Maybe one or more of you fine people would like to buy the devs one to experiment on or you could do your own and post your results here?

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

• evisong1evisong1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I've just ordered one today and hope to have it by the end of the month. I don't have the knowhow to do any proper tests other than try to get PMS working and then see how many clients it will work on at the same time!

• eugovectoreugovector Members, Plex Pass Posts: 79 Plex Pass

@benjaminwolf said:
    Once LibreElec is running on it, it might be possible for an OpenPHT client. The team is super small though, so there isn't much time for pursuing new devices that require additional time and effort to support. Sometimes there are resource choices between working on the bugs we have or pursuing new shiny hardware pieces.

From a server application perspective, I bet it runs PMS pretty swell. USB 2.0 will limit the number of direct streams you can support though. Maybe one or more of you fine people would like to buy the devs one to experiment on or you could do your own and post your results here?

Yes, I rather see the team keep putting resources into the widely available and less expensive Odroid C2. More client hardware is great, but since PHT was abandoned in favor of the, IMO, inferior user experience for home theater of PMP, OpenPHT is the only thing that keeps me using Plex in my Home Theater. OpenPHT with minimal setup hassles, great performance and support for lossless/HD audio and video, running on <$60 hardware (Odroid C2) is a dream. Keep up the good work and keep Plex vital in the home, not just on mobile.

• sremicksremick Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,149 Plex Pass

The Pine64 was/is more powerful than the RasPi too, but no one bothered to make a Plex client for it. I have one sitting around gathering dust. Make me an offer.

Unfortunately the criteria for something becoming a Plex client is mostly dependent on the classic chicken/egg dilemma: they don't want to develop for anything that isn't popular, but hardware gets popular due to software being developed and available for it. RasPi got there first, so it gets all the inertia. Despite better hardware coming out left and right, no one seems to be able to be bothered in supporting it since they already hitched their wagon to the RasPi and it's "good enough".

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.7.1.3856 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")

• evisong1evisong1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

After a couple of weeks wasted trying to get this to work, I've sent it back. CPC have let me know they've stopped selling it due to a lack of support from Asus. Hopefully whenever the Raspberry Pi 4 is released it at least matches the specs of the Asus board.

• ChEeSyBoOfSChEeSyBoOfS Members Posts: 2

I have one of these running as a plexmedia server to replace a pi 2. The server runs fine until about 5 minutes into a film it locks up (client is rasplex on a pi 2). If I play the same film from the pi 2 server it is fine only interface is sticky.

As others have said support for this board is shocking!

I'm hoping a few apt-get updates and the locking up may go away but I doubt it.

• Pica62Pica62 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I have been playing with the Tinker board. I installed Kodi client and used the Plex plug-in. Seamless over 1 Gig LAN. Choppy with play movies over the web plug-in. The wifi rate is touch and go.

• Mnause79Mnause79 Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

@ChEeSyBoOfS said:
    I have one of these running as a plexmedia server to replace a pi 2. The server runs fine until about 5 minutes into a film it locks up (client is rasplex on a pi 2). If I play the same film from the pi 2 server it is fine only interface is sticky.

As others have said support for this board is shocking!

I'm hoping a few apt-get updates and the locking up may go away but I doubt it.

have you an install guide for the tinkerboard

• ChEeSyBoOfSChEeSyBoOfS Members Posts: 2

Hi,

Here is the guide I initially used,

https://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi_projects/blog/2016/03/11/a-more-powerful-plex-media-server-using-raspberry-pi-3

But I sent the Tinkerboard back for a full refund and bought another Raspberry PI 3 instead. The Tinkerboard support is still really bad and the software support even worse. Plex media server installed but would judder when serving media, the PI does not suffer this issue. If it had run the standard Raspbian distribution I may have stuck with it but as you need to run the Asus images on it I will give it a wide berth for the time being.

Regards