If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[BUG PS4] Mono Audio - No Audio

TheDarkLordDarkTimesTheDarkLordDarkTimes Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited February 15 in PlayStation

I have some tv series that contains Mono that will not play with the show in PlayStation Plex.
One show I currently know that I would like to watch with my ps4 in the current room doesn't work on the system.

Mono AC3

Tested & works with Plex App on these Devices of what I currently have.
-FireTV Stick 1G
-iPod 6G
-Android Nook
-including Web Version (OS X/Windows)

1min video. pswd: plex
http://dai.ly/x5bsyha

Logs: DropBox

Each time I try making a sample, I get this error.
https://s28.postimg.org/pmecukbul/image.png

Got the pic above to work but same errors and my video plays constant freezing, skipping frames, which still end up audio not working in ps4.

Here is a 1min intro sample by mkvtool
DropBox

Here's is the CMD Generating the Sample 2min - which made the show very slugish/skipping frames, if i did it correctly, 1st file is skipping this Generating Sample
DropBox

Answers

• lederermclederermc Posts: 92Members ✭✭✭

Does the media play locally on your Mac's Plex web interface?

• TheDarkLordDarkTimesTheDarkLordDarkTimes Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, plays fine Locally and in web version.
    http://dai.ly/x5bsyha
    pswd: plex

Just Playstation Plex doesn't work, was gonna watch with my family but end up as a bit of a disaster and did other things.
    PS4 & PS4 Pro, same results, mono does not work.

edited February 14

I get wrong password error our upload video
    I don't think AC3 MONO is a common audio format. Do you any other Any other AC3 mono files that do work? I suggest:
    1) can you give it a try on another Plex client that's not PS* such as an iPhone, Android anything, Roku or Amazon Fire anything.

2) Assuming the video codec is not strange. Try converting one show to AC3 stereo to see if that's the problem. Most of my videos are AAC Stereo (default) plus AC3 5.1 which is what iTunes/Apple TV prefers.

Let me add, I just ran an AC3 mono/Stereo test on a MacMini serve ring to a Samsung TV App Plex client and to works for me... not that it helps you any.

• TheDarkLordDarkTimesTheDarkLordDarkTimes Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've checked the link 3x, and just now, all lower case letters: plex
    No spaces.

I have plex on my iPod 6gen and Amazon Fire Stick 1Gen and the audio works fine.

The ps4 doesn't work.

Do you any other AC3 mono files that do work on PS4?

Not sure, now thinking about it, out of 533 tv series (35,000+ episodes), I'm not sure what the other ones are but I know I have some do have mono than a normal typical stereo.

Shouldn't matter if its mono, all other devices work with plex app except for ps4, meaning it needs an update through ps4 if all the other plex app works.

If you put one of these nonworking mono AC3 files on a thumb drive then can you play it on the PS4 not using Plex?

@lederermc said:
    If you put one of these nonworking mono AC3 files on a thumb drive then can you play it on the PS4 not using Plex?

Regardless, a default app from a company, in this case, Playstation, Doesn't fully support all codecs, Not all shows/movie will work with that (Companies) app.

Ever used a Playstation 3 for videos without being jailbroken? May I need to say more to that?

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,832Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the report and for including the logs and sample file. We've been investigating possible issues with "mono AC3" streams and I'll be sure to add your information to help that investigation. No specific details to share right now, though.

(I'm also going to move this topic over to the PlayStation app forum/category, since this is really about the app and not server.)

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

@TheDarkLordDarkTimes said:

@lederermc said:

Regardless, a default app from a company, in this case, Playstation, Doesn't fully support all codecs, Not all shows/movie will work with that (Companies) app.

Ever used a Playstation 3 for videos without being jailbroken? May I need to say more to that?

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/music/mp_format_m.html

Never ever used any PS. Link tells you what is supported out of the box. Your AC3 might be screwy or the PS4 might be broken. I'm just sayings you can test for this.

edited February 15

@Chris C said:
    Thanks for the report and for including the logs and sample file. We've been investigating possible issues with "mono AC3" streams and I'll be sure to add your information to help that investigation. No specific details to share right now, though.

(I'm also going to move this topic over to the PlayStation app forum/category, since this is really about the app and not server.)

Thank You so much, Didn't know this have been a known issue and thank goodness it wasn't.

Here's is the CMD Generating the Sample 2min - which made the show very slugish/skipping frames,
    if i did it correctly, 1st file is skipping this CMD Generating Sample and just used mktoolnix
    DropBox

I do have to say this though, I have a Jailbroken PS3, Plays both audio's perfectly but bc the PS3 was made in 2006, the CPU can't keep up encoding the video, its very slow, Audio had the thunder and lightning when the Video were showing them still at the docks getting to the boat.

@lederermc said:

Never ever used any PS. Link tells you what is supported out of the box. Your AC3 might be screwy or the PS4 might be broken. I'm just sayings you can test for this.

Like Chris says, They have been investigating the issue. So meaning, its not the systems being broken, and not just mine and everyone's ps4's isn't broken. Like I said, A BUG that needs investigating.

• anzaxanzax Posts: 27Members ✭✭

im still having this issue, really want to watch some old classics, been waiting almost a year for this to be addressed

• gtosnipeygtosnipey Posts: 39Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

We have a thread going about the audio issues since the PS4 v1.02 upgrade. We heard back from someone from the Plex team once and haven't heard since. Have been following up again and again PS4 v4.72 & Plex v1.02

• SimplyKCSimplyKC Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have had this issue and finally found a resolution when I changed the stream from the original/best of 9.9 Mbs to 8Mbs...then the audio worked.

• outspokenoutspoken Posts: 71Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@SimplyKC said:
    I have had this issue and finally found a resolution when I changed the stream from the original/best of 9.9 Mbs to 8Mbs...then the audio worked.

That fixed it for me too! Thanks a lot. I'm considering converting the video in handbrake to see if that will resolve it going forward with default settings so that other users of my plex will not be forced to manually change the quality to hear the audio.

outspoken