If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Shield TV Critical Storage Level

rguisewiterguisewite Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the 16GB first generation NVIDIA Shield TV, with a 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive connected as adoptable storage. The 128 is nowhere near being filled, but it seems Plex has maxed out the original internal storage on my Shield TV and rendered it unusable. I have a fairly large library stored on my NAS and connected through shield's built-in network storage mounting. Question... Is there a reason plex is storing everything on the original internal storage, and not the adoptable storage? Or... some way of changing that location? I know Plex is a system app and therefore has its main location stored on the system partition (which resides on the original "16GB" storage), but I'd think you'd be able to do all the storage intensive stuff where storage is... actually available. I'd take either of the following: use the adoptable storage, or just put it in the location where the data lives (which is on my Synology NAS). Stinks that all the power of the Shield is moot because it has locked up do to insufficient space (when... there is plenty of space, just "over here").

Best Answer

• rguisewiterguisewite Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

At this point, my "solution" is as follows. Run my movies/TV shows from the Shield TV (since there is much less content there, and therefore won't fill up the private/inaccessible/forced-to-be-on-original-16gb-internal-storage directory) for the beefier transcoding ability when playing externally or on devices that don't support the media format, and then run my music from Plex on my Synology. Definitely not ideal splitting my content between two devices and having to switch back and forth between servers depending on what I want to play, but until Plex fixes the Shield server app, it's the only solution that won't kill my shield and force a complete factory reset of the device (of which I am still unhappy about, since I had it set up just the way I liked it). I'll mark this answer as the accepted answer/solution, but Plex peoples... it is NOT a solution, but a hack. Please fix the real issue.

Answers

• mavrrickmavrrick Posts: 815Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Make sure that the app is set to not generate Preview thumbnails. I believe that has been found as a potential cause of filling the limited space on the 16GB version. This setting is set on the system and library.

Also just to confirm you didn't just adopt the storage, but you also did the migrate data step correct.

Preview thumbnails are, in fact, off (that was a setting I did much earlier). And yes, I migrated to the adoptable storage. Two things have changed recently:

1. I upgraded to plex pass for the ability to sync to devices (and started syncing some music and movies). From what I understand here, the transcoding process shouldn't be limited to the original internal storage... but who knows
    2. I added a Premium Music library on the shield (last night). I am inclined to believe this is the cause, as everything I've read on the forums says the db/library files (thumbnails, metadata, etc) are forced to be on the original internal storage. I tried to delete the library through the web interface but keep getting errors and the library remains (naturally, it doesn't say WHAT the error is). I also tried to download the logs to see, but lo and behold, I get a 500 internal server error and no longs. I'll have to wait until I get home and try to see if I can access the logs or if plex has completely hosed my shield until I wipe the whole thing... which I'll be unhappy to do.

After looking at the network tab when trying to delete the premium music library I created, I'm getting a 500 internal server error on the delete XHR request.

• mavrrickmavrrick Posts: 815Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 3

Where do you have your transcode location set to? If you don't mind some context how big are the libraries you are using?

It was on whatever the default was. Changed it to /storage/emulated/0/Plex Media Server/ and cancelled all the syncing stuff, still nothing. I have maybe 20-30GB of music (~25k individual tracks) and a few hundred movies that I've slowly been ripping from my DVD/BD collection. It seems Plex got through processing about 19k tracks before it died, but it was also syncing playlists/transcoding a few videos at the same time.

Gahhh. WHY PLEX, WHY? My Shield TV is unusable unless I do a complete factory reset. I can't even clear the data from the Plex server. This should not still be an issue. Not after so many people have had issues with the data being stored in an inaccessible folder (I shouldn't need to root my device to get things to work), and not without any word of help, support, or reassurances that something is at least being worked on to fix it. Please Plex devs, fix this soon.

• niallobrniallobr Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can you go to Settings > Apps > Plex Media Server and clear the app cache? My cache was 9GB or something at one stage. You may have to wait for the system to calculate the storage before it will allow you to clear the cache.

PMS: Nvidia SHIELD TV / Synology DS1513+

Client: Shield TV / Xbox One S

Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite

Tried that. It was too full to do much of anything. Tried deleting apps (which didn't work, they'd just sit there at the "uninstalling" stage indefinitely). Tried waiting for the storage to calculate. Once or twice it actually did. Clearing the cache did nothing (there wasn't much in there anyway), and clearing the data would not complete. Ended up just doing a factory reset, which is incredibly annoying to do. Now I have to go through the process of re-downloading all the metadata, which takes the better part of a full day

Accepted Answer

At this point, my "solution" is as follows. Run my movies/TV shows from the Shield TV (since there is much less content there, and therefore won't fill up the private/inaccessible/forced-to-be-on-original-16gb-internal-storage directory) for the beefier transcoding ability when playing externally or on devices that don't support the media format, and then run my music from Plex on my Synology. Definitely not ideal splitting my content between two devices and having to switch back and forth between servers depending on what I want to play, but until Plex fixes the Shield server app, it's the only solution that won't kill my shield and force a complete factory reset of the device (of which I am still unhappy about, since I had it set up just the way I liked it). I'll mark this answer as the accepted answer/solution, but Plex peoples... it is NOT a solution, but a hack. Please fix the real issue.

• axeboxaxebox Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 26

I'm still having this issue. Running PMS on Shield TV (the newer 16gb model). I have pointed the transcoder directory to the shared storage, but for some reason PMS has used 5.5gb(!) of internal storage. I have over 100gb of available storage on USB internal storage! Why is PMS not using this? Why do I have to disable Preview Thumbnails? I love this feature!

I am a Plex Pass user and have a relatively small music library. Is this the issue here? Why is this not fixed at this point?

This is so disappointing. The more I use the PMS on Shield the more bugs show up.

• Strategizer8520Strategizer8520 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

1.6gb of storage left on internal due to PMS here with more than enough fast adoptable storage on my 256gb SSD. Plex really need to allow us to move PMS to adoptive storage because my Shield is constantly crapping out & rebooting, Struggling to install apps & using other apps. PMS takes up so much storage on internal with so little available, That IMO, After awhile is going to do more harm than good...

• jonrstoreyjonrstorey Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please listen plex / nvidia and sort this out - its coming to the point where i have to cancel my Plex Pass and delete from the shield as i’m Just about out of memory.

• KoramchadKoramchad Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here! Out of nowhere problems with storage, even with a usb flash drive connected... what’s going on?