If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is PlexConnect dead?

UKenGBUKenGB Posts: 125Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seems to have gone 'off the boil' as it were. Updates to PMS have apparently caused problems with PlexConnect and no-one is now maintaining it? Or is this not correct?

It would be a great shame if new releases of PMS break it completely. This would render TV3s useless as Plex clients and I was banking on being able to use mine for this purpose.

One thing I have noticed after what I think was an update on the TV this morning (probably released earlier though) is that the WSJ app has gone AWOL. Since I was setting everything up to use that on which to piggyback PlexConnect, that's a bit of a blow. Guess I have to choose a different app now. Suggestions?

Answers

• moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,906Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

WSJ Video continues to be available in Portugal. Maybe not in your Country, or you have hidden it by mistake.

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.4.0411 (beta3) + PMS 1.10.1.4561 (beta) + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP on Win10

No support via PM unless requested by me

• UKenGBUKenGB Posts: 125Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having just reset the TV I now again see WSJ. I must have hidden it, but have no recollection doing so.

Thanks for that, but is PlexConnect still going strong or dying a death?

• groodscomgroodscom Posts: 2Members

I'm not going to speak for the developer, but the older models of ATV are probably being replaced more frequently with the new models which support the Plex app natively. While there may be people still using the older models such as you and I, I'm sure the demand for this "workaround" method has decreased substantially since then. (That is my hunch anyway.)

• moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,906Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

The developers no longer have ATV's 2nd and 3rd generation, that's why development ended. But the code is there, is stable, and if the community decides to enhance it, then please go ahead. I'm not a developer myself but have been able to fix some problems created by new PMS versions, therefore I can provide some help.

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.4.0411 (beta3) + PMS 1.10.1.4561 (beta) + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP on Win10

No support via PM unless requested by me

• mschlotzmschlotz Posts: 218Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sad to say the least. The new PlexApp for the atv4 is basically a POS. Their decision to roll with Apples's player has lead them down a rabbit hole fraught with numerous issues with the main one being what most would call a buffering issue. Then there's it's UI, far from what plexconnect provides which I personally believe is the standard they should have adopted in the first place. What is needed is a developer to re-write plexconnect into a viable app and get it approved for distribution. I, and expect many others, would be willing to help fund the effort. Any takers......?

• pecinkopecinko Posts: 1,089Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mschlotz said:
    Their decision to roll with Apples's player has lead them down a rabbit hole fraught with numerous issues with the main one being what most would call a buffering issue.

Funny you say this.

PlexConnect was/is using the same Apple player all the time without buffering issues. PlexConnect for Apple TV 4 was again using the same Apple player with no buffering issues. SimpleX or what was the exact name of the alternative client - same thing.

Quartz theme for PlexConnectApp (Apple TV 4)
    Amber skin for PHT, Quartz
  • mschlotzmschlotz Posts: 218Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 6

Yes you are correct regarding plexconnect using the same Apple player. What would be great is getting someone interested in taking the attempted 'PlexConnect for Apple TV4', finishing it into an actual app and getting it approved for the Apple TV app store. Plexconnect's UI is IMO significantly better, it allows one to default to a customizable specific view.

As I indicated earlier, I would be willing to help fund the effort.