Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMS Closing immediately after launch

Rob_RezRob_Rez Members Posts: 3

I'm not sure if I'm just exhausted or daft and completely overlooking something obvious, but I noticed that my Plex media server wasn't running when I came home from work this afternoon (I know it was working this AM), andI can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Upon launching PMS it shows up in my tray but as soon as I mouseover the icon it disappears. My task manager shows that it's processing the task for 1 second total.

I've tried restarting Windows (10) and reinstalling (as well as rolling back) PMS several times to no avail. I have quite a few crash logs but I can't seem to glean any useful information out of them(log file attached). I hope I didn't overlook a post that spelled out the cause for this when I searched the forums.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Rob

P.S. I don't know if it could be the culprit, but thanks to having Thumbnail Generation active, my localhost folder has slowly swelled to around 90gb.

Best Answers

Answers

• lotus1197lotus1197 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

I am having the same exact issue. My Win 10 machine rebooted after an update and now when i go to mouse over the icon, it disappears.

• moe2046moe2046 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

I have the same issue and spent that last half hour troubleshooting, will give a try to uninstalling that update, I know when I shut down last night there were updates waiting to be installed.

• scottsjscottsj Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Can confirm same problem and same resolution, uninstall of update fixes the issue. There was a lack of any meaningful information in the logs or windows event logs. There are some indications of problems with 'CompPkgSup.dll' (in system32 and SysWow64) which may or may not be related.

• scottsjscottsj Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

In researching there are indications other third party media apps are impacted by this DLL including: DVB Viewer and Cyberlink Media Server service. Must be some common component for video.

• Rob_RezRob_Rez Members Posts: 3

@lotus1197 said:
    Actually i uninstalled Windows Update KB3216755 and its now working

Thanks so much for everyone's help. Particularly Lotus for so quickly pointing this out. Can't believe I didn't think to check recent Windows updates. Sure enough as soon as I uninstalled KB3216755 everything was copacetic.

• lotus1197lotus1197 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Glad I could help. Working in IT, I started with the most basic changes that had been made and went backwards. Cheers all!!

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,112 Plex Team Member
    edited January 27

Thanks for the feedback about these crashes and KB3216755

we have had similar crashes reported before - which are believed to be windows bug. Not sure if the KB was present then - but may be a component that is part of the KB

Other similar crashes reported days/weeks before
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/253517/plexs-keeps-crashing-after-i-changed-the-hard-drive-letter-path-windows-10/p1
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/255609/crash

Other KB related thread
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/255832/windows-10-cumulative-update-3216755-causes-plex-to-silently-crash#latest

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• kalariakalaria Members, Plex Pass Posts: 80 Plex Pass

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1357110/#Comment_1357110 It seems upcoming patch KB3216755 is going to create lot of headache for plex @sa2000 . I was able to solve the problem by uninstalling the last patch.

• jpearcy00jpearcy00 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I do not even have KB3216755 installed and I am seeing the symptoms. Was there another patch that is causing this as well?

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,112 Plex Team Member
    edited January 27

@jpearcy00 said:
    I do not even have KB3216755 installed and I am seeing the symptoms. Was there another patch that is causing this as well?

There may be different problems that give rise to Plex Media Server process crashes. Suggest you raise a new forum topic attaching all the logs and giving an indication of when the crash occurred.

For location of the logs, see
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files
    If you have access to the settings, server , help page in the web client, use that to get zip of the logs and attach in your forum topic

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• SdoppelSdoppel Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

This needs to be fixed ASAP. We cannot uninstall Windows updates that fix vulnerabilities. One of the latest updates (which is coming to all Windows 10 computers soon, btw) fixes one of the oldest bugs (stuttering and lag fixes on multi-monitors).

Our PMS won't start since last night (received Windows 10 update. We're not in Insiders program).
    Please release a fix soon.

@Sdoppel said:
    This needs to be fixed ASAP. We cannot uninstall Windows updates that fix vulnerabilities. One of the latest updates (which is coming to all Windows 10 computers soon, btw) fixes one of the oldest bugs (stuttering and lag fixes on multi-monitors).

Our PMS won't start since last night (received Windows 10 update. We're not in Insiders program).
    Please release a fix soon.

This was looked into by the developers and the feedback I have is that this is a windows bug - it has been reported on msdn by @kalaria here

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/41309cf3-2ca5-4b75-9d3f-3cc9ebba8ac0/windows-media-foundation-bug-dmp-analysisdmp?forum=mediafoundationdevelopment

• jccp1205jccp1205 Members Posts: 2

Hola, he probado todo las posibles soluciones y lo único que se puede hacer es desinstalar la actualización KB3216755, reiniciar y todo ok.

• lzhaolzhao Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Just want to confirm the same issue and uninstall should be a temp solution. Considering the impact, this thread might need to be pinned to the top of the forum - I discovered this thread via googling plex + kb3216755 (after I resolved the issue by myself). Unfortunately, searching plex crash after startup didn't give much luck.

Developers are looking into ways round this Windows bug

Any Plex pass users could try out the hardware transcode preview release available on the Plex pass preview releases forums to see if that crashes or not with KB3216755

The 1.4.x preview release does not load a Windows codec which means it may avoid going through the crash path

• krazykenny2krazykenny2 Members Posts: 0

@scottsj said:
    Can confirm same problem and same resolution, uninstall of update fixes the issue. There was a lack of any meaningful information in the logs or windows event logs. There are some indications of problems with 'CompPkgSup.dll' (in system32 and SysWow64) which may or may not be related.

same probleme here with that CompPkgSup.dll from KB3216755 (14393.726) (other video playback problem)
    you have to take the ownership of that file and delete in C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    and replace them with the old version (10.0.14393.0) Download: http://rgho.st/8sTBrPQRr
    so you dont need to uninstall the whole KB3216755

greetz

• ChettersChetters Members Posts: 1

@krazykenny2 said:
    replace the CompPkgSup.dll in both folders, so you dont need to uninstall the KB3216755
    Old Version: http://rgho.st/8sTBrPQRr

This worked for me

• Father DadFather Dad Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

@krazykenny2 said:
    replace the CompPkgSup.dll in both folders, so you dont need to uninstall the KB3216755
    Old Version: http://rgho.st/8sTBrPQRr

Ditto - this worked for me too! THANK YOU!