If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Alexa plex

Just installed theplex skill on my Alexa seems to work but can't find my tv. I can use it with plex on my phone etc however when it searches for players it doesn't find my Samsung TV. I've got 2.007 plex installed, i can see and control the tv from my phone so I'm pretty sure it's working in that sense. I believe 2.006 and later supported companion. Has anyone got this working or experienced the same problem?

Comments

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,349Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited February 3

This isn't a Plex made app. Alexa is something new, that wasn't announced when this version was submitted.
    So if it doesn't work, then it's because it's not supported. They aren't even for sale where I live.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• smeg4brainssmeg4brains Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Do you have a guess as to whether or not it might be supported in the future?

I thought I remembered reading way back that Plex was going to be working with you to make it a more official app. I take it that didn't really pan out then (or I'm mis-remembering)?

Either way, thank you for all your hard work. You've done a fantastic job, and given me and my family years of solid entertainment.

-J

• raykreiselraykreisel Posts: 5Members ✭✭

The problem seems to be that the Alexa app does not see the Samsung TV as a possible plex player. I have noticed that my iOS plex app also does not see my Samsung TV as a possible player. In the iOS app when I try to 'fling' a TV show it gives me the list of plex players to choose from but my Samsung TV is not in the list. It looks like the same problem.

• gentoo9ballgentoo9ball Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 Really looking forward to the samsung smart hub companion support!

• Marc_74Marc_74 Posts: 145Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

im not expecting any tv's to work, samsung tv app i dont think can be even updated

this has all been geared towards shield users which i havent seen the need to get one

• raykreiselraykreisel Posts: 5Members ✭✭

A few more details.

Plex server is Windows Version 1.3.4.3285
    Samsung TV UN60F8000 F-series (2013) Model - Plex app 2.007 PMS version 1.3.4.3285-b46e0ea
    iOS Plex app build 9176
    fire tablet Plex app version 5.4.2.104

From my Plex Web player (both Chrome & Firefox) can see both my iOS player, Fire player and my Samsung TV player
    From my iOS app I can only see my Plex Web player and Fire player (no Samsung TV)
    From my Fire tablet player I can only see my Plex Web player and Fire player (no Samsung TV)
    From Alexa app I can see my Plex Web player, Plex Fire tablet player and iOS Plex player (no Samsung TV)

On the Samsung TV I see the connect icon on the bottom of the screen to show it is advertising itself as a player.

• aknet.meaknet.me Posts: 7Members ✭✭

@Orca said:
    This isn't a Plex made app. Alexa is something new, that wasn't announced when this version was submitted.
    So if it doesn't work, then it's because it's not supported. They aren't even for sale where I live.

Hi Orca,

I understand that the smart hub plex app isn't official, and I want to personally thank you for all the time and effort you've put in, its a brilliant app.

I wasn't sure if it would work as it said it required a plex companion player however I thought the smart hub app supported this from 2.006.

The plex skill is only available in the UK and US at the moment how ever once it's world wide I'm happy to contribute towards a echo for you to use / develop with. This is of course If you want to add support.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,349Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

When Alexa will become available in my country i'm sure I'm going to dive in and have a look.

As for the guys having issues with the companion function in the app:

• Companion has been available since version 2.006, if your bottom bar has a connection icon, it's in there.
    • You need a local server that is connected to your account by PIN code, manual setup doesn't work for this.
    • The app also needs to be connected to your account, since the app uses the cloud to send commands.
    • Check the connection icon in the bottom bar, if it's white is ready to connect, if it's gray it's not.
    • Check the logfile to see why it didn't find a server that it can use to relay the commands.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• wmadoss@hotmail.comwmadoss@hotmail.com Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@raykreisel said:
    A few more details.

Plex server is Windows Version 1.3.4.3285
    Samsung TV UN60F8000 F-series (2013) Model - Plex app 2.007 PMS version 1.3.4.3285-b46e0ea
    iOS Plex app build 9176
    fire tablet Plex app version 5.4.2.104

From my Plex Web player (both Chrome & Firefox) can see both my iOS player, Fire player and my Samsung TV player
    From my iOS app I can only see my Plex Web player and Fire player (no Samsung TV)
    From my Fire tablet player I can only see my Plex Web player and Fire player (no Samsung TV)
    From Alexa app I can see my Plex Web player, Plex Fire tablet player and iOS Plex player (no Samsung TV)

On the Samsung TV I see the connect icon on the bottom of the screen to show it is advertising itself as a player.

I can see my samsung KS8005 on my windows phone via plex (not on my iphone though) through the plex app and it will also allow it to connect with a popup on the tv asking me if I want to allow it (did however get an error when trying to play anything).
    So I'll have to wait until either samsung smart hub plex or Plex kodi addon is working since those are the only ones that are of interest for me.
    Great skill nonetheless though and a good first step.
    Atleast I can ask whats on deck and stuff like that even though I cant play them via voice.

@wmadoss@hotmail.com: You are in the wrong forum, your model runs a completely different app as the one that we are talking about in this forum. Your app's forum is here.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• gadgetchannelgadgetchannel Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 3

I've just noticed something and I wonder if this could be a reason for the Smart Hub app not being detected as a Companion capable player.

I went to http://serverip:32400/clients?X-Plex-Token=... and got something like this (I have masked out the IP addresses and machine identifiers):

<MediaContainer size="3"> <Server name="TV UE40H6400" host="*.*.*.*" address="*.*.*.*" port="32400" machineIdentifier="*********" version="2.007" protocol="plex" product="Plex for Samsung" deviceClass="tv" protocolVersion="1" protocolCapabilities="timeline,playback,navigation,mirror,playqueues"/> <Server name="TV UE40H6400" host="*.*.*.*" address="*.*.*.*" port="32400" machineIdentifier="*********" version="2.007" protocol="plex" product="Plex for Samsung" deviceClass="tv" protocolVersion="1" protocolCapabilities="timeline,playback,navigation,mirror,playqueues"/> <Server name="Steven's Moto G(4)" host="*.*.*.*" address="*.*.*.*" port="40958" machineIdentifier="**********-com-plexapp-android" version="5.5.0.77" protocol="plex" product="Plex for Android" deviceClass="mobile" protocolVersion="1" protocolCapabilities="timeline,playback,navigation,mirror,playqueues"/> </MediaContainer>

I only have one Samsung TV on the network, but it is appearing twice in the list. Both have the same machine identifier but the first one has the IP address of the server and the second has the IP address of the television.
    Could Plex be seeing these two devices with the same machine identifier and different IP addresses (particularly with one of the IP addresses being the same as the server) and getting confused?

• boysie123boysie123 Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also have alexa and 2 Samsung TV's with smart hub and Plex app, I can see the icon and can connect to it from a pc running plex.tv in a browser and it functions with out issue, but alexa can not see the TV as a available player :( even though other devices can, not sure if there is a problem with tv app or alexa skill looking for it on the network, all tvs are logged in a paired using pin. happy to look at some logs if it helps here. but it does look like all Samsung owners have been sold a dud :(

I can confirm my Windows 10 phone running plex app can connect to my samsung tv's and my Android work phone running plex can also connect. If I run the "select a Player" option on alex while my browser is open it lists my Edge browser as my only available device on the network and automatically set that as the player :(

edited February 3

That's not how it works. The app needs a suitable server that it can use as a proxy.
    Once it found a candidate that is working as it should, The TV will presents itself as a player to the other Plex devices.
    The icon will turn white and you should be able to select the TV as a player.
    As long as that icon is not turning white, it's a server issue, not a player one,
    and you should check the things I mentioned before.

If you have old records hanging around and think they may cause issues, open the Plex web interface, go to devices, and delete them. You can't break things, the worst thing that can happen is that you need to connect your device again (pincode)

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

some more tests, alexa cant find my Samsung s5 or my windows 10 phone, but does find browser edge on laptop and plex media player. looking like not a Samsung plex app issue :(

in this list it only sees the desktop

• gadgetchannelgadgetchannel Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I realised I was wrong about what I was seeing in the clients list. I had assume that one of the devices was showing the IP address of the server and one had the IP address of the television. However, I hadn't realised that my server had two IP addresses (connected via Ethernet and WiFi). After disconnecting WiFi only one device is listed, but this still has the IP address of the server.

So, the question is probably whether the app should be using the IP address of the television when advertising itself as a player rather than the server IP address.

Guys you can stop testing Alexa with this app.
    It's not working because it needs to support something called "PubSub" which it doesn't do yet.
    I'm not sure all the official apps already do but it will come in time.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• skpnsfskpnsf Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Has anyone informed the app's developer ?
    http://plexforsamsung.pbworks.com/w/page/40757181/Home

• destrozatesdestrozates Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Orca said:
    When Alexa will become available in my country i'm sure I'm going to dive in and have a look.

As for the guys having issues with the companion function in the app:

• Companion has been available since version 2.006, if your bottom bar has a connection icon, it's in there.
    • You need a local server that is connected to your account by PIN code, manual setup doesn't work for this.
    • The app also needs to be connected to your account, since the app uses the cloud to send commands.
    • Check the connection icon in the bottom bar, if it's white is ready to connect, if it's gray it's not.
    • Check the logfile to see why it didn't find a server that it can use to relay the commands.

I checked in my TV and I see the connection icon on the bottom left, but still alexa doesn't find it as a possible player :( Any ideas?