If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex can't see mounted drives

MGArcher007MGArcher007 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Hello Plex community!

I have recently decided to make the jump to Docker. However, I'm quite stumped when it comes to creating my libraries. On my server, I have my OS hard drive and then 3 other storage hard drives which are mounted. These storage drives automatically map at startup per my configuration in /etc/fstab. I got the Plex Docker image working fine, it loads and I can access it and all.

In Plex's library configuration wizard, when I set up say, a movie library and attempt to point to the directory that contains the media (which is on one of those mapped storage drives, which are mapped under /media/Helium, /media/Neon, and /media/Argon), none of these will show up in the wizard. I know the drives can be accessed, but Plex can not seem to access them. I know in the past I've been able to change the permissions to allow them to be read from and written to from, and I think I have my permissions configured properly.

I'm really not sure what to do next, but I was hoping someone might have some pointers.

Cheers!

Best Answer

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,773Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Did you remember to grant r-x to everyone (/media, /media/Neon, /media/Neon/movies, etc, etc) ?

Also, if they are external USB drives, please remember to be careful of the mount options. NTFS drives are ACL permissions so won't interfere with a mount option defaults in /etc/fstab. Specifying a username is really only important when mounting a remote CIFS share which needs credentials.

As a quick check.

If media is structured this way: /media/Helium/Movies/2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)/2001 A Space Odyssey (1968).mkv,
    AND they are ext4 (Linux) filesystems,

This would give you peace of mind knowing it's all set for PMS. This leaves you (owner of the files) with full permission, grants same to anyone in the group the files are assigned to, but PMS & anything else has read-only permission.

find /media/Helium/Movies -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;
    find /media/Helium/Movies -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• MGArcher007MGArcher007 Posts: 6Members ✭✭
    edited February 13

Hi Chuck, thanks for your response. My filesystems are ext4, and my layout is exactly as you described above (/media/Helium/Movies, etc.) However, I still can't seem to find these disks in Plex after running the aforementioned commands on the server.

Edit: One of my friends brought to my attention that I may not have set the volumes flag when creating the Docker container for Plex. Is it possible to do this after having already created the container?

• MGArcher007MGArcher007 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

When I created the docker container, I did not pass through the path to where my data is stored. Slowly but surely, I'm starting to understand how Docker works. Thank you so much for your help in the matter. I've now got Plex up and running with my data accessible from within the interface.

• nevindesignnevindesign Posts: 1Members
    edited February 16

having the same issue. plex running on ubuntu 16.04. media on ext4 formatted usb drive which is also a samba share. plex will not show/recognize the drive/folders on the usb drive i am looking for. i've tried a handful of things users/permissions, etc. but i believe you are correct with the mount point issue. can you please elaborate on how to change the mount point of the usb drive and what i need to add to fstab to get it to work properly. some config info below:

==samba share info==
    [PlexServer]
    path = /media/user/92d9ea37-dce5-4a99-8b72-f512537b1984/share
    available = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    force user = user

==fstab contents==
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    #
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=4e2e61ee-09b1-46f1-bed7-0ea7a8379780 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=1b5f55a6-d4b7-42b0-ba8c-a62dedc63638 none swap sw 0 0

==UUID info from usb drive==
    /dev/sdb1: UUID="92d9ea37-dce5-4a99-8b72-f512537b1984" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="Plex_Xtra" PARTUUID="1fc1cd9c-4383-4cdb-b7c8-b8e281013d6f"

Moderator edit: Fix formatting for fstab

• SenacharimSenacharim Posts: 2Members

Found a simpler solution--as I struggled with this issue until about 30 minutes ago.

in /etc/fstab after your other entries:
    /media/drives/Media/Video /media/plex none bind

This "binds" (like a symlink, but better) the specified folder (in this case /media/drives/Media/Video) to /media/plex
    Where /media/plex is a folder (mountpoint) chowned by plex:plex in order to get plex to read files off of NTFS drive.

After that, everything was reading fine. Mind, I did also fiddle with plex's and the drive's group/user/uid/gid/permissons/fstab whatnots, so this may not be a one-step solution. That said, I hope it helps.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,773Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Yes, in Docker, bind mounts are much better. My area of support is Linux and NAS

If you look at the top of the Linux forum, Linux Tips has additional info which might help as well.

I do make use of bind mounts and other direct mounts

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.