If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sync error "there is an error with this item"

Answers

• WRXFanaticWRXFanatic Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seem to be having the same issue. If I set a sync job at the Show level, PMS converts applicable shows and it looks like it's ready to sync but the Android Plex app says "There is an error with this item" every time.

• 4Meadway4Meadway Posts: 242Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 20

Same issue for me, generally impacts SD mkv files but HD versions seem to fair better! I have attached my logs, tried several times last Friday 17th feb to sync the classic sci-fi horror aliens all of which failed.

As a side note, when you select original quality the server should just copy the media to the device without any conversation but for some reason Plex still wants to convert something!

Decided to delete and rebuild the movie library and the sync seemed to have kicked back in however it is still converting something before it syncs even when requesting the original quality!

• vinchi007vinchi007 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@4Meadway said:
    Same issue for me, generally impacts SD mkv files but HD versions seem to fair better! I have attached my logs, tried several times last Friday 17th feb to sync the classic sci-fi horror aliens all of which failed.

As a side note, when you select original quality the server should just copy the media to the device without any conversation but for some reason Plex still wants to convert something!

I have the same issue that's described here in the forum and its frustrating that Plex team did not yet fix this bug!
    As for the "original" quality Sync you're referring above - video not be transcoded (converted) however audio will be. Most devices do not support ac3/dts audio codecs so PMS will transcode audio into AAC and will stream original video as is. if you can find a file which has both video h264 and audio aac - try to sync that and you'll see blazing fast sync and no transcoding whatsoever

I always encode our media with 2 to 3 tracks - first is a basic ACC stereo, the AC3 5.1 and if it's there a HD version etc. HD content generally syncs quicker than SD - HD minutes, SD a couple of hours to convert even thought he setting are the same for each! I use MKV and H264 for both - so why is SD taking so much longer than HD?

Subtitles are another issue - unless you pick a track you don't get them on the synced version and sometimes you don't always know which track you need till you start watching the film (always pull all the English tracks off) - if you do pick a track it takes hours to encode and I assume the PSM is creating an image of the subtitle track even though all our devices can play either VOB or PSG files directly without the need for anything to be done to them.

I know trying to make a solution with works for all the different devices out there is difficult and you most likely do need basic options for average user, but it would be great to get some more advanced options on sync - i.e. to convert or not, to pick audio tracks and to select subtitles along with where to convert them or not!

• thenicnetthenicnet Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just got this in my email today. I want to Plex. I really want to. I paid for a lifetime memership and everything.

• hawkinsbhawkinsb Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I've been trying to use sync for the past 24 hours for the first time, and the experience has been MISERABLE. I fail with this "unable to analyze" thing about 75% of the time with my media. It really does make me wonder why I paid for the Plex Pass, as this was my primary use for it...

So just as an update... After 48 hours of playing with Sync, it appears that my issues with getting the "unable to analyze" error were because my backup was kicking in. And even though I don't have the "cache" directory selected as part of the backup set, something being backed up in the database when the sync conversion was happening seemed to be interfering. Once I disabled the backup completely, all of the 50+ movies I was trying to sync suddenly worked.

• ajvirusajvirus Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@hawkinsb said:
    So just as an update... After 48 hours of playing with Sync, it appears that my issues with getting the "unable to analyze" error were because my backup was kicking in. And even though I don't have the "cache" directory selected as part of the backup set, something being backed up in the database when the sync conversion was happening seemed to be interfering. Once I disabled the backup completely, all of the 50+ movies I was trying to sync suddenly worked.

What "backup" was kicking in? I dont believe plex has a backup option does it?

• plexuser_001plexuser_001 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 3

I'm also getting this error with one particular TV episode on different versions of PMS from 1.3.4 to 1.4.3.

Plex does have a backup option, but that wasn't what I was referring to. I have a cloud backup solution that backs up my Plex database. It appears that I have to disable that backup, or it somehow causes these sync errors. I haven't had a single problem since I made that change.

2 out of the 3 failed to sync for me today even after update!

• plexuser_001plexuser_001 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I found that the hard drive on my Plex machine was low on space (<1 GB free) - freeing up some space (and clearing files from C:\Windows\Temp in particular) fixed my sync issues.

edited March 7

Really struggling to get SD content to sync...If the tablets screen goes off then it seems to fail. Never had this issue until this month!

HD is much quicker so will normally sync before the screen switches off!

@MovieFan.Plex Just wondering if you guys are aware there seems to be something up with sync?

• simondosimondo Posts: 1Members

I have an issue with sync similar to the OP.

All video media fails to sync with the error "There is an error with this item". This is after the client UI shows that the media has converted successfully, as soon as it would begin transferring. This is for single items or whole seasons.

Multiple iOS devices, internal to the network. There is a lot of space free on the drives. The plex server and client are on the latest version, and all syncing has been tried only once client and server were on the latest version.

Server is running on unraid, latest version.

Checking through the logs, I do see errors such as:
    32010: Mar 07, 2017 11:33:34.958 [0x2b70fc214700] ERROR - Sync: media analysis failed 32011: Mar 07, 2017 11:33:34.958 [0x2b70fc214700] ERROR - Sync: media analysis of success media failed for metadata item 93180

Any advice appreciated, logs available of course.

Running with latest PSM and new android update and still getting sync issues mainly on SD. It converts and at the point of sending to tablet it's reports the error!

Updated the latest PMS and sync seems to be back up and working without issue - so far its pushed out 4 films, 3 HD and 1 SD without issue however it still insists on converting stuff even when selecting original meaning no subtitles unless I remember to pick a track and then the process takes forever to convert.

• thenicnetthenicnet Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've updated to 1.4.3.3433, reanalyzed all my data, and everything seems to be working well. How about for everyone else?

• Ben/80Ben/80 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Installed 1.5.0.3501. I can now sync a file that would fail 100% of the time previously. Much better. Curiously the time it took to convert was a lot longer than usual, but at this point I'm delighted it worked at all.

• TaulkasTaulkas Posts: 42Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

2% percent better here; from previously non-functional that's barely worth mentioning. With PMS 1.3.3, it went through the motions and claimed to have sync'd, but nothing was accessible. With 1.4.4 and reinstalling the app, yet again, managed to sync my photo library, then it stalled trying to sync my music library with a log that has many errors.