Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

'Show Artwork' doesn't show all of it.

beckfieldbeckfield Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,554 Plex Pass

Plex Web 3.0.0
PMS 1.4.2.3400

Clicking the 'Show Artwork' button doesn't show the entire image that used to be the background image.

Stored background image:

What 'Show Artwork' reveals:

Comments

• beckfieldbeckfield Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,554 Plex Pass

I have to say, this implementation of 'Show Artwork' is oddly implemented. You set it in the 'Background' setting for the artist/album, but it's no longer the background.

I would have understood, even applauded, if the image was still the background as it used to be (blurred or clear/dimmed), and the 'Show Artwork' command allowed you to view the background image unblurred, undimmed, and in front of the item details. That would have made sense. What you've done is just ... awkward.

• hthighwayhthighway Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 6,490 Plex Ninja

It will display uncropped if your window is the correct ratio for the image (16:9). If you use the zoom feature of your browser you can eventually get an uncropped image, but with unpleasant results for everything else.

Note, this is not a defense of the design decision, just a comment on how to get an uncropped image.

• Paul
  • SteveMcNallySteveMcNally Members, Plex Pass Posts: 307 Plex Pass

On the whole, I really like the new version but this has to be a bug, not a design decision?

Needs fixing either way, but less worried if it's broken than by choice.

edited February 24

and to illustrate my previous post, here is artwork without a crop (`99% uncropped) when the resolution (1920x1080) and window size allows for the 16:9 image

• Paul
  • beckfieldbeckfield Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,554 Plex Pass

Yeah, I confirm that it depends on the browser window size/zoom, etc. I stand by my statement that it's a very awkward design, if it was intentional.

• PedgethPedgeth Members, Plex Pass Posts: 22 Plex Pass
    edited February 24

@hthighway said:
    and to illustrate my previous post, here is artwork without a crop (`99% uncropped) when the resolution (1920x1080) and window size allows for the 16:9 image

That's not "99% uncropped", it's quite heavily cropped. Look in the thumbnail you can see quit a bit of image beneath her chin, in the full size one you can't even see the bottom of her chin. It's really badly implemented

• MDanihyMDanihy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 35 Plex Pass

The blur effect is giving me a headache. Anyway to turn this off and put it back? Or do I just uninstall the Plex Pass version and go back to public. Really not liking this at all.

@Pedgeth said:

@hthighway said:

That's not "99% uncropped", it's quite heavily cropped. Look in the thumbnail you can see quit a bit of image beneath her chin, in the full size one you can't even see the bottom of her chin. It's really badly implemented

It was an estimate of the amount, If you would like to calculate the exact number for it I'll update my post...

• Paul

Point is, despite you saying so, it's quite heavily cropped. It happens to work with that picture of winehouse because it's centered, but the cropping sucks and the fact that it eats more than half the screen sucks.

edited February 24

Ok, so I took a screen shot of your 2 screen shots. The thumbnail is 54px high, and when resized to the same width, the "full size" version is 32px high. 32 is 59.26% of 54 therefore the "full size" version is cropped to approx 60%. Quite different to 99% I think you'll agree.

Edit:
    Here's an image showing the comparison. Area in pink is what's been cropped

• nasxcrwnasxcrw Members Posts: 2

I really like this update in plex web especially the showart. this new look reminds of interface of plex app i see in apple tv, which i think this look should be in all version of plex app (all android, not just newest android tv.) The interface of plex app of other variants eg amazon and roku is horrendous needs a new look imho. i hope they update the interface in all plex app. imho.

• josh.hoferjosh.hofer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 27 Plex Pass

Can't stand this new update to background images/blurred, such a shame.

I reeeeeally need an option to keep it the way Plex Web v2.13.0 has it working :(

• Ga22beGa22be Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Checked out the new artwork option and thought that maybe it would be better proportioned if the resolution was cranked up. But oh was I wrong, I mean look at this!

There is no way to view the artwork in a non-intrusive way it seems. Taking up 70% of a 4K screen when 20% would be more than enough is just crazy.

And most of the time the artwork is really cool and should be showcased. This is just disappointing, I recently bought Plex "Life" and that is in good faith that the product will continue being awesome, which this isn't...

• mcboss86mcboss86 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 128 Plex Pass
    edited February 25

I see what Plex is doing here. But it is somehow messed up. One big problem with all that background artwork is the resolution, if you do not handpick it from google search in uhd. As more and more of the userbase own UHD-Screens it may result in a blurred image, which is kinda okay if you overlay it with text and other information.

As it is implemented into the Plex Web 3.0.0 it is terrible. Either you loose the background image except for a reminiscence of the colors or you get presented a image that clearly isn't sharp enough and/or too large.

See the attached Screenshots for my Macbook Pro with 2560x1600 resolution, 100% zoom in Google Chrome in Fullscreen.

EDIT: To see it in big rightclick on the image and select open in new tab.

And pls ignore my libraries...;)

• vrillvrill Members, Plex Pass Posts: 50 Plex Pass
    edited July 13

Any update on this? Still boggles my mind why we can't have an un-cropped image for our media, or merely a dimmed background as e.g. the Windows App.

• JourneyOverJourneyOver Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

some (including myself) have made styles for stylish/stylus to combat this problem + a few other problems, but if web version 3.0.11 is any kinda sign we are possible going to be in a war of having the devs change classes on us every web release.