If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Backing Up Plex Media Server Data on nvidia shield

demdreamdemdream Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Hello,
Is it possible to do a backup of our plex media server data on our nvidia shield ?
As we don't access to the internal storage of the shield i guess is not possible...

What happens in case of crash of the shield ? we loose all our data ??

Best Answer

Answers

• demdreamdemdream Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@kegobeer-plex said:
    You can back up the database (there's a link in the server settings page) but you can't restore it unless your root your Shield.

yes I saw the option to back up the database, but as it's explain on the plex support :
    "Warning!: This is only a backup of your core database; it is not a backup of all of your metadata content. This should not be considered a replacement for real backups of your Plex Media Server data."

So to do a complete backup , we need to access to the pms folder....
    It will be great if plex develop an export / import database / metatada as due to android restriction i think will never access to internal storage.

as you said, the only solution for the moment is root the shield...

• gdkinsmangdkinsman Posts: 69Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It currently appears that since there is no realistic way to backup and restore on the shield, it's best to minimize any customizations (art work metadata for music, etc.) and as a worse case scenario, you just start over. Is there something on the horizon to make the backup/restore capability an actuality? ...and if I decide to get a WD PR4100 and migrate my PMS to it, it's easier to just start over anyway, correct?

Plex Media Server on Nvidia Shield TV at principle location
    Nvidia Shield TV (2017) on satelite locations
    Principle Shield has SSD 250GB and 4 TB Hard Drive on USBs
    Harmony Elite w/ Hub
    SD Prime and SD HDHomeRun and their DVR

• thruster999thruster999 Posts: 66Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I asked this question a few weeks ago. A Plex employee answered stating they are working on it.

• BenjibibizaBenjibibiza Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@thruster999 said:
    I asked this question a few weeks ago. A Plex employee answered stating they are working on it.

Looking forward to this! So scared my external hard drive may die not sure how is best to back it up currently?

The best method would be to have a Nvidia Shield TV backup app that copies one USB drive to another although I have yet to find one or know if that is even possible.

Tried a cloud based system and it said 19 days to back it up due to size and speed, trying to work out an automatic method over my network to another USB drive either into my Pi or MBP but unable to find one yet.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Strategizer8520Strategizer8520 Posts: 21Members ✭✭

This is such a basic feature, Also the most useful feature too, But not available on shield. Moving the large data folder to adopted storage would be nice too... Adoptive storage is a feature that android already supports & will only allow fast 3.0 devices to be used, So why not?

• DevolomanDevoloman Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same Issue here. Is there any news in this regard?

• number8.1number8.1 Posts: 90Members ✭✭

Since Plex dev is not willing to implement such a basic and mandatory function I rooted my shield and I'm now able to do it.