Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No Alexa support currently!

keithahkeithah Posts: 1,294Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
edited February 2 in Plex for Kodi

It's listed under 'Planned Features and Known Issues' but I thought I'd point out again we don't have Plex Companion yet, so we can't support Alexa. But both the dev and I have multiple Echo devices, so this is something we are definitely interested in. :)

Comments

• reddwarfcrewreddwarfcrew Posts: 625Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I got very excited when I checked my phone on the way back from work. Shame it's not there yet, but this is still the best app out there even without alexa.

• andyblac1974andyblac1974 Posts: 1,063Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Then i hope you re-visit the option to allow us to change the player nick name, else how can we control more than one Kodi Plex Plugin device.

Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

PlexDVRAPI Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files
  • keithahkeithah Posts: 1,294Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Plex Companion will be in the same discussion as changing the friendly name, even if its thru a 'hidden' setting like advanced.xml or something.

• andyblac1974andyblac1974 Posts: 1,063Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@keithah said:
    Plex Companion will be in the same discussion as changing the friendly name, even if its thru a 'hidden' setting like advanced.xml or something.

thanks, i do think this is a must for ALL clients, now we have Alexa support. could maybe pass this request on to the Plex admins.

Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

• cdsaenzcdsaenz Posts: 2Members Plex Pass

Thanks a lot for the efforts, to be honest Alexa is pushing all this stuff so it's quite good to stay current with it :smile:
    For one, I learned that Plex would be Alexa compatible so I went ahead and install the server in my NAS DIY build and bought a 1 month subscription. Now I just need to glue all together (LibreElec/Kodi won't be recognized as a player by Alexa, neither the Samsung Hub app, so I'm stuck unless I connect a Windows PC to the TV!). It would be really cool to just play my Plex music via Alexa!!

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 399Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 3

@cdsaenz said:
    Thanks a lot for the efforts, to be honest Alexa is pushing all this stuff so it's quite good to stay current with it :smile:
    For one, I learned that Plex would be Alexa compatible so I went ahead and install the server in my NAS DIY build and bought a 1 month subscription. Now I just need to glue all together (LibreElec/Kodi won't be recognized as a player by Alexa, neither the Samsung Hub app, so I'm stuck unless I connect a Windows PC to the TV!). It would be really cool to just play my Plex music via Alexa!!

Well the good news is @keithah mentioned the other day (I think) that Alexa support is actively being worked on right now. One thing you could do for Alexa support is additionally install the PKC plugin.
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/210023/plexkodiconnect-let-kodi-talk-to-your-plex/p1
    I actually switched to PKC for a while purely for Alexa. That said I'm back with Plex for Kodi now as I just find it an altogether better experience, so am happy to wait for Alexa support to arrive here. Alexa however did work pretty well with PKC.

As for the Samsung app... I was a long time user until I foolishly upgraded my TV. I know for a fact that Orca (the developer) really wants to get Alexa support. The issue is though that Alexa is currently not even available in his country so far, so he has nothing to work with. I'm sure it will come one day. :)

HitsVille

edited May 3

he does not need an Echo, tell him about https://echosim.io ;)