Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

BUG: Plex/Web 3.17.2 does not play music and theme songs on ios safari.

udo.christudo.christ Posts: 416Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited August 3 in Plex Web App

all said

Comments

• udo.christudo.christ Posts: 416Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well apparently no one cares for music sections on Plex Web on apple devices.... I don't get it

Again. Not working in 3.2.1. I wonder what makes this so hard to fix

Not working in 3.4.1. please fix Plex/Web to play audio tracks

Not working in 3.5.0.

Not working in 3.6.0. I don't understand why this is not fixed. Is no one using iPads and Plex/web to browse the library?

Still not working in 3.7.0.

• Gdr56Gdr56 Posts: 1,580Members ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24

Auto sign in and play theme music are not default. You need to select in web/ general settings again and save after every update.

This has been the case for quite a while guys.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

I don't follow what Auto-sign-in has to do with the issue. i know that i need to enable theme songs in the settings. This is working on all clients I have except on iOS safari which is my de-facto default platform to use Plex/web

@udo.christ said:
    I don't follow what Auto-sign-in has to do with the issue. i know that i need to enable theme songs in the settings. This is working on all clients I have except on iOS safari which is my de-facto default platform to use Plex/web

Nothing except they are not Default on an update, so if you wish to have these functions you need to select after every update. The screen shot is only to help locating, for forum members not familiar with with PMS Web Client's settings.
    I hope that explains...

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

I see. So you are not saying that music and theme songs are working for you.
    Both normal music playing (aac as well as MP3) and theme songs are not working on safari on iOS since ages regardless of any settings.

@udo.christ said:
    I see. So you are not saying that music and theme songs are working for you.
    Both normal music playing (aac as well as MP3) and theme songs are not working on safari on iOS since ages regardless of any settings.

I'm not sure what your posts are relating too. I do not have any issue full stop. I added to this discussion to explain how to fix the issue with checking the Web setting play theme music.
    If you are having issues with sound on ios, i would be looking at a reset or if you have not done a shut down it would be advisable on your ios device. I have checked using a mp3 I had and AAC without issue. I will say I avoid mp3 generally and if no alternative will convert in handbrake. I find mp3 not the best reproduction when I play through my receiver.

Good to hear.
    I want to be absolutely sure however, since this is not working on any of my 5 iOS devices and you are the first to confirm that it is not an issue.

You open Plex/web in safari on an iPad, go to your music library, select a song and Plex/web plays the song?
    Thx for confirming.

it simply does not work.
    Ive installed a fresh server on a macOS computer to test that.
    i've reset an iPad and logged on.
    Plex/web does not play audio. neither from a music library, nor any tv show theme song on an iPad.
    can please someone do the test whether Plex/Web plays audio on an iPad - best with a synology based server and if this is a local problem of my setup?

• mbenwellmbenwell Posts: 1Members

I am experiencing the same issue and jumped on to the forums today to search for an answer. I tried to play music on plex web using safari, chrome and firefox. None of them play sound for music. TV and movies work great. I also have theme music enabled. Please Fix this!

Next try...

3.9.1 does not play them either

Still not working under 3.10

• Jack-SparrowJack-Sparrow Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I haven't seen (or looked) for anything regarding Plex's ability to do this properly, but perhaps this Stack Overflow issue is related to what you're experiencing- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13266474/autoplay-audio-on-mobile-safari

It doesn't make it excusable; even if it can't work, Plex should at least indicate that to users on iOS/safari.

via Email
    This could be a thing for the theme songs as they might be "autoplay".

Music files which i deliberately start playing by pressing play should however work in safari. Other webpages do play audio, why shouldn't Plex.....

Also true for 3.14.....