Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Shield Pro 2017 - Plex server keeps disconnecting network drive!!!

caspersecasperse Posts: 106Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 29 in NVIDIA SHIELD

Hi All

I have waited for the new Shield Pro since sept! as a replacement for my NAS Plex server

But and now I finally got one and it have one major problem that result in me ending up returning it.

I have managed to update it, and also needed to do a reset BUT now I have it running but it keeps dropping my mounted connection!!!
it's not a network issue, I have cabled connection and the internet and access to my NAS is working 100% (Raspberry Plex works 100%)
Kodi installed on the box also works DS Video also works.....BUT NOT PLEX

Software version:
Nividia Sheild android TV 2017 Model P2571 Version 7.0
Android TV SW version 5.0 (24.28.401.110)
Coresystem 3.10.96+ Build 22 Jan
Plex server: 5.4.1.40

Logfile gives me this....(ITS working for 30 min and then it drops out, I either have to reboot it our manually mount the NAS again)
All files on the Shield server goes Offline so it's making it unuseable for everyone.

01-27 21:49:23.261 i: [conn] Device SHIELD response time is Infinity ms
01-27 21:49:23.262 i: [conn] Connection FAILURE SHIELD ~ Connection: http://192.168.0.6:32400 token used: false types: [discovered] state: Unauthorized
01-27 21:49:23.278 i: [conn] Connectivity test to SHIELD completed in 1,1 SECONDS -> FAILED
01-27 21:49:24.316 i: [conn] Updating reachability for SHIELD with 2 connections.
01-27 21:49:24.318 i: [conn] Testing connection for SHIELD: https://192-168-0-6.9103d849ed43078b.plex.direct:32400 (Active Pool: 0)
01-27 21:49:24.318 i: [conn] Testing connection for SHIELD: http://192.168.0.6:32400 (Active Pool: 1)
01-27 21:49:24.319 i: Fetching [method:GET] https://192.168.0.6:32400/

Any input to what I can do? (Already did a reset, and re-install) I have static IP but that shouldn't change anything.

Best regards
Casperse - New Shield owner (at least for the next 14 days)

Best Answer

• caspersecasperse Posts: 106Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2 Accepted Answer

UPDATE: Changing language to English US and disabling HDMI-CEC for both ON & OFF (Also set my screen to 24Hz) also disabling power standby have sofar made the connection stable?
    I don't know which one of these setting was causing the problem...but so far its working ok for 3 days now

Answers

• mavrrickmavrrick Posts: 795Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are both the shield and the NAS on ethernet. What is the layout of the network between the shield and the NAS Appliance. Are they both attached to the same physical switch/router or is there any other network gear in the middle.

edited January 29

The network is not the problem, Kodi, SPMC on the same box connected to my NAS works fine (same Lan, highend network with enterprise switches) I am a network tech guy :-)

No what I can see is that the plex server is causing the problem, and if I stop the Plex server and only use the Plex player then it seems to work fine and the mounted drive doesn't disappear - my problem is that I bought the box to offload my NAS which is also running a Plex server.
    (And yes I have done the setup of two servers in the same Lan as Plex describes.)

Update: Now the Android box comes up with a prompt "Stop Plex or wait" - kill application stopped working.
    I think I need a Plex supporter to look through the logs?

Update2: Now it reboots android if the Plex server gets unresponsive?

One more thing when I go to calculate disk space it just keep saying calculating? (I have the 500G version, so I would assume that disk space for Plex would not be a issue?

edited January 30

Hey. I don't know your level of expertise. I have seen many occasions were someone was sure their network wasn't part of the issue only to be proven wrong. Thank you for clarifing.

I had some strangeness recently when I tried to change from the wireless network I initially setup with to a wired connection. By any chance did you setup on wired then change part of the way through. In the end I had to disconnect from my server . Go back to wireless and ensure that connection was dead then reconnect the ethernet and sign in to my server again. Been stable since. Just a thought.

May want to clear data on the Plex app and server if it continues as well.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Dropping mounted network shares is nothing new. This has been a problem ever since SMB was introduced to the Shield TV. I suggest using the feedback option in the Shield TV to report the problem, and to also use this link to submit feedback to NVIDIA:

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=be9a69099880aa79ccda4c61acc3fe29

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• ADvorskyADvorsky Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah about the feedback...
    Don't expect to get any answers or any reaction...
    reported already a lot of things, absolutely NO REACTION so far...

That may be true. I was posting based on my observations i have experienced thus far with a 2017 shield and shield Pro. I haven't had any issues except for when i switched from a wireless connection to a wired connection, hence my comment above. The Shield TV i had worked fine for a week with no drop outs on wireless, the Shield pro worked fine I recieved a few days ago until plugged in a wired connection. You should be careful to push to comments about old versions of the software when this is new hardware and new a release of software. It very well may not be fixed but we should at least validate it isn't.

edited February 2 Accepted Answer

UPDATE: Changing language to English US and disabling HDMI-CEC for both ON & OFF (Also set my screen to 24Hz) also disabling power standby have sofar made the connection stable?
    I don't know which one of these setting was causing the problem...but so far its working ok for 3 days now

• MelMicNLMelMicNL Posts: 137Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 3

I have the same issue.

New Shield Pro 2017, connected to my Synology NAS. This works fine but after a few hours, Plex will state all content 'unavailable'. Got evrything connected via wired network. Have CEC disabled.

Maybe this is an issue with power standby mode on the shield?

/edit:
    I confirmed that the SMB shares are disconnected almost immediately after the Shield goes into sleep mode, exactly like this existing thread:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/224023/server-unavailable-when-shield-sleeps

• workratworkrat Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok so I just got an NVidia shield 2017 (16gig) and I was having the same issues you all mention....
    for 2 days straight I was really getting frustrated I would leave my house in the AM and later when I tried to access my media I would find that my hard drive was not online because the NVidia went to sleep which in turn caused the drive to spin down as well.

But why??

ok here's what you do as mentioned by others make sure CEC TV on and CEC TV off (make sure both off) , then under (Power Control) make sure that device to sleep is set to NEVER.

Im sure at this point your thinking same crap... ive tried that it doesn't work. ((( Here is the piece that's missing))))

(((PULL THE HDMI CABLE OFF THE BOX)))) if you have the settings above and pull the HDMI cable off the box it will not go to sleep or the standby mode... I have been running like this for 6 days straight now.. when I get home and I am using the Shield with my tv I plug in the HDMI.. then when I leave and I know im going to be accessing from the apps or devices I unplug the cable...

Hope this helps.. its not the fix id like ......but it works...

try it .. and let me know your experience... good luck

-Workrat

• frank1266frank1266 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@mavrrick said:
    Hey. I don't know your level of expertise. I have seen many occasions were someone was sure their network wasn't part of the issue only to be proven wrong. Thank you for clarifing.

I had some strangeness recently when I tried to change from the wireless network I initially setup with to a wired connection. By any chance did you setup on wired then change part of the way through. In the end I had to disconnect from my server . Go back to wireless and ensure that connection was dead then reconnect the ethernet and sign in to my server again. Been stable since. Just a thought.

May want to clear data on the Plex app and server if it continues as well.

Same here. Wireles works, wired not.

There seem to be a beta fix that you can request from support that finally would fix this problem.
    I haven't received it yet....

• ShagoYShagoY Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@casperse : You got the fix?

• abd1abd1 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a similar problem. My problem occurs when trying to transfer files from my laptop to the shield pro. They're on the same network but then the network says the shield isn't available and can't transfer the file. It happens via wifi or ethernet connection.

Yes I got the fix, but it didnt fix the problem, its worse now it reboots and drops the SMB connection.
    Some reported that if you ever used the wireless mount that would cause problems so I did a reset but it still dosen't work!
    I thought if I waited for the Pro version I would get a working product using this as a Plex server, but it just dosent work!

• MelMicNLMelMicNL Posts: 137Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@casperse said:
    Yes I got the fix, but it didnt fix the problem, its worse now it reboots and drops the SMB connection.
    Some reported that if you ever used the wireless mount that would cause problems so I did a reset but it still dosen't work!
    I thought if I waited for the Pro version I would get a working product using this as a Plex server, but it just dosent work!

Samde problem here: running their test version and every reboot will delete the smb share settings. Annoying...

The previous firmware for me was almost the same but the 'forget wifi network' workaround did solve my problems before, seems they are having a very very very difficult time getting smb to work properly. :(