If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Mix on Sonos

imakersimakers Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi - I'm almost certainly doing something daft, but hoped you could help!?

I've been using Plex for Movies and TV Shows for a while and all works wonderfully well... but for Music I've remained stubbornly wedded to Apple...

Having recently finally fallen out with iTunes and Apple Music, I've decided that it's time to move over to Plex for this too. I've spent a fair amount of time getting my Plex music library into shape, and with all seeming to be going well, I wanted to try Plex with my Sonos devices.

The setup was relatively simple - it found my library without issue and playing songs seems to work fine (albeit it through a bit of a fit when I tried to look up Album Info).

With that all said, the one bit I'm having no luck with is Plex Mix... when I select a song and click on "Start Plex Mix Radio", I get a message in the iOS App which just reads "No Music" and then it cracks on with playing the song I'd selected.

I'd expected that when I clicked this it would generate me a playlist of similar songs (it seems to do this well in the Plex app)? So my daft question - could this be a *beta issue, or, as I expect, have I fundamentally not set something up correctly or misunderstood how to use this function when using my Sonos?

PMS and iOS app are all up to date - so any guidance would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Best Answers

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Posts: 262Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 20 Accepted Answer

Plex Mix is working for me (iPad, Android and PC controllers).

I find it frustrating that:
    A) when you click "Plex Mix", the whole track restarts from the beginning once the playlist is generated.
    B) You cannot see a Plex Mix in the Sonos Queue. It pkays and skips tracks just fine, but you can't see anything about the queue except what's currently playing...

• imakersimakers Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@wwwizzarrdry said:

A) when you click "Plex Mix", the whole track restarts from the beginning once the playlist is generated.
    B) You cannot see a Plex Mix in the Sonos Queue. It pkays and skips tracks just fine, but you can't see anything about the queue except what's currently playing...

AMAZING! Thank you... it was B) that was the problem... It hadn't occurred to me to press play next or even to let the song play to the end. I'd seen the error "No music", checked the queue, saw it was empty and assumed all was broke!

So I'm in complete agreement with you... yes A) is annoying and B) is very annoying!

Answers

edited February 20 Accepted Answer

@wwwizzarrdry said:

Correction. It WAS working as of yesterday...
    You either jinxed me or Plex needs to update their Sonos service.
    Plex Mix begins to play for about 16s (as seen in the Sonos controller) but no audio comes through. Then, the track fails and skips to the next song in the Plex mix repeat ad nauseum...

Each track fails with the error message, "Unable to play [current song title here] - Connection to Plex was lost..."

Accepted Answer

@wwwizzarrdry said:

AMAZING! Thank you... it was B) that was the problem... It hadn't occurred to me to press play next or even to let the song play to the end. I'd seen the error "No music", checked the queue, saw it was empty and assumed all was broke!

So I'm in complete agreement with you... yes A) is annoying and B) is very annoying!

edited February 20

@wwwizzarrdry said:

@wwwizzarrdry said:

Plex Mix begins to play for about 16s (as seen in the Sonos controller) but no audio comes through. Then, the track fails and skips to the next song in the Plex mix repeat ad nauseum...

Each track fails with the error message, "Unable to play [current song title here] - Connection to Plex was lost..."

Eek! Sorry about that. If it's of any comfort, since you pointed out B), mine is working like a dream! (Save for the obvious issue with B).)

@imakers said:

@wwwizzarrdry said:

@wwwizzarrdry said:

Eek! Sorry about that. If it's of any comfort, since you pointed out B), mine is working like a dream! (Save for the obvious issue with B).)

It's all good again. It was a network issue and nothing to do with Plex.

I really wish Sonos would build a better controller though. It's like using a tool from 2003. It would be even better if Plex could strike a deal similar to Google Music (android), that would allow their app to stream directly to sonos, bypassing their Controller all together.

• virgiliomivirgiliomi Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex has likely coded Plex Mix to be a "radio station" as far as Sonos is concerned, which is why nothing shows up in the Sonos queue. Sonos doesn't allow "radio" to use the queue because that could allow free users on some services to be able to skip ads if the ads were listed in the queue. This is also why any on-demand music service available through Sonos usually requires a paid tier of service to use it with Sonos.