Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Media Unavailable - Sync Storage Location Changed from External to Internal!

Jon_CJon_C Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 27 in Android (mobile)

Hi all,

I have 'around' 20 movies synced to my phones External Storage (always has been synced to this location)... however recently I got a Plex notification about remaining space on my Andorid phone saying only 5GB free but it was referring to my internal storage...

Checked Plex and found I could no longer play any movies... "Media Unavailable - The file associated with this item is not accessible by the server. Please verify that the file exists and the necessary drive is accessible"

When checking Sync settings, all movies are still listed including cover art under the "Synced Items" however the storage location is set to "Internal Storage" and it should be "External Storage".

Trying to change it back to External Storage but am told "Change sync Location - Changing the sync location will result in any currently synced items being deleted. Are you sure you want to continue?"

If I check the External storage location I can confirm the expected large storage use at the following path:

• Storage/0000-0000/Android//Data/com/plexapp.android/files/media_parts/...etc

I've tried rebooting the phone but did not help... I also updated to the latest build of Plex app (5.4.1.40), same issues...

I'm not too sure which update or action caused this issue as I have not played the video's for a month or so I believe but keen to know how to fix it without having to re-sync?

Answers

• Jon_CJon_C Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone know how to manually correct or update the pointer back to the SD card as the movies are still there and I don't have decent access to my plex server at the moment to reencode and transfer but would like to have access to the movies later tonight if possible?

• MeatChunksMeatChunks Posts: 150Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is happening to multiple users and has been reported a few times. I believe the team is tracking it.

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1356114

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1342910

• Jon_CJon_C Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the update, I tried to use one of the work arounds to try and gain access back to your data again but it unfortunately killed all my Plex sync data ;-(

Hope they managed to get this sorted and rather big bummer as I don't have access to the content at the moment but will need to re-sync and re-encode when I back back home ..

• MeatChunksMeatChunks Posts: 150Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can any plex employee chime in on this? Just lost my 30GB of synced content again...on the first day of my business trip.

• we@selwe@sel Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Still not fixed in the newest version.

• MovieGhoulMovieGhoul Posts: 75Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Experiencing the same issue on a Kindle Fire several times including just now. It keeps switching to Internal Storage, even though all the synced data was on an External SD.

• fromthewoodsfromthewoods Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here with Amazon Fire. I've never had the issue with my Moto X phone or Samsung Phone. It seems to be device specific.

• JamesValeroJamesValero Posts: 4Members Plex Pass

Same here on fire HD - switched from external to internal. This is the only reason I even have Plex pass. It's happening so often, I'm getting worried about syncing anything new.

• jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I use this all the time and it is completely unreliable now. Always been a big fan of plex but to have such a basic but critical defect hang around this long is really poor.

• husker37husker37 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here. Totally unusable.

• allthestairsallthestairs Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 13

I had this issue but when I selected storage back to external the items were still available

• screscentiscrescenti Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My Kindle Fire HD8 did it AGAIN yesterday. Wiped out all my TV shows I was planning on watching on the way home on my 4 hour flight. I was basically forced to buy the $8 video package on the plane because my device was basically a brick.

A Plex Employee chiming in would be great right about now... maybe a fix or ETA on a proper patch to this issue?

• dgmelvindgmelvin Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 22

I posted 25gb of music to my new samsung galaxy s8 phone and it seemed to be ok. But later in the day all the content seems to be missing. The music is still there because my phone still sees the data being used. But, when I select something to play it tells me there is nothing in the folder. WTF?

By the way, I was using internal storage. I do not have an SD card installed on the phone.

• stevenmhstevenmh Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just bought a Samsung Tab A 7.0 with a 200 GB SD card for our son to have movies/shows on the go. Having the same issue. I can select the external card and sync the library to it. However, the "sync to sd card" selection does not survive a device reboot, it ends of reverting to internal storage. I followed the advice of moving the Plex app to the SD card, and that seems to be working out.

As a point of comparison, Amazon Prime Video and Vudu are both working on the same device, with the app installed on internal storage and content on the external SD card.

• Chopper5Chopper5 Posts: 1Members

Im getting the same message on my Nvidia Shield.. it worked fine for weeks, then without making any changes to anything (accept adding to my library and updating library) every video gets the message, "The file associated with this item is not accessible by the server...). BUT WHY? path is the same, connection is fine, all is up to date and been rebooted..

Plex definitely wont get my subscription money at this point...

• ependergrassependergrass Posts: 19Members ✭✭

Same issue.. makes plex sync worthless.

Still no updates from anyone :(

• jamesthemoviejamesthemovie Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have had this problem for a long time on all of my Amazon fire tablets. Very frustrating, and really the only reason I pay for Plex Pass. If this doesn't get fixed I'll have to consider renewing it. Can someone PLEASE get this fixed. Thanks!

• smithyessmithyes Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm getting this on my Kindle fire tablets, driving me nuts! Every time the device is restarted, Plex decides to change the sync location to internal storage. I've found that switching it back to external, then clicking 'back' a couple of times can sometimes salvage the files. Seems like it should be a fairly simple fix!

No sign of a fix in the new release either - unless it's hidden: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1479755/#Comment_1479755

Anyone with plex pass wanna give that 6.2.1 a try when they can and see if there is any improvement? What other support channels do we have?? This is ridiculous.