Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost - only on Android

nils.thorsted@gmail.comnils.thorsted@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hi,
just can't get playback working on Android phone and Android TV.
On Apple TV 4 it works fine!
The error that keeps popping up (the movie never starts) is: "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media server has been lost"
Please advise.

I have attached both server and Mobil logs.
Running server on Synology NAS, server build is 1.3.4.3285

Answers

• HarvesterOfEyesHarvesterOfEyes Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

Same error here. Music playlist will play but no movies. Plex Media Player -plays same video at same location, same network with no issues.

• jimrinjimrin Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

I don't recall the last time I tried but now I am getting this error too for all my Mpeg2 videos. These videos played OK previously and still play OK on my Windows machine but give me an error on my Android device. Sigh.

• CiATRiXCiATRiX Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass
    edited February 8

I'm getting this same error on my android devices but only on content that has been synced.
    I've attached my log files also.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,134 Plex Pass

Is this happening during local or remote playback?

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.7.5 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• CiATRiXCiATRiX Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

For me only on local synced video's.

It occurs when attempting to play movies locally and remotely.

It is definitely an issue with the app. I can go to the Plex website and access the web player using the Chrome app and movies will play without the error message.

• planetab72planetab72 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 40 Plex Pass

Same here Android issue. Change Direct Play setting from Auto to Forced as a workaround for now. Note that I can no longer cast to Chromecast anymore though in this situation.
    Same error/problem on IOS platform as well with latest non plexpass versions for both client and server.
    However the Smart TV version 2.005 for Samsung continues to work perfectly. Please don't screw up anymore platforms or we'll be down to nothing.

• planetab72planetab72 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 40 Plex Pass

Why is this post thread marked as answered? It's definitely isn't working by design, just workarounds.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,134 Plex Pass

@planetab72 said:
    Why is this post thread marked as answered? It's definitely isn't working by design, just workarounds.

Look at other threads - answered only means someone provided an answer. Only the OP can mark a thread answered - which shows green highlighted answered.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.7.5 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• Catniss54Catniss54 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    via Email
    Cat

On February 18, 2017, at 6:25 AM, planetab72 wrote:

Plex Forums http://forums.plex.tv/
    planetab72 commented on Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost - only on Android

• kcalvertkcalvert Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

This is happening to more and more of my library. I have 3 Nexus TV players and all of them I experience this issue but each device has it's own set of files and shows that it won't play. There is no rhyme or reason to it either. Shows/movies that once played fine on all 3 devices now only work on two of the devices. It seems the more updates more issues I have.

• luisfmoreiraluisfmoreira Members, Plex Pass Posts: 32 Plex Pass

Happening to me too ... anyone got any ideia of whats going on?

• ollie105ollie105 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Do we have an update on this issue?

I have been using Plex for years without any issue, yesterday was watching with no issue, today unable to play on any Android, IOS devices or through web browser, I can still play on Win10 app and Xbox One. This issue is remote and lan.
    It seems to me to be a transcoding issue as both devices still able to play video play using Direct play but i could be incorrect, I can get video on android if i force Direct Play but no sound as its still trying to transcode the audio.

Running Windows WHS 2011
    Server Version 1.5.4.3596

• dblagbrodblagbro Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I'm having this issue too - on a local WiFi LAN, I'm a network engineer and have plenty of local bandwidth and connectivity is FINE... some items play, but some I watched just 2 weeks ago won't play now. Anyone? Can we pay for extra support? ... I just want it working and I'm willing to pay and / or work with someone on it.

Environment:
    -Amazon Firestick (even factory reset and re-installed Plex) - plays on Linux workstation in Chrome but same movie won't play on Firestick
    -Multiple AP WiFi LAN, 802.11g, 802.11n, even 802.11ac, even tried dedicating 1 AP and SSID to Plex and I live in rural area with no other SSID detected for miles.
    -Dedicated Plex Server hosted in clustered VMWare ESXi 6.0 with 12Gb RAM reserved and 32,000Mhz reserved CPU, burstable into the 250,000mhz range.
    -iSCSI SAN, RAID5 with 1Tb SSD cache, with 4 bonded 1Gb links to core switch.
    -total storage of 11+Tb HDD

I'm willing to work with support here... and I probably have one of the best hardware setups available to prove it's not hardware resources. Please anyone but crickets answer me...

OK guys, I believe I have found the problem.

Due to local storage limit on the VM I use for Plex, I only had about 25Gb spare so I found a way to map my "Transcoder temporary directory" in the advanced settings... I mapped it to a network drive with 1+Tb storage free but, the permissions were not working on my network share so it was failing on any devices that needed to be trans-coded but would play where direct playback was allowed.

I downloaded the zip with the logs from my sever and I found this part that pointed me in the right direction... I wish there was some check for r/w permissions when setting the "Transcoder temporary directory" ... this feature would be a nice add - I'm talking to you support!

here's the log that helped me:

Apr 17, 2017 20:11:10.887 [0x7f5a95ffe700] DEBUG - Scaled up video bitrate to 7314Kbps based on 1.500000x fudge factor.
    Apr 17, 2017 20:11:10.887 [0x7f5a95ffe700] DEBUG - MDE: The Purge: Anarchy (2014): selected media 0 / 103995
    Apr 17, 2017 20:11:10.887 [0x7f5a95ffe700] DEBUG - Starting a transcode session ce882c434a242535-com-plexapp-android at offset -1.0 (state=3)
    Apr 17, 2017 20:11:10.889 [0x7f5a95ffe700] ERROR - Error creating directory /mnt/s/movies/tmp_plex/plex-transcode-ce882c434a242535-com-plexapp-android-6bf44294-0a39-49c4-8f83-e81f9fef355c: boost::filesystem::create_directory: Permission denied: "/mnt/s/movies/tmp_plex/plex-transcode-ce882c434a242535-com-plexapp-android-6bf44294-0a39-49c4-8f83-e81f9fef355c"
    Apr 17, 2017 20:11:10.889 [0x7f5a95ffe700] DEBUG - [Universal] Using local file path instead of URL: /mnt/s/movies/The.Purge.Anarchy.2014.1080p.BluRay.AC3.x264-nelly45.mkv
    Apr 17, 2017 20:11:10.889 [0x7f5a95ffe700] DEBUG - TPU: hardware transcoding: zero-copy support not present

TL;dr: You need transcoder storage space and R/W permissions on it!

... this fixed some issues but not all... DO NOT mark my above answer as a final answer.

• heartofstoneheartofstone Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hi team,
    I too have been having the exact same issue with the android app. Given the web version, apple app, smart TV apps are all working correctly on my network I can only assume this is limited to the android app.
    In the last week there have been updates to both the app and PMS (well at least I updated then) and it still has not resolved anything.
    Is there an official line on this issue? Is there a proper resolution from support??!!!

So I have now been stable for about a week after finding that my network share was losing it's mount. In my linux 'dmesg' log I found errors showing the following:

"
    [ 107.245890] Key type cifs.idmap registered
    [70977.049041] CIFS VFS: Autodisabling the use of server inode numbers on \192.168.18.5\disk0. This server doesn't seem to support them properly. Hardlinks will not be recognized on this mount. Consider mounting with the "noserverino" option to silence this message.
    [82951.796324] audit_printk_skb: 36 callbacks suppressed
    "
    The bold section above indicated a problem with my Network Share (CIFS mount in Linux). After some more digging I found this link which showed me how to add a "noserverino" feature to my /etc/fstab file which has since preserved my mount and the network share isn't being lost.

Link: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/etc-fstab-mounting-a-windows-share-944766/

So, between the first permission based issue I found 3 responses up in this thread being a linux share problem and later another linux share problem based on the "noserverino" setting, if you are experiencing this problem, look into your network servers... either where things are being saved / served from for a temporary format change or for where the files are served to the Plex server itself. You may find problems in the network share are causing this error.

• BRUCE99BRUCE99 Members Posts: 2

Had the exact same issue on my TV and never got round to try and fix it until today. I have fixed it by unticking Allow Direct Stream in settings and it is now working again with every movie. Hope this helps!