Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku Ultra Audio Issues!!!!!

bigwallymonsterbigwallymonster Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
edited February 10 in Roku

Hello everyone. This is my first post. The fact that I'm making a post means I'm extremely frustrated and totally lost. Plex is unusable for me currently. Please come to my rescue.

Starting roughly two weeks ago, audio and video are extremely out of alignment for all my movie files. Audio has a significant delay of 2-3 seconds. I've checked over all server settings, Roku settings, and TV settings. Nothing was changed, and experimenting with new settings did not work. I've tried re-muxing and different conversion settings for some of my files and that did not work. I've rebooted all systems. I've reinstalled PMS and the Roku channel, which did not work. I've tried forcing Direct Play. None of my files, although all compatible and should DP naturally, are working correctly with DP set to force. The Auto setting yields transcoding for ALL files with wildly inconsistent converting and streaming behavior. The same movie might show streaming video and converted audio, I can stop playback, play again, and see the exact opposite. The audio does seem to work correctly if PMS converts both audio and video during playback, but this behavior is unacceptable. All my file types are supported and have always Direct Played in the past. Plus I'm losing DTS when conversion happens as well.

Please help!!!

The only thing I'm seeing that could be affecting my entire library all of a sudden, are the recent audio updates for Roku Ultra (posted Feb. 1: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/27134/plex-for-roku/p6). If this is a bug with the recent update, please let me know what you need from me to help get the issue taken care of quickly.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• HRSCRHRSCR Members, Plex Pass Posts: 311 Plex Pass

Now, after almost two months, it is " The Firmware GATE"

(like watergate)

• nizzleplexnizzleplex Members Posts: 27 ✭✭

I am so pissed at ROKU for putting the Ultra out and taking advantage of me as a savvy consumer. $130 bucks down the DRAIN on that piece of trash.

DTS AUDIO = BROKEN on all of the new Roku devices. AVOID.

• vafroggy20vafroggy20 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 148 Plex Pass

Looks like this is fixed!> @bigwallymonster said:

Hello everyone. This is my first post. The fact that I'm making a post means I'm extremely frustrated and totally lost. Plex is unusable for me currently. Please come to my rescue.

Starting roughly two weeks ago, audio and video are extremely out of alignment for all my movie files. Audio has a significant delay of 2-3 seconds. I've checked over all server settings, Roku settings, and TV settings. Nothing was changed, and experimenting with new settings did not work. I've tried re-muxing and different conversion settings for some of my files and that did not work. I've rebooted all systems. I've reinstalled PMS and the Roku channel, which did not work. I've tried forcing Direct Play. None of my files, although all compatible and should DP naturally, are working correctly with DP set to force. The Auto setting yields transcoding for ALL files with wildly inconsistent converting and streaming behavior. The same movie might show streaming video and converted audio, I can stop playback, play again, and see the exact opposite. The audio does seem to work correctly if PMS converts both audio and video during playback, but this behavior is unacceptable. All my file types are supported and have always Direct Played in the past. Plus I'm losing DTS when conversion happens as well.

Please help!!!

The only thing I'm seeing that could be affecting my entire library all of a sudden, are the recent audio updates for Roku Ultra (posted Feb. 1: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/27134/plex-for-roku/p6). If this is a bug with the recent update, please let me know what you need from me to help get the issue taken care of quickly.

Thanks!

Looks like this is now fixed w/ the latest Roku update. I tested last night and am no longer having the problem! Finally.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,001 Plex Pass

@vafroggy20 said:
    Looks like this is fixed!> @bigwallymonster said:

Please help!!!

Thanks!

Looks like this is now fixed w/ the latest Roku update. I tested last night and am no longer having the problem! Finally.

Don't worry. I am quite sure that Roku has inserted more and better bugs with the update. I have zero confidence in Roku's ability to make the Roku Ultra work correctly. It has had more or lesser serious bugs since its release and every update has failed to fix any without introducing more.

There is something inherently wrong with the basic design of the Ultra that seems to prevent proper operation regardless what the Roku engineers do. The only thing that even makes it marginally usable is that the Roku developer for Plex is VERY good and has overcome some of the problems.

The last Roku that was/is solid in its operation is the Roku 3 but I stupidly ordered an Ultra upon release and kept past the return date hoping, again stupidly, that Roku would fix the bugs. I guess I am allowed a level of stupidity from time to time.

Some of the great mysteries of the universe:
    Why does the word "monosyllabic" have so many syllables?
    Why do we drive on "parkways" and park on "driveways?"
    Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
    When they ship Styrofoam what do they pack it in?
    If you buy a bottle of cotton balls do you throw out the first one?
    What happens if you are scared half to death twice?
    Each pig has four feet and two ears so, why are pig feet more expensive that pig ears?
    Why should people go out and pay money to see bad films when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing?
    What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
    "What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad." Dave Barry

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Members Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all learn from our (or in this case other's) mistakes.

I am a happy Roku 3 owner.
    I will buy a new Roku when H3!! freezes over.

A warm thank you to all those unfortunate souls that have gone before me.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,001 Plex Pass

@JuiceWSA said:
    We all learn from our (or in this case other's) mistakes.

I am a happy Roku 3 owner.
    I will buy a new Roku when H3!! freezes over.

A warm thank you to all those unfortunate souls that have gone before me.

You're mostly welcome. But it's little fun being first in the barrel in cases like this. The "warm fuzzy" feeling gets replaced by "sore violated" VERY fast.

My dog hides a lot (although it is quite hard for a 95 lb. dog to "hide" in an apartment) as he thinks my cursing is due to something he did. Of course it is not and he gets extra treats and cuddles to make up for his distress. Maybe that is why he acts the way he does, he gets rewarded for "hurt" behavior. Outsmarted by my dog once again.

Dogs are better people than most people.

Some of the great mysteries of the universe:
    Why does the word "monosyllabic" have so many syllables?
    Why do we drive on "parkways" and park on "driveways?"
    Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
    When they ship Styrofoam what do they pack it in?
    If you buy a bottle of cotton balls do you throw out the first one?
    What happens if you are scared half to death twice?
    Each pig has four feet and two ears so, why are pig feet more expensive that pig ears?
    Why should people go out and pay money to see bad films when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing?
    What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
    "What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad." Dave Barry

• hackztor@gmail.comhackztor@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 461 Plex Pass

I no longer keep products when they do not work all the way. I return and wait until products are fixed. I learned my lessons with boxee box and they never bothered fixing it/ could not due to hardware. Problem with roku is I have done this 3 times now with the ultra and eventually I got banlisted for returning stuff at Best Buy. I just do not understand what retailers and manufacturers think about selling not finished/working products. If the product has bugs pull it from the shelf until it is fixed. I remember the good old days where you would buy a product and you could not update software/firmware. It either worked or it did not. If it did not you would return it (both retailer and manufacturer would be punished for selling flawed hardware). Now it seems you get flawed hardware and both retailer and manufacturer expect you to keep it and wait 6-12 months for fixes only to have the new fixes cause other problems. The cycle continues over and over until a new product comes out that fixes the previous model issues but then causes new ones.
    I long for a great company to come around and sell solid well built and well supported working software. Google was my hope for software but then even their products are bugged and then they offer fixes only in newer whole operating systems which are somehow limited to devices because they cannot just be like windows and let all the devices get it. Each company has to custom support the newer release which none do because they want you to buy new product. Nvidia shield tv is best android product so far and they keep getting updates but it has bugs as well. I would love to go Apple but their device is so limited with what it will natively play and no 4k (for whatever reason). Apple would have this market cornered if they would just make the devices play/support more codecs and not try to peddle 2-3 year old technology onto people (non 4k chips). Atleast they updated products for 3-4 sometimes 5+ years of software updates.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Members Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6

Amazon's return policy is Bulletproof. Case in point:
    https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming-Player-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B016LBZVN2 - Roku 3 - $57.99

The persons returning those probably didn't like the color or the fact that nearly 50% of the remote was filled with crap they couldn't use and those persons weren't as clever as @Elijah_Baley who took an xacto knife to the useless bits and filled the empty holes with black tape (tip-0-the-hat). The point is Amazon didn't ask any questions and they seem to be well stocked with $58 Roku 3s - the last of the Great Rokus (apparently).

I thought I did quite well with my $67 Roku 3 (4200) - and I did at the time, but now here's an excellent opportunity to buy another Great Roku - the last of a dying breed. You just can't have too many Great Rokus and they haven't made any of those for quite some time (I have sharp knives and black tape).

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• hackztor@gmail.comhackztor@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 461 Plex Pass

I agree that I hate the app buttons on the roku remote (atleast the ones you would never use) but to some they are useful. Biggest complaint i heard before the new 7.6 firmware was that people would click them accidentaly and it would take them out of what they were watching. With 7.6 it pops up a menu. I wish roku would sell a separate remote that did not have the buttons for more $$$ to cover the loss in advertising money or let you reprogram them. While they at it make the remote backlit and I would not have as much issue with the advertising buttons because I am always looking for the forward/backward and hit them in the dark.