If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex on Shield fails to passthrough multi channel audio (at times)

joshmo_169joshmo_169 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Since upgrading to shield's 5.0 experience update I've been having multi channel sound issues with Plex. It fails to pass through multi channel audio and at times I have to exit the app or try other videos before I can get it to work. If I disable passthrough I can get the audio to work but with it enabled nothing works. This happens with any multi-channel audio (AC3 5.1, DTS-HD, DolbyAtmos, etc).

I've added the logs here pastebin.com/T4d2WHgA

Plex Client Version - 5.4.3.131
Plex Server Version (also on Shield) - 1.3.4.3285

Best Answer

Answers

• joshmo_169joshmo_169 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

If it helps, after getting it to work here are the logs pastebin.com/VA1jsEwY

• joshmo_169joshmo_169 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Thanks for that. Hopefully this comes out soon.

• plexapp@sully.orgplexapp@sully.org Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 11

I'm running into this as well, with multi-channel FLAC files. How does one (Plex Pass member) get a Android TV / Shield beta build?

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@plex@sully.org said:
    I'm running into this as well, with multi-channel FLAC files. How does one (Plex Pass member) get a Android TV / Shield beta build?

You join the beta program.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/220582/help-us-beta-test-the-android-app#latest

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• citrusfizzcitrusfizz Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just tried Plex on shield tv 2nd gen today. updated everything. audio passthrough works except for DTSMA 7.1 or 6.1

signed up for the beta program, but i only have 14 days to return this device

• citrusfizzcitrusfizz Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Update!!! Success.
    I sideloaded this APK on my shield, now DTS-HD DMA 7.1 chan works!!!

• Nicolai & KarinaNicolai & Karina Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Will it passthrough any formats now - like Atmos and DTS-HD MA?
    I currently have a Sony Android TV and the only sound Plex will give me is DD or PCM and it transcodes almost all audio codecs.

• AndrroidAndrroid Posts: 1,194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Nicolai & Karina said:
    I currently have a Sony Android TV and the only sound Plex will give me is DD or PCM and it transcodes almost all audio codecs.

Your TV likely does not support Atmos or DTS-HDMA decoding or passthrough.

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Nicolai & Karina said:

Unless you have an avr, this will likely always be the case. TV's don't tend to support HD audio passthrough.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• Nicolai & KarinaNicolai & Karina Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a Sony KDL-55W809C tv and a Sony STR-DN1060 reciever. The plan is to connect the Shield directly to my AMP to benefit the lossless audio.
    ARC only supports LPCM stereo, DTS 3/2.1 and Dolby Digital 3/2.1 anyway, so connecting it to the tv first would just be stupid..