Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Linking Plex to Alexa

crspangenbergcrspangenberg Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been trying to link Plex with Alexa for the past two days.

Every time I say "Ask Plex to..." I get "To get the most out of this skill please link your account" i go into the Alexa App and link the account but nothing ever changes.

Any insight would be great!

Answers

• GoGoJoeGoGoJoe Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 5

lots of us are in the same boat. Many of the developers are probably scrambling, playing around with fire sticks trying to get it to work. It's not easy programing these things i'd imagine. even following online tutorials to build your own skills can be challenging. I sure hope it's just a matter of time before the good people at plex figure this out!; how to properly target devices (perhaps by scanning ip on sub-net or somethinnnnn! ). I actually got one able to connect for about 30 minutes, it didn't work... as i called up the movie it would show a picture of the movie and saying playing as i waited anxiously nothing happened. So yes.... there's bugs in the code and it does work with some devices.. fire tv, fire stick doesn't seems to be one of them.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@crspangenberg said:
    I have been trying to link Plex with Alexa for the past two days.

Every time I say "Ask Plex to..." I get "To get the most out of this skill please link your account" i go into the Alexa App and link the account but nothing ever changes.

Any insight would be great!

Just to make sure, you are saying "Alexa, ask Plex ..."?

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• crspangenbergcrspangenberg Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@GoGoJoe - Okay, glad to hear I am not the only one! I am sure they will get it fixed, the Plex team are top notch!

@kegobeer-plex - Yeah I absolutely am saying "Alexa, Ask Plex" but i cannot get pass the setup and linking.

Bummer here!

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@crspangenberg said:
    @kegobeer-plex - Yeah I absolutely am saying "Alexa, Ask Plex" but i cannot get pass the setup and linking.

Bummer here!

Have you tried deleting the skill and then adding it back?

Where are my log files?

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

@kegobeer-plex - Yup multiple times, I've tried authorizing from my computer as well as my phone, no luck. I tried going from 1.4 back to the latest version of 1.3 still no luck.

Any problems with other skills?

Where are my log files?

@kegobeer-plex - Negative no other issues.

Just, wanted to try to get some fresh eyes on this, I am still having zero luck linking with Alexa

Are you in the US?

Where are my log files?

@kegobeer-plex yes, i sure am

Do you have more than one Plex account? Is it trying to link to something other than your main Plex account? I'm just throwing out ideas, because this is definitely an odd one.

Where are my log files?

@kegobeer-plex - Negative only this account. I thought it was weird as well... I've tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to be working. It says it links but then never does. And from the link screen through the Alexa App at the bottom I can select use a different user (Plex Account), I get an error code from Plex suggesting a start over again.

• kountzerokountzero Posts: 4Members Plex Pass

Been trying ages to do the same and now I've got a sore throat from ranting at alexa to stop playing the poxy welcome message

• b_ozb_oz Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same thing here. Can't link my plex account to Alexa. I tried 1.34, 1.42, restarting every device, disable/enable skill. Everything is under the same account. I have been trying with a Dot. Any suggestions?

edited February 26

@b_oz said:
    Same thing here. Can't link my plex account to Alexa. I tried 1.34, 1.42, restarting every device, disable/enable skill. Everything is under the same account. I have been trying with a Dot. Any suggestions?

Search around the forum for Alexa - someone got it working by removing the Alexa skill, removing the Plex server from the list of devices...I don't remember everything he did, but you should be able to find the post about it.

Where are my log files?

In the devices list, does the alexa icon become coloured like all the others when it is correctly linked, Or does it stay as a generic charcoal coloured one?

Spent a good 40mins searching the forum with the alexa term and the closest I got to a result was another reference to this illusive post about some magic server settings that the guy made.

This is doing my nut in lol

edited March 1

Basically you delete the Alexa skill, then go to the Plex web client and look at your devices. Delete the server from the list and if the Alexa skill is in there under "other", delete that too. Then add the server back and add the skill back. I think that's how it went. Maybe log out of the server and log back in too. My memory isn't very clear on it, sorry.

No, the Alexa entry never changes color AFAIK.

Where are my log files?

Actually I tried this before coming to the forum and it didn't work unfortunately. I'm wondering if there could be a setting In the server that has an adverse effect on it, or , bear in mind I have opened the relevant port on the router is it possible the alexa skill uses another undocumented port during the setup or subsequent comms

edited March 5

Following up, I just opened all the ports listed in the instructions for developers of skills and it made no difference

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/articles/46667/what-tcpudp-ports-does-echo-use.html

As an afterthought are any of you guys having issues on virginmedia and using the superhub v3? Or using the dodgy rebranded Intel chipset hubs some isp's have lately provided?

Has anyone had any luck with this as of yet?