If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Playback bug] Plex on shield cannot play a file (h264 10bit)

FuN_KeYFuN_KeY Posts: 97Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

My shield is struggling with the file Game of Thrones - 1x01 - Winter Is Coming.mkv.

This file is some kind of special as it is encoded in h264 10 bit.

Client version: 5.4.3.131
Server: 1.3.4.3285

Kodi is perfectly able to play it back.

Find below the logs

Cheers !

Answers

• FuN_KeYFuN_KeY Posts: 97Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Still broken with 5.5/1.4.1

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,033Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

What do you mean by struggling? Do you mean it cannot keep up with the transcoding?

edited February 14

On the client there is a black screen with a never ending donut. On the server it says that no transcoding is done (direct). This is kind of expected as the shield is able to play the file without any transcoding with Kodi.

If needed I could upload an extract of the file

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,033Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Ok. I do see an error in the log. Can get you me a 30s sample file? Make sure you see the same issue. I have 10-bit H264 files that will playback so I'll need to share the sample with the devs so they can look into why your's doesn't play.

Here are the 30 first seconds of the file:
    https://ufile.io/2ee5c

Make sure to disable subtitle else transcoding will kick in (ASS). I did also tried a bunch of hi10p sample from there, and I experienced the same problem most of the time: https://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

Thank you for having a look!

@MovieFan.Plex I tested again with 5.6.1, this is still broken

• teshiburuteshiburu Posts: 404Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

3.63 Years of non repeating media

Still broken on 5.7.1

Still broken on 5.7.2. Would it be possible to have at least a feedback about this issue being investigated?

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@FuN_KeY said:
    Still broken on 5.7.2. Would it be possible to have at least a feedback about this issue being investigated?

You must be new here.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

Guess what, still broken with 5.8.0

Still broken on 5.10. I was hoping for the exoplayer bump to improve the situation

• roman@loygroup.comroman@loygroup.com Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not able to play h265 10bit. Just adding to the problem.

@FuN_KeY said:
    Still broken on 5.10. I was hoping for the exoplayer bump to improve the situation

This should have been fixed. I don't have the sample file anymore that you had provided but it was working for me. Can you provide me the sample again or a new one if you don't have the same one as before?

@roman@loygroup.com said:
    Not able to play h265 10bit. Just adding to the problem.

This should direct play. If it has to transcode, then yes, there is a known issue transcoding 10-bit H265.

@MovieFan.Plex here is another upload: https://ufile.io/r4u2y

I tested most files from https://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/ and it does not work any better.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I see the exact same thing on my Shield @FuN_KeY. I grabbed a sample file from that link and I get audio but no video, and the timeline never progresses.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Ok, I was able to recreate the issue using 2 samples from that site. Your sample is d/l'ing really slowly so I'll check that later. For the anime samples I see that PMS is not analyzing the files properly, which is probably what is leading to the failed playback. Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

Finally finished d/l'ing your GoT sample and it plays fine for me. It does not show the same analysis issue as the anime samples. I'm on the latest Android beta, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Still broken with client 6.0.1 & server 1.7.3

• wmadoss@hotmail.comwmadoss@hotmail.com Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It direct plays on my shield but I only get sound no picture.