Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How do you say things?

BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,811Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
edited February 2 in Voice Control (Alexa)

This thread is going to be meant for things you have tried to say to the Alex Plex skill but was not recognized. Meaning things which are not in this list Alexa Plex Commands To be clear this is mostly about syntax. We make no promises about how soon or if something might be added but we will certainly try our best.

Any other feature requests made may be moved outside of this thread. Trying to keep it as clean as possible

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files

Comments

• rsavarsava Posts: 2,739Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just an FYI, the article says this:
    The Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Tap devices work slightly differently because they are always listening
    But this is not completely true. The Tap is not always listening, you have to push a button on the front to activate it's listening then use it.
    So the button push takes the place of saying the wake word.

R Sava

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 849Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

thanks I will update the article.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• mrklawmrklaw Posts: 277Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ask plex to play the next episode of XXX
    Ask plex to play the latest episode of XXX

Both (I think) should play the next unwatched episode of show XXX.

• brian163serverbrian163server Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2

It becomes clearer as you play with commands and get the hang of it but I think the command guide should add an explanation stating that when Alexa responds at the end of a command with, "What would you like to do next?", 'she' is expecting a full new command and not a contextual response to the information provided.

For example, when I said "Alexa. Ask Plex what I can continue watching?", she responded, "Your currently in the middle of {showname1} and {showname2}. What would you like to do next?" and appears to be awaiting a response.

I had tried "{showname1}", "{showname2}" and then "continue {showname1}", "resume {showname1}", and just "resume". Frustratingly, each time she responded with a completely out of context suggestion like "How about something new...".

I finally realized I have to issue a new command, like "Play {showname1}".

Again, painfully clear in hindsight but as a guide for new users on a feature that has just been released, I think it is confusing.

• AmmarsMoviesAmmarsMovies Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How do we ask Alexa to play Cars (the movie) rather than cars the music?

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,811Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@AmmarsMovies said:
    How do we ask Alexa to play Cars (the movie) rather than cars the music?

You should be able to say "Alexa ask Plex to play the movie Cars"

• AnEightiesGuyAnEightiesGuy Posts: 251Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

After pausing playback, would it be possible to support a "Play" request in addition to "Resume"? There's nothing wrong with "Resume" and it works fine, but I've found I say "Computer, ask Plex to play" over "Computer, ask Plex to resume." Not a big deal as I'll get accustomed to saying resume, but thought I'd note it. I can understand this might be complicated as the "Play" command expects you to specify a media item; however, if it knows something is already playing it would be nice if it treated "Play" as "Resume" if no media is specified.

Also, I see that shuffle is an available command for music but I was wondering if it was an option to shuffle a specific TV Show or Playlist.

I attempted to shuffle a show but it simply played the next unwatched episode (and continued playing subsequent episodes in order). (Tried both "Computer, ask Plex to shuffle Seinfeld" and "Computer, ask Plex to shuffle the TV show Seinfeld")

Similarly I attempted to start a playlist and was unsuccessful (both with just starting and with shuffling). I didn't see playlists specifically called out in the support article, so might not be available yet.

Thought I'd check in case I was using incorrect commands.

(let me know if this is outside the intended purpose of the thread and I'll move it elsewhere)

@BigWheel said:
    This thread is going to be meant for things you have tried to say to the Alex Plex skill but was not recognized. Meaning things which are not in this list [Alexa Plex Commands]... To be clear this is mostly about syntax"

So I read this a few times and I'm confused. Is this thread about the syntax of the existing commands or about the syntax of not yet existing commands? ;-)

I was going to post we need an, "Alexa, ask Plex to fling {Player 1} to {Player 2}" but on second read I suspect this and @mrklaw's posts don't belong here?

I suspect you meant, "Meaning [commands] which are on this list but don't work because you would express them a different way."

(My previous post was regarding existing commands although a bit more about interaction than "syntax".)

• AnEightiesGuyAnEightiesGuy Posts: 251Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@brian163server said:

@BigWheel said:
    This thread is going to be meant for things you have tried to say to the Alex Plex skill but was not recognized. Meaning things which are not in this list [Alexa Plex Commands]... To be clear this is mostly about syntax"

So I read this a few times and I'm confused. Is this thread about the syntax of the existing commands or about the syntax of not yet existing commands? ;-)

I think I had the same confusion...but instead wisely asking for clarification I just added another questionably-related comment.

• MaresianMaresian Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@AnEightiesGuy said:
    Also, I see that shuffle is an available command for music but I was wondering if it was an option to shuffle a specific TV Show or Playlist.

Here's another vote for being able to shuffle a random episode. I'd love to be able to tell plex to play a random episode of MASH (or some other show) and have it just start. Asking Alexa this just gave me the first episode of the series.

• mrklawmrklaw Posts: 277Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@brian163server said:

@BigWheel said:

I was going to post we need an, "Alexa, ask Plex to fling {Player 1} to {Player 2}" but on second read I suspect this and @mrklaw's posts don't belong here?

I suspect you meant, "Meaning [commands] which are on this list but don't work because you would express them a different way."

(My previous post was regarding existing commands although a bit more about interaction than "syntax".)

But the OP clearly says 'things that aren't on this list' so that does suggest to me the they want input in the kind of phrasing you use to carry out tasks that aren't covered by the current list?

I suppose my post might be considered a functional addition but I've since learned that the behaviour is similar if you just ask to play a show, so in that case I think mine is valid.. although it would perhaps be executed without the questioning about whether you want to resume where you left off which is what happens now, so might be a functional change after all :p

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,811Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited February 3

Guys either is fine. "mostly" about syntax like the request about "resume vs playing" a half watched /paused item

Skills like asking for it to open the Plex app for you on some device is not a Plex skill it would be a skill for the device itself or a harmomy skill for example. Asking plex to dim your lights is not related to this skill.

in the end just ask. if we need to move it we will and hopefully be able to tell you why. sorry i did not mean to make this confusing

edited February 3

"I was going to post we need an, "Alexa, ask Plex to fling {Player 1} to {Player 2}" "

Why would you not just tell it to play on Player 2? at which point it will start where ever it left on player 1.

( if you are trying to get it to fling to a device ( like chromecast ) which is not Alexa supported device/player it would not work as you would be telling the Google Cast API to do something which it can't)

@BigWheel said:
    Why would you not just tell it to play on Player 2? at which point it will start where ever it left on player 1.

Ah, I see. My thought process was born of a specific scenario. I had asked Alexa to start playback on my iPad. And then on my iPad I decided I wanted to switch to my TV (via PS4). So I pushed the Players button and selected the PS4. But later when I went to pause, Alexa lost track of the switch and would say "ok" but didn't do anything. (I suspect trying to control the iPad.) So I thought, "Oh, I didn't initiate the switch from Alexa, we need a command".

Instead I should have told Alexa to pause on the iPad, change the the selected player to the PS4, and then play the media I had been watching on the PS4. At which point Plex would have known/offered to resume.

Thanks!

• andyblac1974andyblac1974 Posts: 1,053Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@BigWheel said:

so is there a skill to say

"alexa, ask plex to play Lucifer on player2"

so we don't have to change the default player?

Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

PlexDVRAPI Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files
    edited February 3

@andyblac1974 said:

Yes . Look under the "Media Playback" heading in the Commands article linked in first post.

• andyblac1974andyblac1974 Posts: 1,053Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited February 4

@BigWheel said:

@andyblac1974 said:

Yes . Look under the "Media Playback" heading in the Commands article linked in first post.

Play Monsters Inc. on Roku
    does not work for iPad, as Alexa is not seeing my iPad Mini.

edit: it showed up after about 5 mins leaving plex on iPad open.

Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

PlexDVRAPI Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files
  • MichaelDYoungMichaelDYoung Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 8

I am having an issue with spelling differences.

I issued the command: "Alexa, Ask Plex to play Karsynn Season 1 Episode 1"
    I got the response "Sorry I cannot find..."

When I checked the Alexa history I saw the command:
    "Alexa, Ask Plex to play Carson Season 1 Episode 1"

Is there any way to solve spelling differences ?

• ninedollarsninedollars Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Alexa, what's new in tv shows?
    Alexa, What's new in movies? etc... would be awesome to search each library independently!

I heard right now it is supposed to read both libraries at the same time. But when i say what's new, it only tells me what's new in movies and nothing from the tv library.

• ersanersan Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Another vote to add shuffle to tv shows, and playlist support - I posted a thread about it earlier today.