If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Alexa, Plex, and Apple TV

tmbaladdintmbaladdin Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Before I get too excited, is the new Alexa skill compatible with Apple TV(which is where I primarily watch from from Plex). Has anyone tested this out? TIA. :-)

Best Answer

Answers

• MtoombMtoomb Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It says to control any stream, right? So I assume that means wherever you're watching.

• adoxadox Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

It seems to use remote access to connect which is a shame as I have never managed to get remote access to work.

• JMGNYCJMGNYC Posts: 108Members ✭✭✭

@adox said:
    It seems to use remote access to connect which is a shame as I have never managed to get remote access to work.

Where did you find this out. I'm very interested to see if it works with Apple TV.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@JMGNYC said:

@adox said:

Where did you find this out.

Check out the FAQ: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115000320808-Getting-Started-with-Alexa-Voice-Control

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• LaCroixHomeLaCroixHome Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tmbaladdin said:
    Before I get too excited, is the new Alexa skill compatible with Apple TV(which is where I primarily watch from from Plex). Has anyone tested this out? TIA. :-)

Yes. That said, it only worked after updating to the last PMS version and when logged in as the main account, not as a managed user.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@rsava said:
    And with the Computer wake word now available I just need a way to get Alexa to start up my holodeck.

Haha. I had to change my wake word back to Alexa after I realized just how often we say the word computer in my house.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• mattnadmattnad Posts: 446Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 3

Well.... it's an interesting start but buggy. A few times Alexa has tried to execute a command (like play a suggested title) and the client app doesn't respond. It also crashed once.

It's also difficult (maybe impossible) to get specific on tv episodes. I'd like it to play the latest episode of a current season, but haven't found a way to make it happen. So it picks a random episode from an earlier season that it thinks is in progress (but shows watched in the plex interface).

Other failed experiments include asking for a movie suggestion and Alexa suggesting a rock album. Even when I agreed with the recommendation the Plex App didn't play it. The Apple TV says "connection was lost" and then gets stuck on "Loading...." with an otherwise black screen. This is a repeatable problem when Alexa recommends a music title. It doesn't work reliably when I directly ask Alexa to play an artist or album title. Sometimes it works, sometimes it stalls, sometimes I get an error code on the Apple TV.

Here's a funny one... I tried the "play the Big Lebowski" example. Alexa responds, "I am the walrus, playing the big lebowski" and the movie started. Right action, strange statement by Alexa.

Mac Mini 2.0ghz & 2.26Ghz clients • Mac Mini 2.3 Quad Core i7 Plex server 12Tb Storage via Synology DS-1815+ over 802.11ac WiFi network • Panasonic 720p 50" Plasma • Toshiba 1080p 40" LCD • 120" Projector Screen with Epson 1080p 6100 projection • 7.1 AV Denon Receiver • Samsung Blu Ray Player • Pioneer BD RW Player • Multiple Rokus • 3 iPads

• johncleggjohnclegg Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree, when its working... it's good. My experience its way better playing TV and Movies than Music. I too have had problems with crashes and connection lost.

I've also stuck problems that my Apple TV is asleep and I have to wake the apple TV up first, which sort of defeats the purpose.

One feature I'd love is a rewind 10s command.

• DracoLlasaDracoLlasa Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

what could i be doing wrong, when i ask Plex to set the default player, even with my Apple TV on and playing something from my library, Alexa just says no player could be found. been trying since first announced. i have rebooted things and logged out and back into the player on the ATV.
    Anyone else run into this?

• mrcarlonmrcarlon Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The sticking point for me was the not being able to use managed users. I have a pin on our main account to keep kids from deleting things and it would be great to be able to pause things, play things, etc from the account they are currently signed into.