If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Permission BUG] Cannot change volume using plex companion on Shield (CEC)

FuN_KeYFuN_KeY Posts: 97Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

Just bought a shield, and I totally love it. Plex is really smooth on it, I just noticed this slight bug:

Setup:
- Shield connected to AVR connected to Sony TV (android TV as well)
- Shield: Volume CEC: enabled
- Plex 5.4.3.131 (on phone, shield & TV)

What works:
- Changing the volume with the shield remote works fine, using CEC it changes the volume on the AVR
- Changing the volume with another app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.bouyguestelecom.remote&hl=en) works fine as well. Using CEC it changes the volume on the AVR
- Changing volume on the plex installed directly on the TV using companion works fine. It changes the volume on the AVR using CEC
- On the shield, if I disable CEC volume control, I am able to change the volume using plex companion

What does not work
- Changing volume (CEC volume enabled) on the plex installed on the shield using companion does not work. No volume change occurs.

I am not sure if this is a plex bug or a shield one, as I do get different behavior with the exact same version whether it run on my TV directly or the shield. My guess so far is that it might be related to some changes in Android OS (Lollipop vs nougat), especially the permission system. It could be that plex needs additional permission to change the volume on Nougat.

I will go through logs and add them later on.

Tagged:

Answers

• FuN_KeYFuN_KeY Posts: 97Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 10

Here is the log, seems that my guess was pretty accurate:

10:50:50.862 i: [pms] /someIp:55385 - GET /player/playback/setParameters 02-10 10:50:50.863 e: [Remote Control] An unexpected exception occurrs while attempting to process command. 02-10 10:50:50.863 e: An exception occurred: java.lang.SecurityException: Not allowed to change Do Not Disturb state 02-10 10:50:50.864 e: Stacktrace: java.lang.SecurityException: Not allowed to change Do Not Disturb state at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1683) at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1636) at android.media.IAudioService$Stub$Proxy.setStreamVolume(IAudioService.java:788) at android.media.AudioManager.setStreamVolume(AudioManager.java:1046) at com.plexapp.plex.net.d.u$3.a(SourceFile:311) at com.plexapp.plex.net.d.x.run(SourceFile:532) at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:751) at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95) at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:154) at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6120) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:865) at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:755) 02-10 10:50:51.122 i: Fetching [method:POST] http://someIp:32500/:/timeline 02-10 10:50:52.122 i: Fetching [method:POST] http://someIp:32500/:/timeline 02-10 10:50:52.122 i: Fetching [method:GET]

This seems easy to fix, could a dev adjust the required permission: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39151453/in-android-7-api-level-24-my-app-is-not-allowed-to-mute-phone-set-ringer-mode

If someone from plex could provide me an APK with updated permission I would be more than happy to test. In the meantime I did also contact nvidia, as I am not sure if it make sense to request do not disturb rights on a Android TV that have settings related to that.

Spotify & Kodi seems to be crippled by the same bug.

This is still broken on the 5.5 client

Any news regarding this bug?

I do have a response from Nvidia:

Development confirm this is expected and your explanation is absolutely correct. CEC volume requires system permissions. So volume presses that go thru the system (remote/controller) work. But the Spotify app on a phone, for example, has a volume slider which it tries to send it to the Spotify app on the TV which then tries to control the volume of SHIELD. But the Spotify app is not a system app so it does not have permission to control system volume. Development indicated that this is explained in the Android source code as well and is expected behavior.

Could you please have a look and adjust permissions?

@MovieFan.Plex any feedback on this one? It seems pretty easy to fix by adding proper permission, but it looks like my post was overlooked.

• tomb18tomb18 Posts: 54Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does anyone ever answer anything around here????????????

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tomb18 said:
    Does anyone ever answer anything around here????????????

Rarely. @sixones @ManuelPG can you provide some insight if this change is possible?

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

Bump!!!!!!!

Bump!!!!!!!

Still broken on 5.8.0

Bump!!!!!!

Bump!!!!!!

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,882Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Incredible how unresponsive the devs are... @MovieFan.Plex @antoniolg @sixones @ManuelPG @kinoCharlino @elan

@KarlDag said:
    Incredible how unresponsive the devs are... @MovieFan.Plex @antoniolg @sixones @ManuelPG @kinoCharlino @elan

Don't be a ****. It's their prerogative to reply.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,882Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@danjames92 said:

@KarlDag said:

Oh please. You're the first one to give people attitude left and right on these forums. The Android devs never answer anything, even in the beta section of the forums they were active for 2 weeks and went missing. Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

The UWP app that no one uses has features the Android app is still missing, says it all.

@KarlDag said:

@danjames92 said:

@KarlDag said:

Oh please. You're the first one to give people attitude left and right on these forums. The Android devs never answer anything, even in the beta section of the forums they were active for 2 weeks and went missing. Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

The UWP app that no one uses has features the Android app is still missing, says it all.

I give attitude to people who display no desire to explore the potential of the apps they have in front of them. That's the only time I lose it with people. If you are too lazy to explore the app you are using properly, then demand x feature should be here when a actually it is already there, you deserve to be given attitude.

They don't actually have to answer us. Honestly if it's a case of working on the app vs appeasing our frustration with lack of responses, I'd rather they work on the app first. I'm sure there a load of silent devs who read but rarely respond. I'm sure they know of the pitfalls of the app, they did create it after all.

I am happy to finally see some activity on this thread. Next goal is to get the attention of a developper :smile:

Bump!!!!!!

Bump!!!!!!