Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Player not responding to Alexa to play content

Jaco1960Jaco1960 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have Plex linked to Alexa to control playback on my Plex Media Player. I run the latest embedded version of the Plex Media Player on Raspberry and the latest version of Plex media server. Plex is responding fine to Alexa voice commands, however when I ask to play content ("Alexa ask Plex to play Supergirl") Alexa responds with "enjoy watching Supergirl" but Plex does not actually start playback. How to solve this?

Comments

• matthewvmatthewv Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also experiencing this same issue with PMP on my Mac Mini. Alexa will however send content to my Roku without issue.

• gadgetchannelgadgetchannel Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I couldn't get it to work properly with Plex Media Player until I changed the setting "Allow Fallback to Insecure Connections" from "Never" to "On same network as server" (changing it to "Always" would also work but this would obviously be less secure).

• Jaco1960Jaco1960 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Tried to change the insecure connections settings, but it did not solve the playback command problem

• casperarasmussencasperarasmussen Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have this issue too. Alex understands the Plex command but the Apple tv player responds with "can't continue playback because the connection with your server was lost".

Tried the different network settings as suggested, but same error message.

Some help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Just got the Echo and I'm anxious to get this great new feature up and running.

• jper415jper415 Posts: 221Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here.

• hstamashstamas Posts: 570Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here

hstamas

• mathiasuhlmathiasuhl Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

same here ... any news ?

• darkdarkdarkdark Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

... and me too :-(

Ubuntu PlexPass Media Server on LAN, Fire TV and Echo Dot on WiFi
    All on the same IPv4 subnet.

Secure connections is set to preferred

All devices are inside the "LAN Networks" and "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth"

From either device "Ask Plex to play xyz" results in the "Now playing xyz" ... but nothing actually plays.

From dot "ask Plex to pause/resume" works as expected on whatever's playing on the FireTV, so definitely some connectivity there.

However Pause followed by a long enough wait for FireTV to drop to screen saver and the player appears to resume the film but leave the screensaver up. So we can hear it but not see it. Pressing a suitable button on the FireTV remote and the screensaver vanishes revealing the film behind.

Have run out of things to test. Any suggestions?

Mark

• epatchepatch Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Add me to this list. When I first connected my Echo to Plex it would play the content I asked for: "Alexa play Movie" and the movie played. This also worked for a few songs. After about 10 minutes of playing around, enjoying the cool factor, it stopped functioning. Now Alexa says that it is playing what was requested but does nothing. It will play/pause/stop media that I got going using my remote, but not play media that is requested via Alexa. It will also tell me what is on deck, new content added, etc... but will not play it via Alexa. Alexa finds the content, says it will play it, then nothing. I'm hosting Plex in the Linuxserver.io container on Ubuntu server, client is Nvidia Shield. Any news from the Plex people?

"Allow Fallback to Insecure Connections" from "Never" to "On same network as server"
    Did not help

Do Plex developers monitor these forums? Or is it just users helping each other out?

Is there another way to elicit help for this? Forum doesn't seem to be all that useful thus far.