If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Shuffle TV show episodes

mhigginsmhiggins Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm unable to get Alexa to play a random episode of a TV show. This is how I primarily use plex for background stuff to watch. I notice that music seems to have a shuffle option but I suspect TV shows do not.

Anyone have any success with this or is it not supported yet?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• mhigginsmhiggins Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well then it would be a much appreciated feature to be added to the next version

• mcrommertmcrommert Posts: 449Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 on this

PMS: Windows 10 1703 - ASROCK H77 - 28tb pool Stablebit Drivepool & 10tb Google Drive Stablebit Clouddrive
    Main: Kodi (Current Version) with Plex Addon - Bedroom: Roku 3

Also: Chromecast, iPad Mini +, 2x Android Moto G4, OnePlus Three

7Db19DZ.png mcrommert
  • darealdoomerdarealdoomer Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

High on my list of hoped for updates!

• radiocolinradiocolin Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Adding my voice to this

• noah82noah82 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd love to see this too. It would make the Alexa skill so much more useful for me!

• mubumonkeymubumonkey Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also would absolutely love it if there was a shuffle command for tv shows. I use plex to keep my quadriplegic mother who has had multiple sclerosis for 22yrs entertained. The addition of alexa has made her life so much better and I know she loves being able to watch a show on command but being able to watch a random episode sometimes is nice and I know she would utilize that.

• emh5945emh5945 Posts: 14Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just spent a bunch of time setting up Alexa specifically for this feature. It's such an obvious feature that I didn't even consider that it might not be there.

• NozafcNozafc Posts: 2Members

+1 for this, I created a similar thread a while ago but it didn't get a response. Sometimes you just want to kick back and watch an episode of some comedy show or similar and not have to specify exact season and epsiode

Alexa, Tell Plex to play some random episodes of Seinfeld

• mhigginsmhiggins Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 27

Any news or updates on this?
    Would really be a nice feature

Edit: made a feature request post on the Plex pass forums if anyone that wanted this feature wants to take a look and like the post to get it some attention.

• ersanersan Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 again, posted this practically the day the echo skill was released, and it still holds true today.

Also shuffling/playing playlists would be highly appreciated.

• GordonWorswickGordonWorswick Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kegobeer-plex I'm sorry to say this but in my experience the list on the published website is far from correct, the following commands don't work at all for me:

• Ask Plex to change my player to Living Room TV (I have never had it understand the name of the player and i have always had to set the default player manually)
    • What's on my continue watching list? (only lists episodes you were halfway through not tv seasons, then after it plays the episode it stops and you manually have to get it to play the next episode)
    • Can you suggest something? (all of these type of commands have a a repetitive nature repeating the same tv shows or films in my experience)
    • Play the show Westworld (only plays 1 episodes then stops, pointless, thank god the phone & web apps play the entire season)
    • Play season 2 of 30 Rock (only plays 1 episodes then stops, pointless, thank god the phone & web apps play the entire season)

The lack of progress in development and lack of support there is for this skill makes me want to develop my own, which im close to trying! lol :)

• AddiktAddikt Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 from me. I put on random episodes of specific shows at night and being able to say "shuffle South Park" would be handy. I also bought the Echo assuming this feature already existed.

• AddiktAddikt Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • radiocolinradiocolin Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's been 8 months, any updates on whether we'll see this? Has the Alexa skill updated at all since launch?