Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Rotten Tomatoes Rating in latest Plex Web App

timgonzalestimgonzales Members, Plex Pass Posts: 84 Plex Pass

Is there a way to get the Rotten Tomatoes rating added to movie entries without having to do the Plex Dance?

Best Answer

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 30,880 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

@timgonzales said:
    Ok, just did Plex Dance on my movies library. Seeing Rotten Tomatoes scores now. However, some movies show the IMDb score.

Movies matched with the TheMovieDatabase agent won't get RT ratings.

Movies must be matched with the Plex Movie agent.

Some movies won't get RT ratings nonetheless. Those movies will 'fall back' automatically to IMDB ratings. (This issue is currently being worked on. But it's a longer-term effort.)

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

Answers

• timgonzalestimgonzales Members, Plex Pass Posts: 84 Plex Pass
    edited February 2017

Ok, just did Plex Dance on my movies library. Seeing Rotten Tomatoes scores now. However, some movies show the IMDb score. Why? I have the agent specifically set ratings with "Rotten Tomatoes". Some movies do show the Rotten Tomatoes critic/audience percentage, but some are showing the IMDb score instead. What determines which rating shows for each library entry?

• WunderwallyWunderwally Members, Plex Pass Posts: 390 Plex Pass
    edited February 2017

It's just a guess, but maybe if the movie can't be found in Rotten Tomatoes it falls back to imdb?(Which doesn't mean that it doesn't exist in RT.)

I had a lot of problems in the past with not getting Rotten Tomatoes scores for a lot of movies so i switched back to imdb.

• DavidAndAndreaDavidAndAndrea Members, Plex Pass Posts: 288 Plex Pass

I'm not seeing ratings for anything in the Web App (3.0.1).

I do see ratings for some newly added movies in the Android TV app - but not in the Web app for the very same movie.

Any ideas?

Accepted Answer

@timgonzales said:
    Ok, just did Plex Dance on my movies library. Seeing Rotten Tomatoes scores now. However, some movies show the IMDb score.

Some movies won't get RT ratings nonetheless. Those movies will 'fall back' automatically to IMDB ratings. (This issue is currently being worked on. But it's a longer-term effort.)

I'm getting Rotten Tomatoes ratings in the Android TV app, but not in the Web app. Why would that be?

@DavidAndAndrea said:
    I'm getting Rotten Tomatoes ratings in the Android TV app, but not in the Web app. Why would that be?

You're either not using the new web app (only available 'hosted' for now)
    or
    you are using some web browser extension which might filter out parts of the web app. (AdBlock, NoScript etc pp)

Running Web app 3.0.1 hosted.

Running Chrome 56.0.2924.87. All browser extensions disabled - same result.

Also with Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0 and IE 11.576.14393.0

Plex Server is Version 1.4.3.3433

May I see the Plex XML info of an affected movie?

And a screenshot maybe.

Both attached ...

This movie has been 'matched' with TheMovieDatabase.
    Not with 'Plex Movie'.
    guid="com.plexapp.agents.themoviedb://12184?lang=en"

Perform a 'Fix Incorrect Match'
    pick 'Auto Match' - 'Plex Movie'
    wait a few minutes

The Android TV app displays the reviews fine though. Would be great if there was some consistency!

Fixed the incorrect match - but still get the same result. Refreshed the metadata - still the same result.

XML now shows
    guid="iva://api.internetvideoarchive.com/2.0/DataService/VideoAssets(244881)?lang=en&bitrates=80,212,450,600,750,1500,2500,5000,8000&duration=148&adaptive=1&dts=0"

@DavidAndAndrea said:
    The Android TV app displays the reviews fine though.

RT review is not RT rating
    The reviews are a separate feature which currently is only available on some Plex clients.

XML now shows
    guid="iva://api.internetvideoarchive.com/2.0/DataService/VideoAssets(244881)?lang=en&bitrates=80,212,450,600,750,1500,2500,5000,8000&duration=148&adaptive=1&dts=0"

Sorry wrong line. This is from one of the automatic extras.
    Look in the upper part or, better, post the whole XML again.

• drinehartdrinehart Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,241 Plex Pass

@OttoKerner - I cannot get any of my movies to say they are using anything but com.plexapp.agents.imdb and they do not have the RT ratings. Also, the IMDB ratings they get are not correct either. I have not done the whole plex dance yet, but have done about everything else, unmatch, manual match to plex movie, auto match to plex movie, etc..

edited March 2017

@OttoKerner said:

@timgonzales said:

Yep, my Movies library is using the Plex Movie agent. Thanks for confirming that some movies won't get an RT score even with the proper agent settings, and will fall back to IMDb scores. Will I have to do the Plex Dance again whenever a fix for that longer-term issue is implemented?

@timgonzales said:
    Thanks for confirming that some movies won't get an RT score even with the proper agent settings, and will fall back to IMDb scores. Will I have to do the Plex Dance again whenever a fix for that longer-term issue is implemented?

No, a Refresh will suffice.

@OttoKerner said:

@timgonzales said:
    Thanks for confirming that some movies won't get an RT score even with the proper agent settings, and will fall back to IMDb scores. Will I have to do the Plex Dance again whenever a fix for that longer-term issue is implemented?

No, a Refresh will suffice.

Awesome, good to know! Thanks :smile:

• phoenixwuphoenixwu Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
    edited April 2017

Hi guys, I bumped into this problem, too
    guid="com.plexapp.agents.imdb://tt1878870?lang=zh", got no rotten tomato ratings on Plex Web and iOS plex app. (only shows a star with rating%, just like screenshot from @DavidAndAndrea )

• geeuinitgeeuinit Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
    edited September 2017

Guys. This will probably help. Do the Plex dance, BUT before you add your media back.. in Plex web app on the left sidebar where it has

Manage
    Status
    Settings

Libraries
    Playlist
    etc

Click on your category. For example I have my movies in "Movies".

1.)Click the 3 dots, "Edit", Then "Advanced", then change "Agent" to "Plex Movie", then scroll down to "Rating source" and change it to "Rotten Tomatoes" and Save.
    Feel free to edit the other options how you see fit.

THEN move your media back and manually update or let it scan itself. I've had movies that FOR sure had the star/ percentage rating that now have the RT logos.

• ixionixion Members, Plex Pass Posts: 69 Plex Pass

I was having the same issue with RT ratings not appearing, it was driving me nuts. And after reading this post:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1417709/#Comment_1417709

I got it to magically work without having to do the Plex Dance.

Here's what I did:

1- in the web app, go to settings (the wrench on the top right)
    2- go to Server --> Agents --> Plex Movie
    3- grab "Plex Movie" and move it to the top spot, then grab it again and move it back to the second spot
    4- next to "Plex Movie", click on the settings (the gear symbol), select "Rating Source" as "IMDB", click Save
    5- next to "Plex Movie", click on the settings again, select "Rating Source" as "Rotten Tomatoes", click Save
    6- next to CineMaterial, click the Info button, then close the window
    7- go to one of your movies and click on the dot dot dot and click Refresh Metadata, see if your Rotten T ratings show up!
    8- if it worked for one movie, then go to your library and click on "Refresh MetaData" for the entire library

I know this sounds all random, but doing the above somehow caused some setting to be reset and the RT ratings magically started appearing. I don't know which part of the above procedure fixed it, so I included everything I touched, just in case.

Give it a try and please report back if this workaround is working for you.