Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Wait, Alexa only works from the main account?

detzdetz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 110 Plex Pass

That makes it completely useless not to mention it took me 40 minutes to figure this out. Great communication.

Answers

• andyblac1974andyblac1974 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,149 Plex Ninja

i hope, Home users are being planned to work, else it is pretty useless for my home

Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

HRTunerProxy Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files / Donate USD / Donate EUR / Donate Sterling
  • Bartlomiej BaraniecBartlomiej Baraniec Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,009 Plex Pass

No support for Plex Home users?

• brian163serverbrian163server Members, Plex Pass Posts: 29 Plex Pass

Yeah, it only works for the primary account the Alexa app is linked to.

My guess is that implementing an "Alexa, switch user" command is problematic because you would have to speak your PIN out loud in response which kind of defeats the whole purpose . ;o)

But it would be helpful if they implemented an option in the account linking skill to at least choose one of the managed accounts as the current default.

As it stands now this is not well integrated with Home/managed users. The only good thing I noticed is that it will not play media for the main account unless the Companion App (aka Player aka Receiver) is also logged into the main account. ('She' states the device appears to be offline when it is logged into a different account.) So it doesn't appear, for example, my kids can login to their managed account and tell Alexa to play content they wouldn't already have access to.

• psybertechpsybertech Members, Plex Pass Posts: 25 Plex Pass

+1
    Please add support for this.
    Currently, with my setup, we do not require pins for each account, so security is no concern. It will be soon, but currently Plex needs something for multiple users ASAP. I have a bunch of friends all using Plex, and I cannot think of a single one that has just one user. Oh, and they all have Alexa/Echo/Dots.

In my setup though, I just really need a way to be logged into any users account and have Alexa use that user's setup (on deck, watched list basically). There is no difference in the content that is available. We are just different adults who watch different things at different times.

Additional Wish list item aside from true support for multiple users:
    I can add a default "home" user and then aPleXa can query the server and not worry about what device(s) are on, find the content, open the app (if it is not on, which is a common thing) and play it to a default user without touching the remote.
    Think, total home control for the basics that anyone can see.

Part of that wish item may solve my problem with the lack of users support currently I think (i.e make a generic user for all devices), but the fact we need to have the app active and the user logged in is just a PITA. I like my setup as is and prefer not to change everything. :)

Anyway.... Plex team, please add true multiple user support ASAP!
    I plan on adding new Dots to my rec room and office because of this Plex feature, BTW. :D
    Amazon OWES you guys! haha

cheers!

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 31,467 Plex Team Member

Thanks for your input

This is already mentioned in the current Known Limitations section of the support page
    Getting Started with Alexa Voice Control

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to

• MickPBMickPB Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Hello - Just paid my annual fee for third or fourth time. I love all the new features but I am really challenged to use Plex for more than one person. Lots of us have families and don't watch TV together. Having Plex keep track of who watched what is a great feature but wouldn't it be even greater if we could set a default user per playback device. If a PIN is required then ask for it. IF not, log straight in.
    Seems it would be easy enough to store it in an XML file. My kids can watch what they want when they want on their TVs. I can do the same. Maybe this isn't what everyone wants but it would sure serve ECHO users well also.
    If there is a way I can add this myself please point me. I know a little Python. Seems like an exit point would work well also.

Thank you

• NashmaniNashmani Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Been a year since it went up on Known Limitations. I would assume a lot of users use Alexa n Plex in the family room and would not be using the default account user that has access to the entire library. Not supporting users renders Alexa integration useless for us. If authentication is the problem (I hope not), supporting users without pin would be a good start. Thanks!

• Fro Man753Fro Man753 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

I agree that support for multiple users would actually make Alexa integration useable for many people. Is there some sort of update on the progress of this? Or does Plex just not care that their Alexa integration is pretty broken?

• -- Admin-- Admin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

This was a major reason I purchased the full version, and it's totally a bust. I have 5 people in my house, and I can't use just one account. Alexa support in Plex is useless to me.

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 31,467 Plex Team Member

@-- Admin said:
    This was a major reason I purchased the full version, and it's totally a bust. I have 5 people in my house, and I can't use just one account. Alexa support in Plex is useless to me.

Whilst Plex Home Managed Users is not supported, you would need to weigh the pros and cons of Plex Home Managed Users vs standard plex.tv accounts and using sharing.

I use shared access and full plex.tv accounts for Alexa at my home and it works.

It all depends on what is more important for you - getting alexa to work with multiple accounts or the benefits of having a Plex Home and managed users.

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to