Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex on Android TV plays only sound but no picture

mimagyarmimagyar Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Plex client on my Android TV (Philips 55PUS6561) plays only the sound but no picture. I tried to optimize the file and after converting to MP4 plays video and audio. When I try to play the same file via DLNA everything works without conversion. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Best Answer

Answers

• mimagyarmimagyar Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thank you very much for the advice. Works as it should.

• davebaridavebari Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

This workaround stopped working for me after latest update. Any suggestion why?

• davor.varga@gmail.comdavor.varga@gmail.com Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

You are right, it stoped for me too.

• davor.varga@gmail.comdavor.varga@gmail.com Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

When you go fast forward it frezese the video frame but the sound goes on for few seconds (5-7)

Maybe we will finally get the right solution for our problem with plex and philips "andorid tv" because passtrough solution was just a quick but wrong fix.
    Our (Philips xxPUSxxxx) tvs should be able to DIRECT PLAY almost everything. Like samsung.

• gvperkinsgvperkins Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited February 21

Im having the exact same issue now, its all be working fine until this week, I have tried all combination of settings and nothing seems to work. But the same files work on my roku,Ipad and firestick. Seems to be an issue with the Android client. Any one have any further suggestions?

update, very odd but I can seem to cast same videos without issue????

• mimagyarmimagyar Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

Someone tried to contact Plex support?

• Magic_435Magic_435 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I have the same issue, i can play files with DTS and then Plex is transcodeing the file and i got video.

i wasn't able to force transcoding AC3 as well.

• kurokuro Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Same here, everything was working fine and now there's a ton of files I can't play anymore. I reinstalled plexmediaserver and plex but it didn't work.

• cardrigarcardrigar Members Posts: 3

Actually as stated by most users with the same problem, only files with AC3 doesn't work. There's no response from either Philips nor Plex staff about the issue...some ppl had the problem for about six months already...

• drmontydrmonty Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass

Hi,

I'm having the same issue, for the time beeing (until this issue get's fixed), I've slightly modified the Android.xml-Profile in Plex Media Server this way:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Client name="Android">
      <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
      <TranscodeTargets>
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" context="streaming" />
        <VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" context="static" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" id="StereoMusicTranscodeProfile" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
      </TranscodeTargets>
      <DirectPlayProfiles>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
        <MusicProfile container="flac" codec="flac" />
        <MusicProfile container="ogg" codec="vorbis" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg,gif,bmp,png" />
      </DirectPlayProfiles>
      <ContainerProfiles>
        <VideoContainer name="mp4">
          <Limitations>
            <Match name="part.optimizedForStreaming" value="1" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoContainer>
      </ContainerProfiles>
      <CodecProfiles>
        <VideoCodec name="*">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
            <NotMatch name="video.anamorphic" value="1" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoCodec name="h264">
          <Limitations>
            <Match name="video.profile" list="baseline|main|high" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoAudioCodec name="aac">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoAudioCodec>
        <VideoAudioCodec name="ac3">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="audio.bitrate" value="1" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoAudioCodec>
      </CodecProfiles>
    </Client>

And disabled Direct Play in Plex for Android. These modifications lead to forced transcode of an AC3-Audio (only). The video itself get's passed through directly - and yes, videos with i.e. AAC-Audio get's still direct played :).

• jorgen.bergstromjorgen.bergstrom Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass
    edited August 11

I am tired of the lack of response from plex. Nothing happens. Plex seems to have full focus on live tv and things that for me is completely useless.
    I went back to Emby. I installed the emby for android tv client. Playback is smooth. No frame skipping or stutter. Also the response in the emby forums is so much better. Agile project model with frequent releases. Same situation with gpu transcoding. Already works in emby while the plex forum thread is a jungle.

• ipokampoipokampo Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

@drmonty said:
    Hi,

I'm having the same issue, for the time beeing (until this issue get's fixed), I've slightly modified the Android.xml-Profile in Plex Media Server this way:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Client name="Android">
      <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
      <TranscodeTargets>
        <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" context="streaming" />
        <VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" context="static" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" id="StereoMusicTranscodeProfile" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
      </TranscodeTargets>
      <DirectPlayProfiles>
        <VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" />
        <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
        <MusicProfile container="flac" codec="flac" />
        <MusicProfile container="ogg" codec="vorbis" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg,gif,bmp,png" />
      </DirectPlayProfiles>
      <ContainerProfiles>
        <VideoContainer name="mp4">
          <Limitations>
            <Match name="part.optimizedForStreaming" value="1" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoContainer>
      </ContainerProfiles>
      <CodecProfiles>
        <VideoCodec name="*">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
            <NotMatch name="video.anamorphic" value="1" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoCodec name="h264">
          <Limitations>
            <Match name="video.profile" list="baseline|main|high" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoAudioCodec name="aac">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoAudioCodec>
        <VideoAudioCodec name="ac3">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="audio.bitrate" value="1" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoAudioCodec>
      </CodecProfiles>
    </Client>

And disabled Direct Play in Plex for Android. These modifications lead to forced transcode of an AC3-Audio (only). The video itself get's passed through directly - and yes, videos with i.e. AAC-Audio get's still direct played :).

This worked fine until late June, after 6.1.1 upgrade on client these workaround is not working anymore, now all my videos (ac3 5.1 mkv) do not play video anymore only audio, as before this workaround. Please any help is appreciated

• jorgen.bergstromjorgen.bergstrom Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass
    edited August 13

After the latest beta update, the workaround with the modified android.xml works for me again, if I lower the maximum h264 level to, in my case 2.0. I haven't tested the different values in more detail. Without modified android.xml or recommended maximum h264 level (5.1), I get the same black screen problem as before.

• stefanelul2000stefanelul2000 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I'm having the same problem. On some movies the sound works in dd 5.1 but no video this is at the original form. If I choose to lower it down sometimes to 720p because the file doesn't have enough bitrate, sound and video works but because both are now being processed, the sound is no longer in dolby digital, on some movies I can work around this because I can use PCM sound on my audio setup but on some movies it goes in stereo and I can't do anything. I hope that this, somehow, gets solved because it only happens on the Philips Android TV, if I play the same files that manifest a problem on my PS4 they play just fine. Video transcoding and audio direct play. But the app is so ugly on the PS4 compared to the one on the TV. Hope that someone from Plex will respond one day.