Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Alexa Voice Control for Samsung Clients?

nokdimnokdim Posts: 601Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

I got an Amazon echo dot and got it all connected I was trying to do this:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115000320808-Getting-Started-with-Alexa-Voice-Control

I am able to get that to work with other non Samsung clients and was wondering if this is something that needs to be developed from the Samsung Hub App side or if this development is needed on the PMS side?

Currently Samsung is not listed as a supported App so I wasn't sure if this is an App thing or a Server thing.

I have multiple Samsung TV's - UN65KS8000 UN46H5203
TVs are all connected via hardwired
Plex runs as a docker on an Unraid server
PMS is at Version 1.2.0.3167 cause I use DVR as well
Local server
Connect Alexa and as it to change change the plex player
No issues with media issue is that Alexa does not see any of the Samsung TVs as available players but sees my Nexus 6P or web client

Thanks again!

Best Answers

• nokdimnokdim Posts: 601Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

Ah sweet! I wasn't sure if my new one was Tizen of not so that's good to know!
    I have a couple other H models so that's good.

Thanks again for all your work on this!!!

Answers

Accepted Answer

Ah sweet! I wasn't sure if my new one was Tizen of not so that's good to know!
    I have a couple other H models so that's good.

Thanks again for all your work on this!!!

2.008 was released for my model H and this now works!

• CAL7CAL7 Posts: 40Members ✭✭

Hi, @nokdim . I installed v2.008, but I'm missing something fundamental. Alexa does not see my TV (2014 H) as a player. How did you register it with Alexa?

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,284Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Some requirements:

• You need to have you own local server running
    • You need to be an admin on that server
    • Your server must be linked to your account with the PIN code

If you have all that and start the app up, the connected icon at the bottom should turn white, which means the app was able to find a server it can use to relay commands and it has successfully advertised itself as a player.
    If it stays gray, it's not connecting and Alexa (or any companion app) will not work.

When the icon is white, tell Alexa to use the TV as a player by saying: Alexa, ask Plex to select a player
    It will list the possible players. Then say the number corresponding with your TV.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• CAL7CAL7 Posts: 40Members ✭✭
    edited June 15

Thanks, @Orca , but I'm still not there. I'm running off my own in-home network with a Synology hosted PMS. I'm the only user, so the admin. I'm not totally sure about the server being linked by PIN. The only time I remember entering a PIN is whenever I upgrade the TV. That I do without any problem.

Now I have to admit I don't know what I'm looking for when I try to confirm the "connected icon". My TV screen is the same as this picture from the manual (except an icon with a "C" and "CAL7" where yours has your picture and "Orca").

Can you tell from that whether I'm connected? The TV must not be connected because Alexa does not find it as a player. Alexa did find my server as a server. Thanks much for all your work and help.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,284Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Your server needs to be logged in on your Plex account as well for this to work.

You can also enable the option "Send Debug to PMS" and then trace the Plex Media Server.log by looking at the lines with a
    [PlexforSamsung] tag. More on that in this topic.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

edited June 26

@CAL7 After I upgraded to 2.008 it actually forced me to re-link via PIN using plex.tv/pin or whatever they use these days.

I would suggest maybe try to un-link from your PMS and re-link that is I believe through the server options under preference.
    Also check devices under Plex devices and see that it shows your TV using 2.008 as well.

Also be sure you enabled your plex skill in alexa you can also try to ask Alex ask plex whats up? and if Alexa is linked properly with the skill it will tell you whats new in your library which has no dependency on the TV working and will confirm your skill is linked properly

This Alexa function also works on my plex player with a Laptop running Plex via Firefox or any of my Android enabled phones with plex installed so if you have any of those it should see those as players as well that you can control via voice.

I have this working on 2 different H model one 40 and one 46 inch

TV UN40H5203
    TV UN46H5203