Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

OK to upgrade roku 3 to roku premiere+ for mp4 aac 5.1

NorthvaleNorthvale Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, if I'm a happy camper with roku 3, is there anything to watch out if upgrading to roku premiere+?

I just want to sanity check that if I have video files encoded as .mp4 and aac 5.1 audio (created by plex 'optimize for TV' setting from .mk4 dts-ma audio files) and that those files play fine on my roku 3 and are received today on my 2015 Denon avr-x2200w as Dolby Digital, then I will get the same behavior with the premier+?

In these statements here, what I am experience is the latter bolder part correct?
https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-to-use-roku-media-player-to-play-your-videos-music-and-photos
Stereo and 5.1 AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
Roku devices do not support stereo AAC pass-through. Instead, Stereo AAC is transcoded to PCM stereo.
Roku devices do not support 5.1 AAC pass-through. Roku TVs and some select Roku players decode 5.1 AAC to PCM stereo. For Roku devices that support Dolby Digital Decode, the audio will be down-mixed into stereo for headphone, internal speaker, and HDMI/ S/PDIF (optical) output. **However, if the Roku player is connected via HDMI or S/PDIF (optical) to an A/V Receiver that supports Dolby Digital, the audio will be transcoded to Dolby Digital (AC3).

Also, just to validate I don't need the roku ultra with dolby decode as my AVR already is already happy with 4k, DTS, DD+ etc

Cheers

Best Answer

Answers

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,021Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30

@chopper344 said:
    Hi, if I'm a happy camper with roku 3, is there anything to watch out if upgrading to roku premiere+?

If you take a spin down through this forum and Roku Forums then make note when there isn't 10 open and active trouble posts - that would be a better time. If you leap into new Rokus you join the beta testers. If you jumped into a Roku 4 you either lit the curtains on fire or it's in a drawer/unplugged/safe from igniting the furnishings.

You have THE Bulletproof Roku. The Roku 3. If Roku wants their new line to share that same distinction - they have a long, hard road ahead of them.

If you were going to throw that C-Note (+) out the tinted window of the limousine on the way to Harris Teeters and have lots of spare drawer space, then go ahead. :)

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• NorthvaleNorthvale Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the heads up on the new roku software instability in general.

I thought I may have a very basic / not pushing the envelope surround sound use case, someone could say 'yup, works for me'...

• boblinthewildboblinthewild Posts: 125Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Couldn't agree more with @JuiceWSA. Had a Premier+ for a few days before I gave up on the audio sync issues and took it back. I had hoped the Roku 4 audio sync problems were fixed in the new line, but not so. I have two Roku 3s that are flawless, and my brother has two that are equally trouble-free. If I feel the need for 4k support, I will look at the NVIDIA Shield instead.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,021Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31

@boblinthewild said:
    If I feel the need for 4k support, I will look at the NVIDIA Shield instead.

There's another questionable purchase option that doesn't provide much 'warm and fuzzy' when reading down through it's forums here and abroad. It's loaded with bugs, but has potential, if Plex can make Plex work with Nvidia and/or Nvidia can make Nvidia work with Plex.

No one would like multiple, stable, bulletproof devices to work with Plex more than I would and hope all these players can get their act together, but right now their act is not together. I would also like to use my AFTV more often, but using it with Plex is out of the question. Plex is unable to create an app that even remotely approaches what one would consider stable and that's been going on now for what is soon going to be 'many years'. They couldn't fix the last Plex app for AFTV and they have yet to create a new Plex app for AFTV that works.

Unfortunate, but Wait and Watch is probably sound advice.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,333Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The bottom line is:

Roku Premier or Roku Ultra = Flawed device with multiple problems that cannot be fixed by Plex and that Roku seems unable to fix or uninterested in fixing. They do not even correctly handle anamorphic content.

Shield TV = Great device with serious problems in the Plex interface. The developer on Plex seems unable to make the interface pleasant to use. There is also the Plex fro KODI interface that runs on the Shield and it is better than the standard Plex interface but for both interfaces there is no way to simply start playback directly from the poster screen. In fact the standard remote for the Shield does not even have a "Play" button. (There is a "play" implementation that has been, sort of, added where you double tap the volume slider but that only works sporadically and does not start playback from the poster list.) I have found that the Shield is an unpleasant device to use.

In order of preference I order the devices I have as follows:
    1. Roku 3 - Just a solid performer and can do a number of other things.
    2. Raspberry PI running PMP - Solid but only runs Plex.
    3. Fire TV - Using the Plex for KODI interface it is almost pleasant but I generally use the regular Plex player because the Plex for KODI people seem to have forgotten how to implement the "Play" button.
    4. Computer - Using OpenPHT - This actually would be higher but I still have not found a remote that is comfortable to use with it. (I also have the Windows 10 app store version but it is one of the worst apps I have ever used.)
    5. Roku Ultra - If set to always transcode it handles anamorphic videos fine and I do not have the audio sync issues that seem to plague others.
    6. Shield TV - Just too many flaws and too clumsy to be comfortable to use.

To be honest I almost never actually use any device except my Roku 3s for much other than testing. They are that much more pleasant to use. Also my audio needs are limited and I cannot hear any improvement using anything more fancy than Dolby 2.1 and I keep everything set to stereo.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• AndrroidAndrroid Posts: 1,194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@JuiceWSA said:

@boblinthewild said:
    If I feel the need for 4k support, I will look at the NVIDIA Shield instead.

There's another questionable purchase option that doesn't provide much 'warm and fuzzy' when reading down through it's forums here and abroad. It's loaded with bugs, but has potential, if Plex can make Plex work with Nvidia and/or Nvidia can make Nvidia work with Plex.

No one would like multiple, stable, bulletproof devices to work with Plex more than I would and hope all these players can get their act together, but right now their act is not together. I would also like to use my AFTV more often, but using it with Plex is out of the question. Plex is unable to create an app that even remotely approaches what one would consider stable and that's been going on now for what is soon going to be 'many years'. They couldn't fix the last Plex app for AFTV and they have yet to create a new Plex app for AFTV that works.

Unfortunate, but Wait and Watch is probably sound advice.

Its funny that you base this all on zero personal experience, but rather, the vocal minority that visits these forums.

Shield TV is easily the most stable STB client that I have used, and I have actually used them all and am speaking from personal experience.

Shield TV = Great device with serious problems in the Plex interface. The developer on Plex seems unable to make the interface pleasant to use. There is also the Plex fro KODI interface that runs on the Shield and it is better than the standard Plex interface but for both interfaces there is no way to simply start playback directly from the poster screen. In fact the standard remote for the Shield does not even have a "Play" button. (There is a "play" implementation that has been, sort of, added where you double tap the volume slider but that only works sporadically and does not start playback from the poster list.) I have found that the Shield is an unpleasant device to use.

1. Shield TV - Just too many flaws and too clumsy to be comfortable to use.

None of this is objective commentary on the functionality of the device. It is all indicative of design decisions that you personally do not agree with. These are not functional flaws.

I personally have found the Shield to not only be the most pleasant STB to use, but the best when it comes to the UI. It conforms well to Android TV design guidelines and makes it incredibly easy to find content.

@boblinthewild there are plenty of happy Shield TV owners out there. Don't let these two opinions cloud your own judgement (especially that of one, who has never even used the damn thing).

• HRSCRHRSCR Posts: 351Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Elijah_Baley said:
    The bottom line is:

Roku Premier or Roku Ultra = Flawed device with multiple problems that cannot be fixed by Plex and that Roku seems unable to fix or uninterested in fixing. They do not even correctly handle anamorphic content.

....etc

I saw that you only told details about interface and some are already fixed on Shield in the last update. BTW Shield can be server or player, Roku and the other boxes are only players.

Roku Ultra have serious problems with audio sync when the audio is DTS or any taste of HD Audio, more issues with the HDR. This si like you said a firmware problem, or hardware? Who knows, Roku is in silence mode about it.

Since one device is made to play high end streamings like 4K and HDR support, the sound needs to be fixed according the content before it comes out to the marked and sold to the costumers.

With PI Raspberry you can do whatever you want (depends of the hardware, many options are in the market).

Fire TV is just another cheap box like Roku is those days. (Sad)

Cast devices: ligth hardware for light users who don't need a great picture and professional sound.

Plex is having problems handle many platforms, many variables are in the middle for each ecosystem.

You don't mention ATV4, well, is another tv box working at 5.1 only and 1080p but you can find a developer working named Infuse who, at least give you the option to play something without problems, is not to fancy but works.

You mean Plex si unstable? Well, old news, it is, and some version works "fine", and others don´t, and many times is not because the boxes.

At this moment, the BIG firmware issue with the Roku Ultra (top line of Roku) is a disaster for the company and for the costumers. Roku have a lot of fans 'cause older tv boxes like Roku3, but the 3 version is out of date for UHD costumers.

In those days when te technology seems to be better, the competition leave at the consumer in a difficult situation when they put in the market devices not finished or polished to be a great device like Roku 3 in "the days of Roku 3"

I appreciate and respect your post, i just leave my own opinion.
    Thank you very much.

HRS

@chopper344 said:
    OK there is good advice here, and I've been through the AVS forums on Shield and Premiere/Ultra for more info, thanks.

Maybe I'll just move my roku 3 to my home cinema as it works well for my current needs (including WAF), and back fill it with an inexpensive Roku express for my living room TV whilst I wait for HDR apps, dynamic HDR, and external DV streaming and potentially DV discs to settle down more, eg how the oppo bdp-203 develops.

I have chromecast and DV built into my Vizio P-65, which is good for netflix and vudu, but no amazon and plex casting aac 5.1 recently fell back to stereo only which is frustrating (hard to know which software change in the chain broke it - PMS, Vizio firmware, or internal Chromecast firmeware).

Fellow P series owner here. I had about given up on getting Amazon 4K/HDR content but with the latest software release to the shield, its finally here and its magnificent. The P series really does it justice. Plex HDR works as well. Of course these are all limited to HDR10 (though I really can't tell a difference from what I have seen of Netflix HDR on the shield vs casting to the TV).

I had the 2016 samsung 4k blu-ray player for a week or so but the Amazon app on it was terrible. Blu-rays looked awesome though. Keep in mind that with oppo, there won't be any streaming apps. They are committed to hardware only.

I'll probably jump on the 4k blu-ray player thing this year actually, once we see the DV capable blu-ray players out.

oppo is a mint piece of hardware for discs only,the best of the best, you can find Netflix on Panasonic bluray's for example

@HRSCR said:
    oppo is a mint piece of hardware for discs only,the best of the best, you can find Netflix on Panasonic bluray's for example

Yeah I don't fault oppo for not tossing in streaming, especially when you can get streaming apps on like...everything these days. They are focusing on hardware and they're doing a damn good job of it.

And if I remember correctly, they added a HDMI 2.0 input, should you wish to connect a streaming device to the oppo and use it as a sort of media hub (of course, most people will probably just connect their streaming device to their AVR).

@Andrroid said:
    Yeah I don't fault oppo for not tossing in streaming, especially when you can get streaming apps on like...everything these days. They are focusing on hardware and they're doing a damn good job of it.

And if I remember correctly, they added a HDMI 2.0 input, should you wish to connect a streaming device to the oppo and use it as a sort of media hub (of course, most people will probably just connect their streaming device to their AVR).

Oh yeah for sure, it is a high end piece of hardware, my old oppo blu-ray player still with me, it can handle upscaling from 480p to 1080p. Today, I almost never use it.

For streamming, the top is Nvidia Shield

• sremicksremick Posts: 1,149Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@HRSCR said:

Oh yeah for sure, it is a high end piece of hardware, my old oppo blu-ray player still with me, it can handle upscaling from 480p to 1080p. Today, I almost never use it.

Glad to see there are other Oppo fans on here. I still have my original BDP-83... one of the first 50 to ever be shipped (I was an early tester, before it was released). Oppo even fixed an issue later on out of warranty for no charge. I, on the other hand, still use mine a lot as I'd rather pure quality off the disc than re-transcoded off the Plex, also I have not ripped all my discs to the Plex (I have many hundreds of DVDs and blu-rays).

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.7.1.3856 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")