If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Alexa not seeing Player

ocarlisleocarlisle Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey folks, I just bought the Echo Dot today for the specific reason to use it with Plex. I was very disappointed when every single smart device in my house connected with 0 issues. Got to Plex and nope. Alexa just keeps telling me that it can only fine 1 player and that its Safari Web. I have made sure that my PMS is updated as far as it will go. I have removed and enabled the skill about 20 times. The only thing I can think is that for so reason Alexa is trying to use one of my managed user accounts. I noticed that it doesn't ask me to select which USER when enabling the skill. At this point Im completely lost as to whats wrong. I have 5 different players in my home and I turned on at the same time and started up TV shows on just to see if that would cause Alexa to see them. Still nothing.

Any help?

Best Answer

«1

Answers

  • ocarlisleocarlisle Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    ahhhhh okay that worked. Just making sure that the Apple TV was set to the primary account to link it. It seems like something of a design flaw to not be able to use a managed user on that player though. I noticed that it will not control that player at all unless you log into the primary admin account. So for instance, even after I got that as my default player, it wont play anything unless I swap over to the base user account. For most this probably wouldn't matter, but I have a room mate and we like to swap accounts to keep up with our own individual viewing history and places in certain movies / tv shows.

  • kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited February 3

    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115000320808-Getting-Started-with-Alexa-Voice-Control

    Right now fast user switching and managed users in Plex Home aren't supported. Not sure if it's in the works or not.

    Where are my log files?

    How do I properly name my media files?

    NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

    Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

  • skpnsfskpnsf Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 3

    Same problem. only "sees" Safari player, not Plex player on Samsung TV. All on the same network, all signed into the same account. Verified Plex on Samsung TV is listed in Devices on PMS.

  • tlockneytlockney Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Likewise having issues with Plex for Alexa not seeing my the player on my LG TV even though I can see it just fine in my Devices view and it's signed in using my primary account (same as my server).

    Not sure what, if any, logs or debug info might be available to help figure this out, but more than happy to provide whatever I can.

  • Bigmonty69Bigmonty69 Posts: 71Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I'm not sure if this will help anyone but Alexa wasn't seeing a couple of my players either. What I had to do to fix it was make sure that the app was completely logged out of and closed on the device and then start the app up again re-sign in.

    This worked for both my PS4 and Fire TV.

  • cmlittlecmlittle Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Bigmonty69 said:
    I'm not sure if this will help anyone but Alexa wasn't seeing a couple of my players either. What I had to do to fix it was make sure that the app was completely logged out of and closed on the device and then start the app up again re-sign in.

    This worked for both my PS4 and Fire TV.

    This worked for me, thanks a ton! What I did was opened Plex on my Roku, logged out and then restarted my Roku. I then logged back into Plex on my Roku and my Echo immediately found my Roku Plex Player. I haven't tried this on my ATV4, Fire TV or iDevices, but it worked for my Roku which I primarily use anyway because of the more robust Harmony/Echo integration.

  • boysie123boysie123 Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    so it looks like most players still are not updated with the support that Alexa app needs (support something called "PubSub" ) to connect and control. this includes all Samsung Tv's using smart hub, so for now this Alexa connection is unusable by a large % of people. ref: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/256737/alexa-plex#latest

  • pugpug Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 8

    I have updated my PLEXPASS PMS software. Echo dot sees only the browser on my server (PC Tower) and a newly installed T95Z Plus Android Smart Box PLEX client (this will deliver audio from TV Series but NOT from Movies).

    I have logged out of my ROKU3 (primary client), rebooted the ROKU, signed back into PLEX and have NO JOY.

    They who would exchange liberty for safety deserve neither.

  • dannyv45dannyv45 Posts: 386Members ✭✭✭

    @pug said:
    I have updated my PLEXPASS PMS software. Echo dot sees only the browser on my server (PC Tower) and a newly installed T95Z Plus Android Smart Box PLEX client (this will deliver audio from TV Series but NOT from Movies).

    I have logged out of my ROKU3 (primary client), rebooted the ROKU, signed back into PLEX and have NO JOY.

    This thread may be of some help (look for my post). I have a roku3 and 4 both working great.

    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/257447/alexa-doesnt-see-my-devices#latest

    If I knew I was going to live this long I'd taken better care of myself
  • pugpug Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @dannyv45 Thanks so much for this; it worked! That being said, this getting old stuff-- dunno-- guess it beats the alternative. Here is where I had a problem: Took me a minute to recall how to unlink the ROKU and then realized that I had to log into my online Roku account. Unlinked the ROKU I wanted to be accessed by Echo Dot. There were so many "devices" listed in my PMC Device panel, I deleted most of them paying special attention to the ROKU3 for my TV.

    I then re-registered the ROKU3 with my ROKU account naming it a three letter name (as you suggested). On the ROKU page, it displays the name; however, on my PLEX Device page, it is displayed with the serial number of the Roku device-- not my new three letter name. However, Echo Dot found the Roku player listing it by the serial number. SUCCESS!!! THANK YOU!!!

    Nonetheless, why isn't my name change for this device on Roku's website NOT being reflected on my Device page on Plex? What am I missing? (There's that duh, getting old thing happening again!)

    One further question: I am a lifetime PLEX PASS member. Everyone-- even remotes-- log in with a password. Currently, is the mesh of Echo Dot and Plex only allowed on the main account?

    Thanks for all your help! It is much appreciated!

    They who would exchange liberty for safety deserve neither.

  • dannyv45dannyv45 Posts: 386Members ✭✭✭
    edited February 13

    Regarding renaming the roku3

    @pug said:
    I then re-registered the ROKU3 with my ROKU account naming it a three letter name (as you suggested). On the ROKU page, it displays the name; however, on my PLEX Device page, it is displayed with the serial number of the Roku device-- not my new three letter name. However, Echo Dot found the Roku player listing it by the serial number. SUCCESS!!! THANK YOU!!!

    Nonetheless, why isn't my name change for this device on Roku's website NOT being reflected on my Device page on Plex? What am I missing? (There's that duh, getting old thing happening again!)

    It sounds like you renamed it on the Roku configuration page but did not delete it from the plex server device page. once you successfully rename it in the roku configuration app you must delete it from the plex server and re-register it into plex.

    Regarding your question

    One further question: I am a lifetime PLEX PASS member. Everyone-- even remotes-- log in with a password. Currently, is the mesh of Echo Dot and Plex only allowed on the main account?

    The Plex skill is not yet multi user account compatible and must be registered with the main admin user account or it will not work.

    If I knew I was going to live this long I'd taken better care of myself
  • pugpug Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    My list of what I did could have been done better. From my post: " There were so many "devices" listed in my PMC Device panel, I deleted most of them paying special attention to the ROKU3 for my TV."

    In viewing some of the posts on the page you linked to, I see discussions of Roku NOT propagating the new name to PLEX devices. Is this still a problem? Checking my PMS Devices page reveals that I still have the serial number.

    They who would exchange liberty for safety deserve neither.

  • dannyv45dannyv45 Posts: 386Members ✭✭✭
    edited February 13

    @pug said:

    In viewing some of the posts on the page you linked to, I see discussions of Roku NOT propagating the new name to PLEX devices. Is this still a problem? Checking my PMS Devices page reveals that I still have the serial number.

    Ive herd reports of this, but mostly people reported that they did eventually show up it just took a little time (One in particular took 3 hours). I use a ruko 3 and a roku 4 and both showed pretty quickly after the name change and PMS re-register (No more then a minute) after using the method I outlined (I just kept refreshing the PMS browser page until the devices showed up) Maybe try emptying the browser cache.

    If I knew I was going to live this long I'd taken better care of myself
  • pugpug Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @dannyv45 said:

    @pug said:

    In viewing some of the posts on the page you linked to, I see discussions of Roku NOT propagating the new name to PLEX devices. Is this still a problem? Checking my PMS Devices page reveals that I still have the serial number.

    Ive herd reports of this, but mostly people reported that they did eventually show up it just took a little time (One in particular took 3 hours). I use a ruko 3 and a roku 4 and both showed pretty quickly after the name change and PMS re-register (No more then a minute) after using the method I outlined (I just kept refreshing the PMS browser page until the devices showed up) Maybe try emptying the browser cache.

    The Roku device name on the PLEX devices page has finally changed to the three letter name and is recognized by that name by Echo Dot. Will pay closer attention as I install other Echo Dots if / when the interface recognizes users on the PlexPass login. Thanks again for your help!

    They who would exchange liberty for safety deserve neither.

  • melrhombusmelrhombus Posts: 215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Having similar issue... I'll ask the skill to play something and it'll go quiet then next time I ask I'm told it can't find my player anymore. Usually closing plex on the roku and re discovering the devices sorts it out

    Happens from time to time

  • dannyv45dannyv45 Posts: 386Members ✭✭✭
    edited February 16

    @melrhombus said:
    Having similar issue... I'll ask the skill to play something and it'll go quiet then next time I ask I'm told it can't find my player anymore. Usually closing plex on the roku and re discovering the devices sorts it out

    Happens from time to time

    I think that is more of an alexa thing then a plex thing. I've not noticed it with plex or my home entertainment system in general but have noticed it with lighting. I'll ask alexa to turn on living room lights and alexa will activate with spinning blue light for a while and then stop with no response or it will say can't find device, Then I'll ask again and it will do the function. I think it has something to do with the echo dot loosing network connectivity for a moment then reconnecting. Next time disconnect the echo and reconnect it (rebooting it) and see if that corrects the issue.

    If I knew I was going to live this long I'd taken better care of myself
  • melrhombusmelrhombus Posts: 215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @dannyv45 said:

    @melrhombus said:
    Having similar issue... I'll ask the skill to play something and it'll go quiet then next time I ask I'm told it can't find my player anymore. Usually closing plex on the roku and re discovering the devices sorts it out

    Happens from time to time

    I think that is more of an alexa thing then a plex thing. I've not noticed it with plex or my home entertainment system in general but have noticed it with lighting. I'll ask alexa to turn on living room lights and alexa will activate with spinning blue light for a while and then stop with no response or it will say can't find device, Then I'll ask again and it will do the function. I think it has something to do with the echo dot loosing network connectivity for a moment then reconnecting. Next time disconnect the echo and reconnect it (rebooting it) and see if that corrects the issue.

    Interesting... my lights actually never have issues.
    I'm using HUEs

    Yesterday Alexa got caught in a spin... I'd ask Plex to play something and would just get told the canned "device is gone look for another?"
    I'd say no but then it would ask again.... and again... tried to tell it to stop... turn off... eventually had to unplug

    Glad this isn't hooked into my car... You reading this Ford?!

  • paullittlefieldpaullittlefield Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I bought my Echo Dot yesterday, and so far so good. I can get Alexa to list and play items on my Roku3 and the Plex Web App in Firefox and even list items on my Trakt account.

    However, I cannot get Alexa to find the Plex for Android app which is running, on the same network, and listed as an 'officially supported' player.

    Has anyone else found a solution please?

    Ubuntu Server 16.04.3 LTS
    Quad Core 4.3Ghz CPU with 16Gb RAM
    Plex Media Server 1.9.5.4339
    Plex for Android 6.5.3.2115
    Samsung UE49KU6400 with Plex 3.0.10

  • careytomlinsoncareytomlinson Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Alexa is not seeing any web player clients (in browser)...and similarly, I cannot see any other players on my iPhone plex app.

    When I hit my https://plex_media_server:3200/clients - I just get a 401 Unauthorized.

    What to do?

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.