Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Closed Captions always displayed on Vizio plex app

Despite turning off Closed Captions in the TV menus, the subtitles are always on in the Plex app for my Vizio TV. It is very distracting so a fix would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• WaldoTJWaldoTJ Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

same problem on Apple TV (4th gen). this behaviour only started recently - maybe right around the time of the previous post?

this only happens on the Apple TV Plex App.

ALL of the following Apps / versions permit enabling and disabling captioning:
    Web Player
    Fire TV
    IOS on iPad
    IOS on iPhone

it's not the TV doing it - i deliberately have a "dumb" TV (sorry, CIA!) that does not even know about captioning.

in the Apple TV App, you can edit (under Settings) the "subtitles" option to "off" or (in my case) "english (tx3g)" ... either way, they are on.

also - one possibly useful clue is when i try to tell the Apple (Siri) interface to turn subtitles on or off, it presents the error (warning? info?) message: "I can't turn off subtitles at the moment." (or on; whichever command i speak).

i do actually WANT closed captioning enabled at certain times on certain shows; like when i really can't understand the Manchester accent of some BBC show, or when the Very Serious Conversation in a movie is Importantly Whispered Quietly between the principals. Most of the time i leave them off.

but i would really, REALLY, REALLY like to be able to turn them on or off at MY choice.

i suspect the App, not the TV.

• NYSNDGUYNYSNDGUY Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

@leaded1 said:
    Despite turning off Closed Captions in the TV menus, the subtitles are always on in the Plex app for my Vizio TV. It is very distracting so a fix would be greatly appreciated!

Same problem here. Happens on both my Vizio smart TVs. Sometimes it's constant, but sometimes the CC just flickers on and off before anyone could even have a chance to have read them. (Which I don't need to do, and would be happier if they didn't appear at all)

Any response would be appreciated as this thread is 3mos. old, and there's no indication it's been seen by anyone knowledgeable in such things.

• fobdorfobdor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Me as well on my Vizio TV. Some shows the captioning stays on all the time but the show plays properly. Other times the captioning starts but playback gets really stuttery.

I only find about 10% of my shows have the captioning at all, but it's still pretty irritating.