If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Media keeps staying "Unavailable"

aladegaard92aladegaard92 Posts: 14Members ✭✭

For a couple of weeks ago I've bought a Nvidia Shield TV which primarily is used as a Plex server. Even though there's a connection to the server, Plex keeps saying my media is "Unavailable". This is a problem on both my Nvidia, but also on all of my clients. My media is stored on my NAS which, of course, is connected to the Nvidia. The only way I can help the "Unavailable" problem is by dismounting the NAS from the Nvidia in Nvidia's settings and remount it afterwards. After this procedure is done I can play all of my media, but after a couple of hours they get unavailable again.

The Nvidia and my clients all have the latest software update.

Have any of you experienced this?

Answers

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

It sounds like when the Shield goes to sleep it loses mounted NAS shares. I'm pretty sure I've seen this happen before. I've never heard of a solution for it though.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• aladegaard92aladegaard92 Posts: 14Members ✭✭

I've heard about it too, but it doesn't seem to be the case for me. In the settings I've manually denied my Nvidia to go into sleep mode. I've even activated the developer options, in order to activate the "Stay awake" option.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

When they become unavailable, have you tried adding media to an existing library just to see if you can still browse the mounted NAS shares?

Where are my log files?

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Yeah, I've tried that. And I can't. The server is available and I can see all of my media, it's just unavailble.

Try rebooting the Shield and then mounting the NAS shares again, then when the shares become unavailable download the server logs and post them here (enable debug logging but not verbose logging, and make sure you do not have the plex token turned on for logging). Hopefully the logs will provide some insight on what is happening.

Where are my log files?

By "debug logging" do you mean "USB debugging"?
    By "Verbose logging" do you mean "Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging"?
    By "Plex token" what do you mean?

• VirtuosoVIPVirtuosoVIP Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same exact thing happening to me. Thought it was an issue with my NAS going to sleep or rebooting itself, but that's not the case. Disabled sleep on the Shield TV and that has not fixed the issue. Super annoying because there is no way to fix it remotely. No way to remote into the Shield TV.

@aladegaard92 said:
    By "debug logging" do you mean "USB debugging"?
    By "Verbose logging" do you mean "Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging"?
    By "Plex token" what do you mean?

Use a web client and log into your Plex server: http://your.shield.ip.address:32400/web

Where are my log files?

I've attached the whole log in a Word document to this post.

• aaronfgaaronfg Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have this exact problem. I'll try and get logs too soon. Hopefully someone can figure out what's up from aladegaard92's logs

• thruster999thruster999 Posts: 62Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've returned my Shield because of this issue. Routinely dismounting and mounting my external content is a major pain in the A$$.

When Shield Plex is ready for market I'll be back - unless something similar/better comes along.

• DavidAndAndreaDavidAndAndrea Posts: 203Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had a similar problem. I seem to have solved it by setting the disk timeout on the NAS to the maximum.

My guess is that if the NAS stops running the disks, the Shield (or Plex) thinks that the NAS has taken too long to respond.

• rljncrljnc Posts: 106Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just started having this problem this weekend, I have a (2015) shield for months without this problem, then this weekend it started. Strange thing is I updated the Nvidia Games app on Friday with the new version, then this started happening.

• CamelKnightCamelKnight Posts: 8Members ✭✭

I've got the shield 2015 version as well and have been experiencing this issue for a couple of weeks now. I've tried rebooting the shield as that sometimes seemed to help. I've also rebooted my NAS and last week even deinstalled plex from my shield to remedy the problem. That worked, fort a bit. Right now the problem is back and I'm running out of options. It worked perfectly for a long time but plex nog working is seriously making me think about switching to Kodi. I'll try the remounting of the NAS and increasing the timings on the disks but after that I'm done. I've been using Plex for years with a lot of satisfaction but a non working product, even one I've paid for, is of no use to me.

• lagoas66lagoas66 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@DavidAndAndrea said:
    I had a similar problem. I seem to have solved it by setting the disk timeout on the NAS to the maximum.

My guess is that if the NAS stops running the disks, the Shield (or Plex) thinks that the NAS has taken too long to respond.

How do you do this on a WD my cloud?

• DavidAndAndreaDavidAndAndrea Posts: 203Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In the My Cloud webpage, click "Settings" and then "General" in the left hand menu.

Look at the "Energy Saver" heading. You want "Drive Sleep" to be set to "off". By default, it's on.

• DFM725DFM725 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@thruster999 said:
    I've returned my Shield because of this issue. Routinely dismounting and mounting my external content is a major pain in the A$$.

When Shield Plex is ready for market I'll be back - unless something similar/better comes along.

Aside from the occasional issue that crops up from an app update (or a full on update to the new 2017 Nougat build) the Shield has been ready for some time now. I feel like you overreacted a bit by returning it unless you feel that there is a comparable product out there, which I don't believe there is.

• DFM725DFM725 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@CamelKnight said:
    I've got the shield 2015 version as well and have been experiencing this issue for a couple of weeks now. I've tried rebooting the shield as that sometimes seemed to help. I've also rebooted my NAS and last week even deinstalled plex from my shield to remedy the problem. That worked, fort a bit. Right now the problem is back and I'm running out of options. It worked perfectly for a long time but plex nog working is seriously making me think about switching to Kodi. I'll try the remounting of the NAS and increasing the timings on the disks but after that I'm done. I've been using Plex for years with a lot of satisfaction but a non working product, even one I've paid for, is of no use to me.

Whenever there is an issue with the Plex App I simply just use the Plex Add-On for Kodi.

@Dfm725@gmail.com said:
    Whenever there is an issue with the Plex App I simply just use the Plex Add-On for Kodi.

Except this problem is a problem with the Shield mounting SMB shares. Not a problem with how the Plex app operates. The Plex plugin for Kodi shows the same "unavailable" status for all media.

@Dfm725@gmail.com said:
    Aside from the occasional issue that crops up from an app update (or a full on update to the new 2017 Nougat build) the Shield has been ready for some time now.

The Shield is ready for a lot of things. Network attached storage is not one of them. Not yet anyhow.