If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Alexa Commands Not Working

staltestalte Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I just linked my Fire stick Plex app to my Alexa device. Alexa knows what player to communicate with and says she will play a TV show for me. Once she finishes her response with "playing blah blah", the Plex app has a notification appear on the screen with "There was a problem" that appears for 2 seconds. The command was successful but Plex is not processing this request properly. Am I missing something or is there a compatibility issue?

Thanks,
Brandon

Best Answer

• staltestalte Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

I agree, this issue is now resolved with the latest build from Plex Server version and Fire TV Plex version. I did not have to manually update the Plex app on my Fire TV. Just a simple update was needed, no delete, re-add business.

Answers

• searlecomsearlecom Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me too, exactly the same issue

• wer108wer108 Posts: 1Members

I can't get the echo to switch my default player to my fire tv. It says no player found on network. Plex is open and running on the fire tv. Both the fire tv and the plex server are connected to the same network via ethernet connection....no idea what is going on

I can still use the AFTV to play videos without voice control. Not sure what the issue is.

I had some trouble assigning my player as well. I fixed it by opening up the Plex app on my Firestick, then told Alexa "Alexa, Open Plex". Alexa then provides a few examples. You should then respond with "change my player". She should search your network and say, "only one player was found ("named My AFT") and will now be set as the default. Make sure you've linked your Plex account before trying that.

Once she did that I played around with it by leaving Plex up on the TV and saying things like, "Alexa, Tell Plex to play ". Thats where I'm stuck. She responds that she found the show and will continue where it left off then the Plex app displays the "There was a problem" notification for a second.

• Jpredman27Jpredman27 Posts: 1Members

Exactly the same here too

• biowulfebiowulfe Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem. Initially, Alexa wouldn't give me the option of picking my Fire TV (named "Downstairs FIreTV") as the default player, she only gave me the options of Plex for Chrome and MyATFM. However, when I specifically told Alexa to have Plex set the default player to Downstairs FireTV, that seemed to force the link.

But, when I try to get Alexa to play anything, it just fails saying "Sorry, there was a failure playing that item".

It can browse my library and knows what's on deck and what has already been started, but apparently actually playing an item just fails.

• TheTerrorBeyondTheTerrorBeyond Posts: 158Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can't get this to work either. I checked my Fire TV name and told it to use it as the player and it still only wants to use Microsoft Edge. This was rolled out a bit too soon, I think.

edited February 3

I was finally able to get Plex to set the Fire TV as the default player by renaming the Fire TV from "Tony's 5th Fire TV" to "upstairs," then restarting the Fire TV. Once it restarted, I said "tell Plex to set default player to upstairs." Plex ignored this and told me that I only have one running player, and that it had set the default player to Fire TV.

Once this was done, I was able to tell Plex to play The Shining. This was nice and all, but Plex did not, in point of fact, play The Shining. It popped up a window saying The Shining, a masterpiece of modern horror. No video ever started.

• kenelbowkenelbow Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Glad I'm not the only one. I had this exact same symptom when trying to play a movie on my FireTV. The FireTV was selected as the default player, and accepted my voice command but never actually did anything.

@TheTerrorBeyond said:
    I was finally able to get Plex to set the Fire TV as the default player by renaming the Fire TV from "Tony's 5th Fire TV" to "upstairs," then restarting the Fire TV. Once it restarted, I said "tell Plex to set default player to upstairs." Plex ignored this and told me that I only have one running player, and that it had set the default player to Fire TV.

Once this was done, I was able to tell Plex to play The Shining. This was nice and all, but Plex did not, in point of fact, play The Shining. It popped up a window saying The Shining, a masterpiece of modern horror. No video ever started.

• StarslipStarslip Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Has anyone successfully gotten a video to play on Fire TV via Alexa? I'm running into the same issue as the above two posts, and there's a thread on http://forums.plex.tv/categories/voice-control with the same problem. Is it just working fine for any of you?

• midwaybritmidwaybrit Posts: 108Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having the exact same issue. I wonder if this is a bug ? I have spent hours on it today, but it tells me enjoy whatever I order and then nothing happens....infuriating

@Starslip said:
    Has anyone successfully gotten a video to play on Fire TV via Alexa? I'm running into the same issue as the above two posts, and there's a thread on http://forums.plex.tv/categories/voice-control with the same problem. Is it just working fine for any of you?

PLEX released a new version and it works now. Version 5.4.3 is working properly so far, as I am able to tell it to play movies and they play on the Fire TV now.

• midwaybritmidwaybrit Posts: 108Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 4

To install the new version of Plex on your Fire TV you need to delete the app and reinstall it.

That's right... it doesn't actually update for you. You have to delete the application, reinstall it, and relink your account. I wish it would update properly, but it doesn't.

Accepted Answer

I agree, this issue is now resolved with the latest build from Plex Server version and Fire TV Plex version. I did not have to manually update the Plex app on my Fire TV. Just a simple update was needed, no delete, re-add business.