Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Skill for Alexa (Fire TV)

progravixprogravix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 334 Plex Pass

I have the most recent PMS (1.3.4.3285-b46e0ea) and Plex for Fire TV (5.4.3.131). I am experiencing a few issues, and wonder how to correct.

1st:
This has been an issue for some time, and not limited to Alexa. At some point, the ability to rename the Fire TV in the Plex app was removed. I have two Fire TVs (one upstairs and one downstairs). Via Amazon, I have renamed these "Fire TV - Upstairs" and "Fire TV - Downstairs". In the Plex ecosystem, however, these are seen as "Fire TV and Fire TV" or "My AFTB and My AFTB". There is no way to change the name, or tell them apart. It was already impossible to fling content to one of these devices. Now, it's impossible to setup one of the Fire TVs as the default player for Alexa's Plex Skill. It gives me a list of my players to choose from (wherein I should pick the number), but my choices are...

1) Fire TV
2) Fire TV
3) Drew's iPad mini
4) Plex Web (Safari)

The support doc indicated "Note: The Amazon Fire TV's default player name is Fire TV." This implies it can be changed, but where?

2nd:
It's not playing the media I ask it to. I have confirmed that Alexa is hearing me properly, but it doesn't play the right thing. Sometimes it does not work. For example.

"Tell Plex, Play Goonies"
It pull's up Pixar's Planes, and begins to play it.

"Tell Plex, Play The Goonies"
It pull's up The Boxtrolls, and begins to play it.

Sometimes is does work:

"Tell Plex, Play The Magnificent Seven"
It pull's up The Magnificent Seven, and begins to play it.

Answers

• progravixprogravix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 334 Plex Pass

Just now realized there was an Alexa category (and saw other posts discussing the 1st issue).

Still curious about my two issues, but will certainly keep an eye on this category.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,372 Plex Employee

1 - The Fire TV has never had the ability to be renamed. Unless you rooted the device and installed something so the Plex app didn't recognize it as a Fire TV and loaded the mobile or old TV layout. Those had the ability. The official Fire TV has always had the newer interface. If you mean the Fire TV Stick, yes, it had the ability before since it launched with the old TV layout. The Fire OS5 update then brought with it the new interface as well. We are looking for ways to add the ability back. It's not a quick fix but on our radar.

2 - The voice recognition isn't 100 percent so it might miss some things. If you have the Alexa app on your phone, you can review what the device heard to see if the voice recognition was correct or not.

edited February 5

1 - This is not true. I have 2 of the 1st generation Fire TVs. For a considerable amount of time, you could name the device within the Plex app (Plex Settings > Experience > Device Name). This went away when the Fire TV was updated to OS5 (and the Plex layout updated). I did not root it or install any mobile or old TV layout. So, having multiple devices attached to your account named "Fire TV" inhibits the use of the Alexa Plex Skill, in addition to inhibiting the flinging to those devices.

2 - As I said, "I have confirmed that Alexa is hearing me properly." I asked it to play "Goonies." It played Disney's Planes. I asked it to play "The Goonies." It played The Boxtrolls.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 683 Plex Pass

I believe the command is " Alexa, ASK plex to play the MOVIE.... Goonies"

ASK and TELL can be used interchangeably. The support doc does not indicate the need to say MOVIE, but I will give it a try.

@SiscoPlex said:
    I believe the command is " Alexa, ASK plex to play the MOVIE.... Goonies"

Nope, still plays "Disney's Planes"

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 683 Plex Pass

Perhaps try "THE Goonies" rather than just "Goonies". Alternatively, did you update the app or un-install then re-install and re-config the plex client app. I have found that this updates the app properly on this particular update and resolves many issues. I would try "The Goonies" first though.

As originally stated...

"Tell Plex, Play The Goonies"
    It pull's up The Boxtrolls, and begins to play it.

Yes, I did uninstall the app and reinstall it.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,372 Plex Employee

Can you enter "Goonies" into the search bar in Plex Web and see what results comes up.

1 result: The Goonies (1985)

To be clear, this result was for the server you have set as the default for Alexa. If you have access to more than 1 server, Plex Web by default searches all servers.

If the above is fine, please try again, then get me the PMS and Fire TV logs.

edited February 7

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    To be clear, this result was for the server you have set as the default for Alexa. If you have access to more than 1 server, Plex Web by default searches all servers.

If the above is fine, please try again, then get me the PMS and Fire TV logs.

Yes, default server for Alexa (and only server I have). Logs attached.

You can see the "Goonies" voice query, yet it plays "Planes."

Ok, I see where it searched for Goonies, but then played Planes. Can you get me the xml for both movies, I'd like to see if there is something getting mixed up?

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Ok, I see where it searched for Goonies, but then played Planes. Can you get me the xml for both movies, I'd like to see if there is something getting mixed up?

Here you go.

• systemsharksystemshark Members, Plex Pass Posts: 194 Plex Pass

I'm guessing this is a challanging one, whcih is also impacting me too.

@progravix - Can you put this into your browser on your PMS machine and send me the results?

http://127.0.0.1:32400/hubs/search/voice?query=Goonies&X-Plex-Token=

Adding your token at the end.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    @progravix - Can you put this into your browser on your PMS machine and send me the results?

I'm sorry, Token?

@MovieFan.Plex said:

3 results. XML attached.

Any ideas?