Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback issue when using Alexa with Fire TV devices

MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 14,905 Plex Employee

There was an issue with Alexa playing back to Fire TV devices (including both Fire TV Sticks and the Fire TV 2)on launch. A problem was identified with the Android app on the Fire TV devices. A fix was made and an update to the app is now available. Version 5.4.3. Please check your appstore and make sure you are updated to this new version. If you still have playback issues, please let us know. If you are having connection issues, that is a separate issue so please star a new thread and provide some details.

Comments

• searlecomsearlecom Posts: 8 Plex Pass
    edited February 4

Working for me after updating the app.

Thanks guys this is Heaven!

Alexa, give a round of applause to the Plex.tv team!

• LynnsLynns Posts: 8 Plex Pass

So is this update available in the uk and will it enable Alexa?

• arronshieldsarronshields Posts: 49 Plex Pass

Update installed and control of Fire TV now working, but only when one is on. So playback is sorted, thanks Plex!

Do you know if there is an update coming for the multiple Fire TVs issue @MovieFan.Plex please?

• arronshieldsarronshields Posts: 49 Plex Pass

@Lynns yes, I'm in the UK and have Alexa working with Plex on a Fire TV second gen.

No support for Plex Home (multiple users - only works with main account) yet, as far as I can see and if you have more than one Fire TV on it can't work out what to do as they are all called 'Fire TV' in Plex. Hopefully those features will be addressed in the future as the skill develops, but the basic playback functionality works nicely now.

We just need Amazon to enable general control of Fire TVs via Echo as they have in the US so we can launch Plex with Echo as well, then it really will be a hands free experience :)

• JonesyJonesy Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Still no luck... Running 5.4.3 and it still doesn't see the fire tv as a player. All it sees is plexweb - chrome... Aftv is lived into the same account that the dot is registered to....

• wtaelewiswtaelewis Posts: 1 Plex Pass

The new version does seem to have fixed the launch problem, however now when I stop playing a movie, either using the remote or via Alexa command, the player locks up and shows the three dots in the center of the screen, like it's thinking about something. The only way to get control back in the app is to either Force Stop it or Restart the Fire TV entirely. This was not the behavior before the update. I am running a 2nd Generation Fire TV Box and version 5.4.3 of the Plex app. I do have the app moved to external storage, if that matters. I use Alexa either from my 2nd Generation Dot or the Alexa interface on the Fire TV.

• rossl1986rossl1986 Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I am still having the same problem after updating the app to 5.4.3. I can play all of my media files by manually selecting them, I can play, pause etc using my echo dot (2nd gen). Alexa even recognises that I have partially watched a movie. However, I still get the error about the item not being available to play.

• GoGoJoeGoGoJoe Posts: 12 Plex Pass

I'm having such a hard time with this. I have multiple Amazon Fire Sticks, but to simplify things I've forced closed all plex players except for the one i want to use with Alexa. Now I have both an Alexa Dot and The Amazon Fire Tv WITH Alexa Remote... I have updated both my Plex Server + Plex App on my Fire Stick (Both are at the latest versions).

I've tried activating/ setting up/ ripping my hair out via both aveunues ... Via Remote and Via Dot.. Both end in failure...

I enabled the plex skill in my alexa app, link and authorize my plex account.... When I initially try to setup Plex with My Alexa dot, it greets me and says, I see your new here bla bla blah... It's able to locate my Plex Servers no problem. But it cannot find the Plex Player on my Amazon Fire Tv to save my life!!!..... I don't understand whyyyyyyyy? I can ping the TV fine... I'm able to access it's logs from my computer and the log port http://x.x.x.x:32500/logging ( I can see all my logs).

Everything work seamless with the Alexa remote (by clicking), i can even open up the Alexa App via remote (Alexa open Plex)

HOWEVER, if I initiate the plex skill on my TV it continiouslly tells me i need to enable the skill on my phone and then return to setup servers.. (the skill is already enabled in alexa, so the message is bogus from the Fire TV/ Alexa TV Remote).... Seemed to work better with just the dot.. atleast it wasn't confused at to the skill being enabled already....

You'd think AMAZON Alexa and AMAZON Fire Stick would be one of the first items that would work seamlessly together but Amazon is too busy trying to figure out how you can hook up your dishwasher with Alexa ... no time for fire sticks..

• jonithjjonithj Posts: 3 Plex Pass

The Update solved my Plex and Alexa problems.
    Thanks

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 14,905 Plex Employee

If Alexa is still not seeing your Fire TV as a player, try logging out of the app and back in. You should then get the screen to re-link your account. Make sure you are using your admin account, then try connecting from Alexa. You can use "Alexa, ask Plex to list players" and it will list what it finds without changing the default player if you've already set it to something else.

• RichStevensonRichStevenson Posts: 47 Plex Pass

I'm still getting the "can't find any companion players" after the update. I've logged out/in, disabled/enabled the skill, still can't find the Fire Tv Stick. It works with the web player, and android app on my S7. Anything else we I can try?

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 4,512 Plex Pass

@RichStevenson said:
    I'm still getting the "can't find any companion players" after the update. I've logged out/in, disabled/enabled the skill, still can't find the Fire Tv Stick. It works with the web player, and android app on my S7. Anything else we I can try?

How did you do the update? It appears you have to delete the app and then add it back for the update to actually work.

@kegobeer-plex said:

@RichStevenson said:

How did you do the update? It appears you have to delete the app and then add it back for the update to actually work.

Yep. I uninstalled the app from the stick, and re-installed it.

edited February 5

Just to add to the things I've tried. I just did a factory reset on the stick, and reinstalled Plex. Still not seeing the player. I can send video from my S7 to the stick, and I can see the player in the browser as seen below. Would love to get this working, but I don't know what else to look at? Would there be something in the server logs that may point to the issue?

Server name="AFTT" host="172.16.4.54" address="172.16.4.54" port="32500" machineIdentifier="a0a3d3a7a8ebea62-com-plexapp-android" version="5.4.3.131" protocol="plex" product="Plex for Android" deviceClass="mobile" protocolVersion="1" protocolCapabilities="timeline,playback,navigation,mirror,playqueues"

• andpoiandpoi Posts: 11 Plex Pass

Having the same problem with 5.4.3.131. I've uninstalled and re-installed, signed out and in, still not seeing the player on my network but every other device can.

@RichStevenson said:
    Just to add to the things I've tried. I just did a factory reset on the stick, and reinstalled Plex. Still not seeing the player. I can send video from my S7 to the stick, and I can see the player in the browser as seen below. Would love to get this working, but I don't know what else to look at? Would there be something in the server logs that may point to the issue?

Server name="AFTT" host="172.16.4.54" address="172.16.4.54" port="32500" machineIdentifier="a0a3d3a7a8ebea62-com-plexapp-android" version="5.4.3.131" protocol="plex" product="Plex for Android" deviceClass="mobile" protocolVersion="1" protocolCapabilities="timeline,playback,navigation,mirror,playqueues"

What device are you using? Have you checked if it is on the same subnet as the Fire Stick?

I've tried it from the FS Remote, the Echo, and the Dot. All say the same thing about no companion app found. Only one subnet in the house, it's 172.16.4.0/24, and contains all devices.

What OS are you using and what version of PMS are you running?

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    What OS are you using and what version of PMS are you running?

Running on a NetGear ReadyNAS 214 with firmware v6.6.1. Plex Version 1.3.4.3285

• GoGoJoeGoGoJoe Posts: 12 Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    There was an issue with Alexa playing back to Fire TV devices (including both Fire TV Sticks and the Fire TV 2)on launch. A problem was identified with the Android app on the Fire TV devices. A fix was made and an update to the app is now available. Version 5.4.3. Please check your appstore and make sure you are updated to this new version. If you still have playback issues, please let us know. If you are having connection issues, that is a separate issue so please star a new thread and provide some details.

Perhaps we can remove this message as it doesn't actually appear to have fixed the problem