Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Chromecast not supported in Alexa skill yet?

kalikid021kalikid021 Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No available network chromecast was listed in available players. Additionally I launched the Plex android app on my phone (nexus 6P) and attached it to a chromecast on my network. I then had alexa list available players, and only the phone attached to the chromecast was available. Asking her to play to that player merely started the playback on the phone and not the attached chromecast. So it seems chromecast is not yet supported by this skill (confirm?) as well as using a player attached to a chromecase to as as a proxy for the skill also will not work (you would then need to re-attach to the chromecast for playback on it once it started playing on your device) at this time.

Answers

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 846Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does not work on chromecast at this time and has not been stated that it does.

• LuKeNuKuMLuKeNuKuM Posts: 9Members ✭✭

any plans for adding it? this would be great!

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 846Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Nope.... it is a google thing so you probably will have to wait for the POSSIBILITY of google home integration.

• gadgetchannelgadgetchannel Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

A sort of workaround is to have Plex Web open in a Google Chrome tab and have it cast to your Chromecast. If you have that set as your default player it will actually play through the Chromecast. However, this appears to prevent the skill from being able to control playback once it has started - saying "Alexa, ask Plex to pause" will result in a response of "OK" but nothing will happen and playback will still continue.

• davidthejoynerdavidthejoyner Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I tried using my iPhone app to cast it and then used Alexa to play content. It put something up on the screen, but when I requested Alexa change the video, it then caused a second video to play on my phone with no video while the Chromecast one continued.

• LittleDoggieLittleDoggie Posts: 4Members ✭✭

@gadgetchannel said:
    A sort of workaround is to have Plex Web open in a Google Chrome tab and have it cast to your Chromecast. If you have that set as your default player it will actually play through the Chromecast. However, this appears to prevent the skill from being able to control playback once it has started - saying "Alexa, ask Plex to pause" will result in a response of "OK" but nothing will happen and playback will still continue.

Yes, I am having that problem too. Once the music starts playing through a Chromecast, the pause and stop commands no longer work.

• jaredsheathjaredsheath Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't see how Google is the hurdle here. The echo should be talking to the Plex server. If they implemented this so that it is talking to the app, they did it poorly. And even then, the app should still be able to run on a port off the Chromecast that can be contacted without issue. It's just a linux device.