If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

HDR Support for Xbox S?

swanleeswanlee Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is this future feature that is possible? I've gotten 4K videos to play fine, it seems to be playing in 4K, looks great and the video in plex says it is 4K and the settings option show as Original. I was able to get ahold of a 4K HDR test video file and it played but did not trigger HDR on my TV.

Answers

• swanleeswanlee Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone have an update on this?

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,483Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hi there. HDR should just work if you direct play media with the correct HDR profile, but I will look into the issue.

Thanks for the info, Right now I'm using the Plex App on the Xbox S. I'm not seeing HDR being triggered when playing 4K HDR content from my server to the Xbox.

• justinglock40justinglock40 Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yea it doesnt trigger but in the media profile it does recognize it as BT2020

But if it doesn't trigger my TV's HDR mode that is a problem,

• justinglock40justinglock40 Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I understand I was just concurring.

• the_yoyothe_yoyo Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am getting my 4k tv tomorrow and wanted to know if there was anything special I needed to do with my xbox one s to play 4k content. The PC I am running my plex server off of has an i7-4770 and 16gb of ram. I am having it stream through my home network off of the box. Is there something needed to be set for HDR? Sorry pretty new to the whole 4k scene so wasnt sure where to start. The TV I will be playing on is a LG OLED55b6p

• abs_rioabs_rio Posts: 1Members

I've noticed this problem too. When running Plex app natively from my Samsung TV it displays HDR correctly, however, when playing the same file through Plex on the Xbox One S the colours are dull and washed out (HDR not displaying).

• William_TMWilliam_TM Posts: 3Members

I'm also having trouble - I've only got a couple of HDR files to test it with, but they're not working. On my PC, with Media Player Classic and madVR to "decode" it and display it properly (eg, with the right colours so it's not washed out), the files play back in 4K, but on the Xbox One S it's all washed out. And I tried one of them on the Plex app on my Samsung TV (UE55KS7000), and it doesn't even work at all - it just results in a distorted mess of pink digital noise.

PC (Plex Server): Asus Maximus V Formula, Core i7 2600K, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 970, Crucial 256GB SSD, 6x 4TB WD Red HDDs, 31" LG 31MU97, Windows 10
    Plex Clients: Samsung UE55KS700, Xbox One S, 2x iPhone, 3x iPad

• thayiosthayios Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here, I tried with my direct on TV app (Plex) and the Xbox One S, HDR wouldn't come through.

Using an LG C65P OLED TV and Xbox One S

• wolverinegeowolverinegeo Posts: 5Members Plex Pass

@Moussa said:
    Hi there. HDR should just work if you direct play media with the correct HDR profile, but I will look into the issue.

Having trouble forcing it to direct play the 4K HDR media. It seems to always want to transcode on Xbox one, and doesn’t activate Hdr (also generally looks terrible). Direct play works fine on the Plex app on my Samsung tv, so this appears to be Xbox app specific.

• roman@loygroup.comroman@loygroup.com Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can confirm the same issue as well. Xbox One S is just not playing HDR via Plex. When I hook up an NVIDIA Shield, the Plex app on that does play 4k or 1080p HDR videos. Same videos do not play on Xbox One S. I can play an HDR game on the Xbox, so it's not the setup.

• ced0072ced0072 Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

When plex people will try to handle HDR in their players?

Windows 10 64bits
    Core i7 4770K, 16G RAM, Asus GTX1060
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

• linkerboxlinkerbox Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any chance on getting update from Plex employee on HDR capability for the XBox One S/X?