If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Issues with AC3 5.1 and Roku Premiere+

ahigueroahiguero Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 30 in Roku

i do not know when this started but i know i used to be able to play AC3 5.1 audio with my roku premire+. my setup is as follows: Plex server 1.3.3.3148 running on qnap / roku premiere+ running 7.5.1 build 4100-29 connected to vizio P55-c1 tv sound goes to the receiver via optical.

if i cast to it, using the tv built in app, i get sound jsut fine. but the plex app on the roku does not give me any sound

QNAP TS-453A Firmware QTS 4.3.3 QNAP TS-219PII Firmware QTS 4.3.3 Apple iMac 10.12.3
Apple iPad (2017 Apple iPhone 6 Plus Apple TV 4th Gen Apple TV 3rd Gen Roku Premiere+ NVidia Shield 16Gb (2017) Unifi Gateway & Access Point PS4 Pro

Best Answers

Answers

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,841Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

It's possible the Roku audio needs to be set manually. Roku will automatically determine what formats can play, and this may not work correctly if you use an optical cable. Go to the Roku audio settings and make sure the mode is set to surround sound, and the HDMI SPDIF setting has Dolby D selected (of the list of formats you know are supported).

• ahigueroahiguero Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

mode is set to surround sound on the roku. there is no HDMI SPDIF option just HDMI and it is also set to auto i will test this when i get home

QNAP TS-453A Firmware QTS 4.3.3 QNAP TS-219PII Firmware QTS 4.3.3 Apple iMac 10.12.3
    Apple iPad (2017 Apple iPhone 6 Plus Apple TV 4th Gen Apple TV 3rd Gen Roku Premiere+ NVidia Shield 16Gb (2017) Unifi Gateway & Access Point PS4 Pro

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,841Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@ahiguero said:
    mode is set to surround sound on the roku. there is no HDMI SPDIF option just HDMI and it is also set to auto i will test this when i get home

I read that wrong. I thought you said you had the Roku connected via optical, but you have the Roku connected via HDMI to the tv, and the tv connected to the amp via optical. It's still worth checking the HDMI setting to make sure DD is in the list. If it's in the list, then the Roku is passing DD to the TV, but the TV is not passing it to the amp. It's very possible this is a limitation of the TV. Accepting DD via HDMI and passing it through is not entirely the same as the TV passing DD through optical within on of the built in apps.

i though that too tha ti could be a limitation but the optical out is set to passthrough. and that was working before. Also the vizio TV has a built in chromemcast function and casting to it (bypassing the roku) using plex on my android tablet works and the audio tracks sound fine...

i dont think it is the TV

Leaving everything on the ROKU in auto and connected as explained in the first post and here are the results:

• Netflix on the Roku: 5.1 audio output works both through the amp (to all the speakers) and through the tv speakers (stereo of course)
    • Amazon Video on the Roku: 5.1 audio output works both through the amp (to all the speakers) and through the tv speakers (stereo of course)
    • Plex on the Roku: no audio output, only way is to switch Roku to stereo.
    • Plex on the Apple TV4: 5.1 audio output works both through the amp (to all the speakers) and through the tv speakers (stereo of course)
    • Casting through the TV: 5.1 audio output works both through the amp (to all the speakers) and through the tv speakers (stereo of course)

As I said before, this was working before but now it was not working. The issue here seems to be plex on the roku itself.

@ljunkie said:

Also the vizio TV has a built in chromemcast function and casting to it (bypassing the roku) using plex on my android tablet works and the audio tracks sound fine...

Right, and that isn't a perfect test to verify it's working. It's very possible the TV can output DD from built-in devices/apps, but not from a HDMI source. The best test would be to plug something else into the TV via HDMI that sends 5.1 DD to verify the TV can receive 5.1 DD from a HDMI source and pass it through optical out.

edit: another test would be to bypass the optical cable and use the TV speakers to verify you are getting sound. Of course this is not optimal and you'd only get 2ch audio out (if the TV does support downmixing), but at least you know the Roku is sending the audio signal.

based on my tests this is not the case

edited January 30

@ahiguero is this affecting all DD content? I have been unable to replicate this issue and we haven't had any other reports. Are you able to supply a sample or even the full source of one of the affected videos? Please PM me a link if you can so we can try to replicate it internally.

i willupload the file to drop box and share the link with you

• chrisund123chrisund123 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I'm having pretty much the same problem. It started occurring after my Roku premiere+ updated to 7.5.1 build 4111-29 a couple of days ago.

Dolby/AC3 audio no longer plays in Plex, but Amazon video is fine.

• patrbngpatrbng Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here.

• michael_bonnermichael_bonner Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also having this same issue. Seems to have coincided with 7.5.1 update also.

• jhalversjhalvers Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ljunkie It appears to be an issue with the latest Roku update and how Plex is passing audio. I was using it Saturday morning just fine. My Roku updated to firmware v7.5.1 at 12:53pm and immediately after that I lost all ability to play anything but PCM 2-Channel stereo (set through the Roku settings) through the Plex app. If I set it to DD or DD+/DTS (which was working perfectly before), there is no audio sent from the Roku when using Plex, while Amazon and Netflix work fine. This was confirmed by testing with my TV speakers and my Logitech Z-5500 receiver separately. Set it back to 2-channel stereo and the TV speakers and the Logitech work. I think Plex needs an update to work properly with the new Roku firmware, or there is a flaw in Roku v7.5.1, but only with Plex.

Thanks for the update all, and I'm sorry for the troubles. We will reach out to Roku. It looks like this is isolated to their Premiere+ model using the recent firmware update.

To confirm, does anyone have DTS content? Is that affected as well? I'm trying to determine if this is a global surround sound issue or specifically a DD issue.

• HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 356Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ljunkie said:
    To confirm, does anyone have DTS content? Is that affected as well? I'm trying to determine if this is a global surround sound issue or specifically a DD issue.

Hello @ljunkie

Roku Ultra 4640X

-DTS plain 5.1 works fine in terms of decoding. DTS is showing fine and sound fine in the AVS, but some delay still in the audio and can be "fixed" with "two up" and "1 down" (needs do it 3 times).

-AC3 plain 5.1 is converted to AAC

-Any HD audio (dts or dolby) is converted to AAC

Regards

@HRSCR this sounds like a different issue. Could you post a new thread with this info and your Roku logs. It sounds like your Roku Ultras is converting AC3, which is not a known issue here.

For the logs, simply enable remote logging, close and reopen the channel and playback a file that has AC3 audio.

• HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 356Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok, let me get the logs

• jhalversjhalvers Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ljunkie I am using the Premier+, so that is in line with your 12:35pm post. I am not getting audio when playing any video with DD or better (DD+, DTS), unless I set the Roku to Stereo (2-channel) audio, in which case any video will play with audio.

to me the fix was going back to an earlier verison of the firmware as suggested in the roku forums