Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sync Media with OpenPHT

lblanchardiiilblanchardiii Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I travel for work a lot and normally end up in a hotel with **** Internet. This means that I can't comfortably shows/movies on my PMS as they just buffer too much. Is their a way to sync them to the device using OpenPHT? I normally just connect my laptop to the TV in the room. I leave my laptop online 24/7 while I am at work, so it could download/sync what I want to watch while I am away during the day and be done by the time I return, however I can't seem to figure out how to get it to sync. I don't see an option to.

Answers

• daniel.culldaniel.cull Members, Plex Pass Posts: 288 Plex Pass

OpenPHT doesnt have that option, i believe the only one besides a mobile device that can use Mobile Sync is the Plex app for Windows (not PMP)

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

Check out the Epic Aeon Nox Skin for OpenPHT
    Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

• eugovectoreugovector Members, Plex Pass Posts: 84 Plex Pass

Yeah, personally, I understand why this isn't an option in OpenPHT as is probably a minor use case that would take a lot of development time, but would be great to see in the official PMP. Assuming you're on Windows, get the plex app. Chromebook will hopefully get android app soon. Mac...maybe not.

There may also be a way to do a direct wi-fi connection to something like a Chromecast from a supported mobile device, or choose a mobile device with HDMI out.

Otherwise, get familiar with the batch process scripts in handbrake.

• lblanchardiiilblanchardiii Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Apparently I can sync it through the web browser. I logged into the server and synced it to the Chrome option for my laptop and either the connection here at the hotel got a lot better or it synced it.

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 979 Plex Pass

@lblanchardiii said:
    Apparently I can sync it through the web browser. I logged into the server and synced it to the Chrome option for my laptop and either the connection here at the hotel got a lot better or it synced it.

I can't sync to my web browser. I can use the web browser to chose a mobile device to sync to though.

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

• eckartheckarth Members, Plex Pass Posts: 447 Plex Pass
    edited February 9

@benjaminwolf I do not understand. Plex in my web browser has an item "download" hidden under the three dots. Is that not what you guys are looking for?

A similar feature in OpenPHT or RasPlex in particular would be wonderful.

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 979 Plex Pass
    edited February 9

@eckarth said:
    @benjaminwolf I do not understand. Plex in my web browser has an item "download" hidden under the three dots. Is that not what you guys are looking for?

A similar feature in OpenPHT or RasPlex in particular would be wonderful.

That's a direct download link, which works for getting the media on your laptop/PC, etc. But it doesn't create a local database and server for the Plex client that the mobile apps have. You don't watch it from the Plex interface for example and you can't search for it in Plex. You also can't serve it back out to other Plex clients like you can with sync'd media.

With the local 'play file' option, we could institute something like that perhaps. But it's very low priority at the moment. If someone wants to make a request for that at the Github, maybe the devs will work on it. There are no plans for creating the full on sync feature though, as it's a much larger niche project. The active members of the team are extremely few and their resources limited. We have problems we need to fix before we try adding more features that require more support resources.

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

• davoodinatordavoodinator Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    edited July 21

@eugovector said:
    Yeah, personally, I understand why this isn't an option in OpenPHT as is probably a minor use case that would take a lot of development time, but would be great to see in the official PMP. Assuming you're on Windows, get the plex app. Chromebook will hopefully get android app soon. Mac...maybe not.

There may also be a way to do a direct wi-fi connection to something like a Chromecast from a supported mobile device, or choose a mobile device with HDMI out.

Otherwise, get familiar with the batch process scripts in handbrake.

I disagree with it being a minor use case.

I think anyone using plex on the go (read: laptops) is going to want to sync media because internet isn't available in sufficient throughput on airplanes, cruises, trains, buses and @ various destinations & hotels. that coupled with the fact that the plex app for windows is just pure garbage. anything else is better/preferred.

case in point. in europe. I noticed many hotels had blocked all traffic that wasn't port 80 or 443. I had to tunnel my plex through port 443 to make it work and even then it was terribly slow.

The media that i had synced was what I mostly enjoyed. except the music. plex app on windows seems to hate synced music.