Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] Chapter Metadata Agent

daeksdaeks Posts: 155Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is a Metadata Agent for parsing EDL files and add its content as chapters to PLEX. By default EDL files are read as commerical comskip generated files. This let the agent automatically generate dummy chapters between each found commerical.

Download
Source: https://github.com/daeks/Chapter-Agent.bundle

Installation
See the How do I manually install a channel? support article.

Comments

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,853Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited February 2017

Does this work with tv shows or with movies, or both?

Plex downloads automatically chapters for movies from chapterdb.org
    What happens with these? Will they get overwritten?

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • daeksdaeks Posts: 155Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Currently I have only enabled it for Personal Media, but could be extended to what ever need.
    Chapters will be overwritten by the agent as it asumes the EDL file as master.

• leaded1leaded1 Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

You, sir, are a hero! Installing now.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,853Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Thanks for the explanation!

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

This only showed up as an Agent under Movies for me after I installed, so I changed the class to Agent.TV_Shows and now it shows up under TV Shows where all of my DVR recordings with .edl files are.

@leaded1 said:
    This only showed up as an Agent under Movies for me after I installed, so I changed the class to Agent.TV_Shows and now it shows up under TV Shows where all of my DVR recordings with .edl files are.

your changes are welcome on github :)

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,914Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Added here:
    forums.plex.tv/discussion/200017

And do consider this

/T

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

I spoke too soon, the Agent never seems to get called after changing the class to TV Shows.
    It does work perfectly in the default configuration with my recordings added as Other Video in a new library. Thanks again for the plug-in

• JasonMeudtJasonMeudt Posts: 245Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In short review (not having used the agent yet...), this should be generating more attention than it has!

With Plex not using/implementing edl files as is, the implentation of chapters using them (edl files...), automatically (!), the DVR users should be jumping for joy!

Looks like a little more fine tuning to move it to TV Shows is necessary...

• Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.6 Mhz (Plex Server)
    • Netgear R7000 (Xwrt-Vortex firmware)
    • 2x Google Chromecast V2 (Media Player)
    • 3x Roku (Media Player)
    • 20 TB of Storage Space

I'm not much of a coder, but I got plex to call the agent for TV Shows by adding a hook to the TVDB agent under the "contributes to" property. it looks like Plex handles TV Show items differently than Movie items because the chapter agent throws an index out of range error after theses changes, and does not successfully add the chapters. I can post my changes and/or the error logs if that helps?

• JasonMeudtJasonMeudt Posts: 245Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@leaded1 said:
    I can post my changes and/or the error logs if that helps?

Please do!

• Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.6 Mhz (Plex Server)
    • Netgear R7000 (Xwrt-Vortex firmware)
    • 2x Google Chromecast V2 (Media Player)
    • 3x Roku (Media Player)
    • 20 TB of Storage Space
    edited March 2017

Here is the error I am getting:

2017-03-18 14:02:26,128 (135c) :  CRITICAL (core:574) - Exception in the update function of agent named 'Chapter Agent', called with guid 'com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb://281511?lang=en' (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins-3b8374a5c\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2\Python\Framework\api\agentkit.py", line 1076, in _update
        agent.update(obj, media, lang, **kwargs)
      File "C:\Users\Leard\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Chapter-Agent.bundle\Contents\Code\__init__.py", line 22, in update
        part = media.items[0].parts[0]
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins-3b8374a5c\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2\Python\Framework\code\sandbox.py", line 108, in <lambda>
        _getitem_           = lambda x, y: x.__getitem__(y),
    IndexError: list index out of range

• boondawgyboondawgy Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just so I understand, this just adds chapter markers to the file, the user still needs to press a button to jump past the next commercials? Or does this automatically skip past commercials as defined in the EDL file?

It just adds the edl content as chapter markers to PLEX

• dmike1379dmike1379 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Has anyone gotten this working for Shows? The agent only shows under Movies.
    Thank You

• TVPlexHDTVPlexHD Posts: 85Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any traction on this? The plugin is only useful for TV Show library content but currently doesn't work for TV Show content. Like someone else mentioned, I can't believe this isn't blowing up. Comskip is huge in the PVR space.

tbh this channel plugin is more or less inactive wrt development as only iOS clients are currently supporting chapters. As I have replaced my iOS devices I can not further test any changes until PLEX integrates chapter support properly in other devices as well.

• dinkidinki Posts: 2Members

Has anyone gotten this to work with tv show content? I'd like to be able to skip commercials like chapters on DVD. Any help is most appreciated.

• HellowlolHellowlol Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dinki said:
    Has anyone gotten this to work with tv show content? I'd like to be able to skip commercials like chapters on DVD. Any help is most appreciated.

I dont think it works. I have tried to add support for this but the Tvshow metadata object does not seem to support chapters.

I have added support for normal movie. But i cant seem to get it to work correctly. I can see that the xml file is written and the chapters are listed there, but if i includeChapters=1 i just need the one that was downloaded or is included in the media file. Any suggestion on how to solve this?

• paulvirtuelpaulvirtuel Posts: 12Members ✭✭

@daeks said:
    tbh this channel plugin is more or less inactive wrt development as only iOS clients are currently supporting chapters. As I have replaced my iOS devices I can not further test any changes until PLEX integrates chapter support properly in other devices as well.

See here for other devices that support chapters:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/308418/no-chapter-selection-for-movies-tv-shows-in-plex