Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Feature suggestion: settings cloud backup and sync

zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Members Posts: 988 ✭✭✭
edited February 2 in OpenPHT

OpenPHT is such a wonderful client, and custom skins are so nice and configurable that it's easy to get carried away and do a lot of tweaks and changes... but if (like me) you run OpenPHT on different devices (like a laptop, an HTPC etc) it would be nice to have a way to sync them without having to manually copy the user data folder. How about a system where a zipped version of the data folder is uploaded on a cloud storage (dropbox? google drive?) and each client can be configured to periodically check that folder and "sync" the current data folder with the online one? Overkill?

Comments

• daniel.culldaniel.cull Members, Plex Pass Posts: 287 Plex Pass

realistically the chances of the openpht devs spending time creating an entire system to do this is basically nill .. you could accomplish this yourself via some scripting if you really wanted to.. i dont see the point, setup one exactly how you want it, copy the relevant parts of guisettings.xml to the others.

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

Check out the Epic Aeon Nox Skin for OpenPHT
    Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Members Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

@daniel.cull said:
    realistically the chances of the openpht devs spending time creating an entire system to do this is basically nill ..

I know :D

you could accomplish this yourself via some scripting if you really wanted to.. i dont see the point, setup one exactly how you want it, copy the relevant parts of guisettings.xml to the others.

The point is when you say "setup one exactly how you want it" :D I keep changing skins and settings... and thankfully enough there are only a few skins for OpenPHT to play with...

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 978 Plex Pass

@zpaolo11x said:

@daniel.cull said:
    realistically the chances of the openpht devs spending time creating an entire system to do this is basically nill ..

I know :D

you could accomplish this yourself via some scripting if you really wanted to.. i dont see the point, setup one exactly how you want it, copy the relevant parts of guisettings.xml to the others.

The point is when you say "setup one exactly how you want it" :D I keep changing skins and settings... and thankfully enough there are only a few skins for OpenPHT to play with...

We get it, people don't like to keep duplicating settings. However, this would require infrastructure and backend support that would be a continuing distraction from the priorities of the project. Not to mention cost $$$ to maintain. Where do you store the settings? Should we rent a server and pay for it out of pocket incessantly? Should we create a server sync software and then maintain it indefinitely? How many OSes should we support it on? This all spirals out into project creep quickly.

I think you should look into creating the server software yourself. Maybe you can provide client code we can incorporate.

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com